Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

A co-worker is leaving us this week.

He comes by and socializes with me...and a couple of others around me daily. There are some (about 1/3 of the people) he doesn't socialize with.

To that end, some of us said we'd go to lunch at one of the restaurants we hit on a rotating basis to say good-bye. Therefore, I rallied up the people he speaks with (again, about 2/3 of those nearby in the office) for lunch this week and did NOT mention it to those he doesn't socialize with (that 1/3 I was talking about).

So, did I handle it correctly? The reason I ask is that I don't like cliquish people and this appears to somewhat like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I would let everyone know, just out of courtesy. I am sure the ones he didn't socialize with will not show up anyways but at least you told them.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
I'd just send an email out to the group and let them decide for themselves whether they want to join or not. If they don't like him, they can always 'miss' the email. If you do it verbally, you'll probably make someone feel obligated to attend who wouldn't in another situation.

Also in an office setting, some people are offended if they aren't invited to be part of a group outing, regardless of who the person is, and may take it personally. Some people are strange like that.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I think I'd mention it to the "other 1/3". Something like, "Some of us are taking Joe Schmoe out for a farewell lunch. I know you and he aren't close, but I didn't want you to feel left out. If you'd like to join us I need to know for reservations...."

Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I agree. Invite everyone; those that aren't friends won't show up, so no biggie!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I think I'd mention it to the "other 1/3". Something like, "Some of us are taking Joe Schmoe out for a farewell lunch. I know you and he aren't close, but I didn't want you to feel left out. If you'd like to join us I need to know for reservations...."
You don't have to include the "closeness" reference. You never know- they might still come to show their support. That closeness comment might make them feel awkward. You never know, they might think the working relationship they have with the guy is fine. Some people don't feel the need to have an extensive relationship with their co-workers. I'd just simply invite them, give them the option to accept or decline.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
You don't have to include the "closeness" reference. You never know- they might still come to show their support. That closeness comment might make them feel awkward. You never know, they might think the working relationship they have with the guy is fine. Some people don't feel the need to have an extensive relationship with their co-workers. I'd just simply invite them, give them the option to accept or decline.
On second thought, I agree.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I'd just send an email out to the group and let them decide for themselves whether they want to join or not. If they don't like him, they can always 'miss' the email. If you do it verbally, you'll probably make someone feel obligated to attend who wouldn't in another situation.

Also in an office setting, some people are offended if they aren't invited to be part of a group outing, regardless of who the person is, and may take it personally. Some people are strange like that.
i agree with IZ411 here, send it out to everyone and let people decide.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
It happens, cliques that is. Every office I've ever been in it's there - the group that does lunch all the time. Trust me, having worked solidly for the past 20 years, I've yet to see anyone get hurt feelings about it. In my personal experience, it's kind of like an unwritten rule that states, "hey, if you want to come, the more the merrier" but it's always the same group. I have friends in different departments and just usually go home for lunch but know I need only ask around to see what everyone is doing and join if I want. A personal invitation is always nice but realistically who really does that on a daily basis? Just my personal opinion.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
By inviting most of the office you've made it a company function. If you leave out 1/3, you can cause resentment in the office. Put the shoe on the other foot: how would you feel if most of the office got invited to a function and you were left out? Like ani said, those who do know or like your co-worker won't show up and if it's their choice not to show up, there's no resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships