Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times

Advertisements

Not to sure if you all can relate but I grew up in a home were I felt ashamed to even talk about my sexual feelings. As a boy I felt ashamed because my mom (who was single) forced her rigged religious beliefs on me to the point where I could not have any thoughts of my own. In her mind sex was somehow bad, dirty and you can't even acknowledge any feelings unless you are married. Anything that had to do with a women and was sexual in nature was ripped up and thrown in the trash at my house! All I could do was scratch my head and say; Gee ma, she was just standing next to a truck; in heels, so?"

Oh gosh, let me take an intermission and tell you a quick story; pretty much all my magazines that I had growing up; lowrider mag, BMX Plus, Car Audio, The source Mag, and others if she got to the magazine first, like before I got home from school my new magazine would be full of holes in the back because she tore out the adds for any girl that was in a bikini selling a product..lol

Anyhow, now that I'm older, I find that there were some positives to the situation however, over all, I can see that it was quite damaging because these same people who try to repress sexual energy seem to ignore the problems that it creates somewhere else. For example, look at all the priests in the Catholic church; they claim they are closer to God because they take the oath as a fully grown men to abstain (even though the Bible says be fruitful and multiply) from sex yet we find that for decades they were molesting children! Well, I fully believe that a significant number of children could have been saved from the abuse if the church encouraged the priests to get married and have sex!

Regardless, I Currently find the non commercialized sex act between a male and female the most beautiful and positive experience in the universe
and how/why people or institutions can somehow demonize or vilify it (which is how we all got here) is just absurd.

Don't get me wrong though, with my new liberation it's not a free pass to be promiscuous because that's risky and having sex with multiple partners is just meaningless sex at some point but what I adamantly believe in now is allowing myself to NOT feel guilty for having sexual desires and if I chose to have children to not use scare tactics or pulpit sermons to control there thinking.

So what do you all think? Have any of you gone though this?

Last edited by Morphous01; 03-01-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Jesus and God said it was if you aren't married.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
I went to Catholic school from grades 1-10. I know exactly what you mean. But you're breaking the cycle, good for you.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i agree with your mother sex is dirty. but that doesnt mean its not fun.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
If you do it in the shower it's clean!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i agree with your mother sex is dirty. but that doesnt mean its not fun.
As Woody Allen says: Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:12 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
All has to do with religious beliefs.

Sex is one of the most powerful emotions out there and there are tons of benefits to having sex regularly:

1. Increased self-esteem
2. Relieves stress
3. Increases immunity
4. Improves cardiovascular health
5. Promotes intimacy (result of oxytocin)
6. Decreases pain
7. Reduces prostate cancer
8. Helps to sleep better.

The USA is one of the largest consumers of anti-depressant drugs. If anything, people need to be having MORE sex. As long as you are responsible about it there is nothing wrong with it. Time to go tell the anti-sex league to take a hike.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
I was raised Catholic and my parents never told me sex was dirty. Quite the opposite.

I love this list below

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
1. Increased self-esteem
2. Relieves stress
3. Increases immunity
4. Improves cardiovascular health
5. Promotes intimacy (result of oxytocin)
6. Decreases pain
7. Reduces prostate cancer
8. Helps to sleep better.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As Woody Allen says: Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.
Ain't that the truth

Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
So what do you all think? Have any of you gone though this?
Nope. We went to church every Sunday, actually had a very active church life when I was a kid. But we were never taught anything like that - not at all. Maybe it was a Catholic thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships