Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to make a thread on this, but the general relationship chat is slow. Would love feedback.

I just recently moved to the Bay Area. I told myself I would not date at all, or at least no seriously during my time here. I'm trying to stay true to that. I don't think it'll be to hard, because there women in the Bay really aren't that hot. But anyway at work 2 days ago, I saw something that I shouldn't have saw.

I work in IT, and I work with a lot of Indians. While I think Indian women are attractive, I pretty much have trained myself to not pay much attention to them. The reason why is because it their culture, so in general I tend to stay as far away from them. Plus I have something against dating in the workplace too.

But anyway I saw an Indian woman at work a few days ago that kind of floored me. She looks very Americanized, has no signs of an accent, and her mannerism are all American. I mean she was smoking freaking hot. She is unfortunately very friendly. My boss introduced me to her (my boss is also an American born Indian, who is pretty Americanized. Yesterday when she came in the office, she looked at me with her nice smile and said 'hello'. I hope she doesn't do that everyday. I'm hoping she sometimes will, ya know, just walk passed my desk and not say anything. That way I can forget she's in the office. I'm also hoping I don't have to interact or work with her much. My job duties are still being defined, she's on the business side, and I know my team will work closely with the business end. Just hoping I can avoid the team she works on.

Anyway guys, what should I do? I've had a great piece of mind having no actual dating interest. I've been focused. So how do I avoid having a possible crush on this lady in the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM

678 posts, read 698,012 times
DUDE!!! thats so negative!!! im only 20 so im not all smart about life but so far the MOST beautiful things in life come unexpected my friend. Go for it dude. Please do why are you avoiding relatioships?? bad past im assuming?? idk but yeah dude thats something

Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
DUDE!!! thats so negative!!! im only 20 so im not all smart about life but so far the MOST beautiful things in life come unexpected my friend. Go for it dude. Please do why are you avoiding relatioships?? bad past im assuming?? idk but yeah dude thats something

1. First she Indian. Indiana only date other Indians. I'm not Indian

2. Second, workplace romances suck.

3. Working around someone you have a crush on my force you to lose focus. It's better to avoid this and simply not bother.

4. I want to only focus on work while I'm in California. I don't plan to be here that long.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
On the contrary, I read a study that said that workplace crushes make people more productive. They stay later, are happier and work harder because they want to be around their crush. I see nothing wrong with workplace crushes.

In general, I'd say take it easy though. You just got there. You don't want to immediately become known as a lothario at work.

Last edited by srjth; 09-07-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
many Indian ladies have a really nice disposition so that can be irresistible in itself...

Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM

305 posts, read 376,550 times
You're doing the right thing by staying away. There's not much else you can do about a workplace crush.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
1. First she Indian. Indiana only date other Indians. I'm not Indian

2. Second, workplace romances suck.

3. Working around someone you have a crush on my force you to lose focus. It's better to avoid this and simply not bother.

4. I want to only focus on work while I'm in California. I don't plan to be here that long.
Indiana has a lot of Indians?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,493 times
Have you heard the phrase "leaving your demons on the doorstep"? I have done really well, in terms of leaving my personal life out of work. Unless my daughter needs something important (doctor's appointment, dentist, etc.), my personal life doesn't tango with my professional life.

Love, crush or other, is a whole different ball of wax. Then again I'm human and a man after all. Attractive women do come into the office from time to time but not often (not as much as I would like). There are a few pretty ones working there, too. So, I'm trying to apply the same scenario as mentioned above for my emotions or hormones. It's not easy but it is getting better.

Here are a few things I say before walking in to work:

1. DON'T EVER LOOK DOWN. Yah, this one is the toughest one, especially for a boob-guy. I tact this one at number one because I know where my eyes will wonder first.

2. Women are people, too. I don't think you bring this or other women down; however, placing them in a spot in your mind parallel to yourself. This makes it easier when you're looking at her or talking with her to remove any feelings, other than a co-worker.

3. This is not a dating service. My passion is my job, not to ask women out at work. Talking with them about work and being friendly is OK. Passion rules reason. (I need to apply boundaries for this rule; what is friendly vs what is flirting).

4. Think of past experiences but stay positive.

These are some thoughts right now. I need to incorporate more to help myself when working with attractive women. I'm no profession by any means of these rules. I've only just added the last two.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Get off that porch and find that darn puppy!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:26 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
You're doing the right thing by staying away. There's not much else you can do about a workplace crush.
I disagree. Although, I'm ignoring the cute receptionist but only due her being a person that I have no interest knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships