Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times

Advertisements

The wife wants to go to church this coming Sunday and she's taking our 8 year old. She wants me to go with them and I said no.
Now, I was raised Catholic and I did like going to church when younger but I am not a devoted Catholic. I said to her I will go to church when I feel I am ready, she got offended by my response and zap! attitudes started flying all evening long. The church she's going I think is Lutheran and everybody goes there all dressed up. If I go to church I feel I shouldn't get all dressed up and I would wear jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers. She was shocked when I told her this. WTF am I supposed to say/do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Tell her that you, as a Catholic, are allergic to Lutherans.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Nobody whats to be dragged to church, Lots of men stay home while the wife and kids go , sometimes fathers are seen only at confirmations, Easter, and christmas services. Maybe she's building up for the big Easter Service. In addition to the religion thing church is where people show off their family, and show how cohesive they are, how well they clean up, and that they don't stay out drinking all Saturday night like the heathens. I would support her in her efforts to take the kids, but church is something I think you do when you are serious about it, because you might get yourself landed on a committee and have to go two or three times a week

Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,412 times
You shouldn't be forced to go to church. And esp to a church of a different religion from yours. You are right. But could she be upset because of the way you said it??

Regardless religion isn't something that should be forced upon nor should it be something to argue over. Nobody is right or wrong. It is a matter of preference. and preferences should be respected. Agree to disagree and move on.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
What's so special about this "Sunday"? Is this her first Sunday of going to church? Is she going to go every other Sunday?

Of course your right Mr. Cat, your always right

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
I agree that no one should be forced to go to church. It does you no good if you dont want to be there. What I have noticed is often women and/or children will attend without the husband, but I have never seen a married man attend church without his wife. Is this yet another double standard?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
I don't get the whole church bit. Isn't God everywhere? Including your house?

Heh that use to scare me as a kid that whole God is everywhere bull

Old 03-27-2009, 07:37 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I don't get the whole church bit. Isn't God everywhere? Including your house?

Heh that use to scare me as a kid that whole God is everywhere bull
Yeah , thats why I belong to the Church Of God On The Street Corner, If Im going down to the corner to buy some Jerky and a cigarette lighter, then god is going down to corner to buy some jerky and a cigarette lighter, and he speaks to me and says "don't forget your lottery ticket"

if I don't post after this it's because I got struck down

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-27-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 07:42 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
The wife wants to go to church this coming Sunday and she's taking our 8 year old. She wants me to go with them and I said no.
Now, I was raised Catholic and I did like going to church when younger but I am not a devoted Catholic. I said to her I will go to church when I feel I am ready, she got offended by my response and zap! attitudes started flying all evening long. The church she's going I think is Lutheran and everybody goes there all dressed up. If I go to church I feel I shouldn't get all dressed up and I would wear jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers. She was shocked when I told her this. WTF am I supposed to say/do?
first off, you should have discussed this before you were married? Did you? Second, just because she thinks and feels the way she does about church, doesn't mean you have to???? I don't get that? But, if your a peace keeper then you go. My cousin's husband is the same way, he hates putting on a suit. That's him and how he feels, she knew this before she married him. They've been married for over 30 years...if she wants to go somewhere which requires nicer dress, then she goes without him?

Church is a very touchy subject...it's like politics...I feel the same way you do, am not at all into organized religion, and if I were to remarry, I would certainly have a list of things I would discuss with my husband to be before we were married. Here again...I can't live someone else's idea of what marriage and life should be. No one should.

That is all I can offer...Good luck...
Creme

Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,229 times
I am more concerned that you are married with a child and you guys apparently have not truly discussed religion before, or so it appears by her reaction. Now if you have and she knows where you stand and all of a sudden she says she is going to this church this sunday, well then that is odd. Noone should be guilted into church or "forced" to go. If the only reason you are not going is because you have to dress up, well then that is odd too but I am sure there is more to it than what you have posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships