Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,781 times

Advertisements

This question is inspired from a Dear Margo thread:

What would you do if everyone (well, mostly everyone) hates your fiancee? The story is about a man who is about to marry this gal, and when he announced his engagement, majority of his family, including extended relatives, did not welcome his engagement w/ open arms.

This then inspired one of his cousins (who is on the "I hate the fiancee" bandwagon) to write to Dear Margo. The cousin was asking if she should draft a letter "of concern" to the future groom, and have "everyone" sign that letter, to be sent to him. I suppose the purpose of the letter is to get the future groom to "think" about his choice of a future wife ... I don't know...

What do you think? If you were the guy, would you welcome that "letter"? Or, if you receive such "letter", how would you respond to such "letter"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I saw a situation like that on the Dr. Phil show.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its kind of like when i go for a lil stroll at night outside the bart where a guy was stabbed last week bek i know that that cant happen to me after everybody told me not to. yep hey what do they know, i know what i am doing.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I saw a situation like that on the Dr. Phil show.
What did Dr. Phil say to that situation? What's the extent of the situation?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I think the relatives should stay out of it. The guy is an adult and made his choice - good or bad - and he is the only one who has to live with his chosen mate, not them. I would be infuriated if I were him.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I think the relatives should stay out of it. The guy is an adult and made his choice - good or bad - and he is the only one who has to live with his chosen mate, not them. I would be infuriated if I were him.
Ditto.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default When everyone hates the person you are about to marry

Whoa...that guy who was going to write a letter and have all the bride haters sign it needs to step back..."STEP AWAY FROM THE PEN AND PAPER"...what an absolutely wretched thing for him to do.

No one has any right to tell a person who they should and should not marry. Hell, no one stopped me from marrying my ex and although it was probably the hugest mistake in my life, I did get my wonderful son out of it all, did get to live in a different part of the United States and do have a lot of nice friends I made and kept while married to him.

What I want to know is how did this guy who had all these relatives who were willing to sign this hate petition against the bride end up with all these nasty interferring relatives? I would have to have a little "fireside chat" with Mr. Nasty Letter writer and exclude him from the wedding festivities...the very idea!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
These are obviously delicate situations. The letter sounds like an awful idea. Before even broaching such a subject, one needs to ask him or herself "just how close am I to this person?" Take stock of your relationship. Figure out if it is such that you honestly have standing to bring up such a subject. In most cases, if you are honest, you'll figure out you DO NOT have standing. In such a case, hating on your friend / family member's choice of mate at such a late hour (they are getting engaged, per the OP's hypothetical) will only lead to damaging your relationship with that person.

Off hand, I can think of only one person who's thoughts / advice I would welcome and seriously consider if I were in such a situation. And no, its not a family member.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
It would cost a lot of friendships. Most people in love don't give a rat's ass what the world thinks of them, and to pull a stunt like this would ensure a quick trip to Vegas instead of a traditional wedding ('screw them', in other words).

Besides, if his wife is that detestable then the friendships would "change" after they're married, anyway. My first husband was very disliked by more people than not, and it affected me, too. Guilty by association, since we often ARE judged by who our friends and loved ones are.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I also think that this situation posted on Dear Margo is a delicate one. I mean, there "could" be a good reason why the majority of his family members and extended relatives hate his fiancee -- she could be seen as "problematic" mate for him, etc.

But, at the same time, another reason could also be due to the fact that maybe, his relatives ARE the problematic people.

Personally, I wouldn't welcome a letter. Letters, IMHO, are a bit "cowardish" way of communicating important matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships