Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 AM

283 posts, read 934,149 times

Advertisements

Should a man or woman be judged by the company he or she keeps? Is the birds of a feather stereotype accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,745 times
IMO, a person should be judged by his/her character and actions. i would judge a person badly if they did bad things and associated with others who did bad things.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:44 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post
Should a man or woman be judged by the company he or she keeps? Is the birds of a feather stereotype accurate?
Absolutely they should man or woman. If you associate with idiots then you must be an idiot as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
Quote:
Absolutely they should man or woman. If you associate with idiots then you must be an idiot as well.
It has been my experience that this is SO true!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:54 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Ditto!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 PM

283 posts, read 934,149 times
never thought of it this way but I like it, why would you hang around idiots if you aren't one? Lots of different types of friends? then what can you make of a person if he keeps lots of different company?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Sometimes you don't even know who you are hanging out with. They have a really good facade and are misleading.

People who seem to be really close and true friends. Yes you should judge. Here is an example of what I mean.

My ex-roommate used to brag and boast about his friends, however, I noticed he kept me at a distance. That made me offended. So finally one day I met his group of elite female "friends" and I thought in my head "ugh, these people are shallow and boring and don't really appear to be friendly at all" ha ha. So like the saying goes birds of a feather do flock together, all the "friends" resembled my roommate (unfriendly, boring, and shallow), but sometimes in life there is a stray bird in there not knowing who he or she is associating with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msboom View Post

Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Everybody has done bad things before, therefore, I should automatically judge you as a bad person for doing bad things.

Actually I judge people on their level of friendliness, humor, and compassion. If they aren't that way and most people ARE NOT, then I generally do not get along with them. Type A and narcissistic personalities usually rub me the wrong way at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
IMO, a person should be judged by his/her character and actions. i would judge a person badly if they did bad things and associated with others who did bad things.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-18-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
I'd say "yes" with qualifications. For the most part, yes, you can judge someone by the company he or she keeps -- however, variety is the spice of life. If a man (or woman) has basically solid people as friends and aquaintances but hangs out with one or two fruit loops for "color", I'd still consider him or her a good person -- depending on the circumstances and other factors.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Well it can work in all sorts of ways. I felt that people didn't want to associate with me because I used to be openly supportive of GLBT people. Before other people knew I was that way, they would just see a single hateful person avoiding and ignoring me as if I was some evil person. Not only that but a lot of guilt tripping and evil eye looks. Well that lead to a lot of isolation and suffering. Hopefully karma has payed them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'd say "yes" with qualifications. For the most part, yes, you can judge someone by the company he or she keeps -- however, variety is the spice of life. If a man (or woman) has basically solid people as friends and aquaintances but hangs out with one or two fruit loops for "color", I'd still consider him or her a good person -- depending on the circumstances and other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships