Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,815 times

Advertisements

I really hate saying 'I love you' to my girl if I don't feel inclined to do so. I think it cheapens the meaning if I utter it all the time. And I hate the obligatory 'I love you too' as a follow-up to her saying it first. When I do feel it, I say it, but due to personality I'm not one to say it every day.

Anybody else?

How do you handle this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,703,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I really hate saying 'I love you' to my girl if I don't feel inclined to do so. I think it cheapens the meaning if I utter it all the time. And I hate the obligatory 'I love you too' as a follow-up to her saying it first. When I do feel it, I say it, but due to personality I'm not one to say it every day.

Anybody else?

I'm of similar personality and mentality in this situation: if you say the "ILU" words as often as I say hello to people everyday, it would lower the quality of those three words. Not to mention that back in my single days, I've had men say those three words just to get inside my skirt, so I know better to look for love in actions vs. words.

I suggest you have a romantic dinner (perhaps, you can cook, so your effort would count as well) w/ her, and tell her that

(1) you do love her, but

(2) you are a man of "action" rather than words, and that you vow to show her that you love her in everyday's little things you do for her (hence, she can't expect you to say that multiple times everyday).

Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
I'm of similar personality and mentality in this situation: if you say the "ILU" words as often as I say hello to people everyday, it would lower the quality of those three words. Not to mention that back in my single days, I've had men say those three words just to get inside my skirt, so I know better to look for love in actions vs. words.

I suggest you have a romantic dinner (perhaps, you can cook, so your effort would count as well) w/ her, and tell her that

(1) you do love her, but

(2) you are a man of "action" rather than words, and that you vow to show her that you love her in everyday's little things you do for her (hence, she can't expect you to say that multiple times everyday).
I like that approach!

I do want to talk to her about it- I think that will go farther than sometimes acting like I don't hear it when she says it.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,302 times
So you've told her already at some point that you loved her, now that first time you conveyed that love was it genuine and real? If it was truly genuine and real then each day thereafter you still love her. It's not a matter of loving her today and tomorrow maybe not, more so a personality trait of yours to not be as loving tomorrow as you were today. So I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you decide to try and convey that message across. If you love her then it shouldn't be a problem telling her so. However, if it was a momentary euphoric high that you allowed yourself to utter those words then shame on you. Please no disrespect intended but it doesn't sound like thats where you want to be.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
So you've told her already at some point that you loved her, now that first time you conveyed that love was it genuine and real? If it was truly genuine and real then each day thereafter you still love her. It's not a matter of loving her today and tomorrow maybe not, more so a personality trait of yours to not be as loving tomorrow as you were today. So I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you decide to try and convey that message across. If you love her then it shouldn't be a problem telling her so. However, if it was a momentary euphoric high that you allowed yourself to utter those words then shame on you. Please no disrespect intended but it doesn't sound like thats where you want to be.
No that's not what I mean. People love differently and express it in different ways. Like mentioned, I feel that talk is cheap, after a while it loses it's meaning. I don't like having to utter the words multiple times every day, or at the same time every day, like some rote ritual. That doesn't mean that I don't feel the love, and in any healthy relationship you have days when you are moved to do certain things over others.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
Default Why say it if you're not feeling it?

Quote:
Remember. Guys who can fake sincerity, have it made.

Reconsider if you have trouble looking in the mirror in the morning.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Remember. Guys who can fake sincerity, have it made.

Reconsider if you have trouble looking in the mirror in the morning.
I don't want to fake anything.

Is it that much of a bad thing to let your SO know, you love them, yet the need to continuously say it over and over again kills it for you?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,302 times
Quote:
No that's not what I mean. People love differently and express it in different ways. Like mentioned, I feel that talk is cheap, after a while it loses it's meaning. I don't like having to utter the words multiple times every day, or at the same time every day, like some rote ritual. That doesn't mean that I don't feel the love, and in any healthy relationship you have days when you are moved to do certain things over others.
Good luck with that! I understand what you are saying and sometimes it may seem a lil much perhaps. Now put yourself in her shoes as she looks into your eyes and whispers she loves you.......no response certainly reduces or eliminates any value of that exchange of conversation and feelings at that point.....wow good luck

Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Just say, "I know". Chicks dig that.

But seriously, have a talk with her, and tell her that it's hard for you to express it in words.

The 5 Love Languages...just because you don't communicate it the same way she does, doesn't mean that you don't express it some other way.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,566 times
I think there is LOVE and there is LOVE...When I really like someone that I feel good with and think of that person 24/7 I say , Love you or Luv Ya, when I am really really in LOVE with someone I say: I love you ____.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships