Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times

Advertisements

Book Lover, I remember making radio commercials when we were kids. Those big heavy tape recorders the size of phone books got a lot of use!

Whyte Byrd, I was a flight attendant for eight years - - the money was nothing special but the job was so much fun.
Not so much the job even; the people I worked with were a blast! I say go for it, too!

(...should I have posted this in another forum? I guess it isn't really a "relationship" topic...oops...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
I don't think it's ever too late.

I kind of think my calling is something intellectual, since that is what i excel at. I am working towards that goal though.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM

167 posts, read 478,684 times
Yes. I am very good at what I do and I am dedicated to my job. That being said I want to go to med school. It is very very hard to get in after 30 though & it would not be fair to my sons. I could kick myself for not doing it before I had adult responsibilities. I was afraid it would be too hard, too much money to go. Now when I call docs on the phone about a patient and they ask me what they should prescribe or how "we" normally treat that I wish I had gone on.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, I'm a dancing lawyer - but I shoulda been a stand up comedienne!!!

I always thought you were all of the above, rolled into one!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
...I want to go to med school. It is very very hard to get in after 30 though & it would not be fair to my sons.

My neighbor was a chiropractor & decided he wanted to be a lawyer. He went back to school with 2 kids and wondered how he was going to find time to study and also raise the children solo. He ended up studying with them instead of trying to find alone time to study. The three of them sat around the table every night doing home work together. Even the littlest one could hold flash cards for him & give him clues towards the right answer. Every case is different; he was just fortunate to find a way.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM

390 posts, read 905,167 times
I think this is a great question. Not enuff ppl ask it. Sometimes I ask friends what they dream of being because some ppl are never asked. Not a lot of ppl take the time to just let someone talk, just to hear them out, their dreams and wishes. Makes ppl feel important, like someone cares about their dreams, aspirations and yearnings, wheather they are small dreams, little dreams, seem like silly dreams, seem like far fetched. Regardless everyone has one and they are important.
I want sooo bad to be a Registered Dietician. For like 10 years I had this deep yearning to do that but was affraid that I didn't have it in me or that I would fail. I finally, yesterday started calling community colleges. Problem is I will about 50 if and when I finished my BA. I'm thinking I should never mind this and let it go cause like a rainbow, it is beautiful but seems so out of reach. I can honestly say, I would be so happy and feel accomplished if I could just do this one thing which has been in my heart for so long.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
have you missed your calling?
Hmmm.. who was I supposed to call?

The only "Calling" I missed was the chance at being a great husband, and a father. I have a very successful career, house, money, and everything else, the only thing that's been missing is the special woman, and kids. I've had 5 relationships in the past, but none of them turned into marriage, mainly because of type I diabetes I've had since I was 14, which really hasn't affected me in anyway.... okay, maybe it turned me into a silly poster on City Data that gets sent to his room a lot! Diabetes scared them into thinking it was something bad because I have to take insulin shots for the rest of my life.

The one gal that I came close to marrying in 1985, we met in late 1979, and we talked about marriage, but unfortunately her mom passed away from cancer in late February of 1985 (talk about luck!) and that affected her a lot, so marriage plans were put on hold, then cancelled, after she moved back to San Diego in 1987.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 PM

Magnum, that is a great photo!

Have you ever met someone through a diabetes association or network? I worked for an endocrinologist & remember a lot of organizations held events...might be a nice way to find someone who understands your disease. The gym I go to participates in the Tour De Cure for Diabetes. (it's on the web) - They really make a big day out of it; long distance bike rides, spinning marathons, silent auction, live music, etc. It's a lot of fun & you don't have to be a gym rat to attend.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
I wanted to be a blood-sucking lawyer, but I became a mother instead. I have absolutely no regrets, it has been the most rewarding experience in my life. Now if they would make those damn adoption fees more affordable, I would have a few extra kids right now.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwana_b View Post
I want sooo bad to be a Registered Dietician. For like 10 years I had this deep yearning to do that but was affraid that I didn't have it in me or that I would fail. I finally, yesterday started calling community colleges. Problem is I will about 50 if and when I finished my BA. I'm thinking I should never mind this and let it go cause like a rainbow, it is beautiful but seems so out of reach. I can honestly say, I would be so happy and feel accomplished if I could just do this one thing which has been in my heart for so long.
Many years ago when I was chasing another dream (definitely NOT my calling!), I toured a veterinary school. I met with an assistant dean of the DVM program. I was conversing with her about my fears of being too old upon completion of the program. She told me she was 54 when she got her DVM. Fifty-four!!!

A friend of mine went back to school for Occupational Therapy and was 49 when she finished & now loves her job helping developmentally challenged kids. I look at it this way: people are living longer and working longer. I better take care of myself, because I'd like to work (or I might even have to work) until I'm 70-75. That's 22-27 years for me - a career length for a lot of people out there. May as well spend the twilight years doing something I love, instead of pining for it because I let my fears in the way.

Hey I know, easier said than done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships