Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM

326 posts, read 880,752 times

Advertisements

I hate cats (dog lover) and for months I've had to bear the neighbours' cats in my backyard. Now that I'm pregnant, my tolerance level is tremendously low.

How do I tell the cat owner that if I wanted a cat in my backyard I would of bought myself one without being labelled a b*tch?
I just dont see why cat owners think its okay to let their cats into other pple's yards.

I had the same prob in Canada once, contacted the authorities & was told that cats are non-restrainable animals so the cops couldnt do anything. I took the matter to court & in the end the judge said he can not forbid the catowners from letting their cat roam around but on the other hand, if it makes me uncomfortable I should get ahold of the cat, call SPCA & have them remove it from the yard. Sure enough, the stubborn nighbours let the cat roam around my balcony & I called SPCA & as they say, the rest was history.

But, with the SPCA saga, I was @ university, living in an apartment & didn't really care for a relationship with the neighbours. Now, we have a house & might be stuck with the same neighbours for a while.

I would hate to be known as the neighbourhood b*tch but on the other hand, I dont own any cats so these cats should get the flunk outta here.

How do I tell the neighbours that if I wanted cats I would have bought myself some?

Also, I'd like to know the reasoning behind this from those of u with cats, what makes u think its okay to BURDEN neighbours with your cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
How many cats? Are they just walking through the yard or hanging out and sunning themselves.?

It seems to me if you get a dog and keep it in the yard, the neighborhood cats will stay out of it. Especially if you get a dog with a high prey drive. lol

<---- I like both cats and dogs.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How many cats? Are they just walking through the yard or hanging out and sunning themselves.?

It seems to me if you get a dog and keep it in the yard, the neighborhood cats will stay out of it. Especially if you get a dog with a high prey drive. lol

<---- I like both cats and dogs.
Two cats mating, sunning themselves, stamping on freshly mowed lawn, peeing on flowers I wanna smell etc.

We are not ready for a dog yet & we won't get a dog just so it "hunts" for the cats.

Not only do I hate cats, I'm also terrified of them especially the large black one...something very sinister about it.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Cats are cool. Everyone enjoys them. Why shouldn't you

Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Here's the problem. One cannot control where cats go. They have decided they like your yard. If you keep your lawn wet (I did not say wet the cats) they'll stay away. Cats are very smart and some have a vicious sense of humor. If they think you don't like them (or are scared) they may find it amusing to scare you. I had a cat do this to a neighbor. We tried to keep him so she could leave and come home but we didn't always get him in time. I swear he was laughing at her. Her husband thought so, too.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Well I know people who spray cats down with water hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Here's the problem. One cannot control where cats go. They have decided they like your yard. If you keep your lawn wet (I did not say wet the cats) they'll stay away. Cats are very smart and some have a vicious sense of humor. If they think you don't like them (or are scared) they may find it amusing to scare you. I had a cat do this to a neighbor. We tried to keep him so she could leave and come home but we didn't always get him in time. I swear he was laughing at her. Her husband thought so, too.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
You might try the Pets forum ... this topic comes up quite a bit.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
CESpeed see that's what I have a problem with. Why can't pple keep their cats at home indoors? Or outside on a leash?

Alternatively, if you want your cat outdoors, maybe buy yourself a yard the size of Michael Jacksons Neverland so u dont burden the neighbours?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:28 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
My cats do live indoors. Have you ever tried to put a leash on a cat? You won't do it again. Indoors is healthier for cats but some people feel it's cruel to lock up a wild animal and cats, even domestic ones, are considered wild animals. That's why you don't need a license for them.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
by putting ammonia in the garden.
cats listen much better than owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships