Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,903 times

Advertisements

In the past I was a shallow person because of my own insecurities. I had to be with that hot chick to make me feel better...so let's not hate on all shallow people. They might have problems beyond what the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Well I don't particularly care for shallow people, really don't find that I have much in common with them, but if someone wants to be shallow, then it's certainly their right. I don't "hate" on them either, just don't really hang with anyone that is like that.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
.If you want to select people to date based on shallow criteria, go for it. Just understand most people find shallowness unattractive and want to be selected because they are a good person and just because they look good.
Actually, shallow people find each other quite attractive - as long as the money and looks hold out.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Not sure if I get the point. If you took all the posts on this forum for face value anyone who didn't wish to date someone else that:

..had 3 kids already
..was over 500lbs
..stares at you for a solid 15mins from afar with an "I'm gunna getcha!" look
..or comes up to you with a pickup line that degenerates into why you went to the bathroom earlier
..and how many kids you dropped off at the pool when you went

as "shallow".

EVERYONE has criteria, some of them are surface level, if that's the only criteria you have to date someone (for a serious relationship), then ya, best of luck as that's seen through fairly fast by both sexes.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I don't know that being shallow is as much of a right as it is a personality trait but, I do think that a wise person who has lived life and has many life experiences does have a right to turn their nose up or down at a certain type of person or situation.
I've lived quite a bit, had numerous and sometimes sobering life experiences which are usually reserved for someone much older than myself yet I find that it's easy for me to figure people and situations out quickly and make my own assumptions about things which almost always turn out to be correct.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:31 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,992 times
People are shallow because they only have whats pleasing to the eye and nothing more than talking about themselves actually thinking its interesting. Trust me, I had a couple shallow friends, and they were dumb as rocks. I emailed one to end our friendship and she tried to sue me for defamation of character. Idiot.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think the OP wants to be allowed to be shallow without judgement.
i'm not shallow at all.

it's just a thought i had during the day, that's all.

As I said before, I couldn't care less if a person is shallow. But I don't think a person should be criticised for being so if they are.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Of course people are allowed to behave any way they so choose. However, a relationship based solely on looks won't make it too far out of the gate. We are not all beautiful forever and when that starts to disappear there has to be some substance underneath to sustain a relationship.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
People have the right to be whoever and whatever they want. They DO NOT, however have the right to be mean to another human being and being mean is part of being shallow. I have yet to meet a shallow person who is not also outwardly LOUD, BRASH and MEAN to perhaps someone who doesn't exactly look how they want them to. How many times have you seen a shallow person cover their mouth with their hand and whisper to a friend about maybe a fat guy or fat girl, then laugh...come on, we have all seen it and it is mean.
so...people can act how they choose, but it's not ok for this to happen? Aren't people cruel, and isn't life tough?
Quote:
People, like what they like and do want a certain "type" of SO and that is ok, just don't broadcast it and you won't be labeled as shallow and don't be mean to those of us who don't "fit the bill" and no one will know except you and God how shallow you are.
We all have our right to any attitude we want. Accordingly, I don't hate on shallow people. I'm not a judgemental person.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I couldn't care less if a person is shallow. But I don't think a person should be criticised for being so if they are.
That's akin to believing nobody should be judged for what they choose to look like on the outside when they go somewhere.

If I show up in sweat-pants, disheveled hair, and a wife-beater tee at work, do you think I shouldn't be judged on presenting myself that way?

Same thing here. Now if we're talking about those looking solely for bed-hopping companionship, they're looking for something without depth in my view to start with, so I wouldn't expect really any to look much further than that.

But if your looking for an actual relationship and your sole criteria for it is what I consider shallow, then, ya, I have no qualms giving my "" faces.

Again, if you went by what has been stated here in various threads by people, everyone is someone's definition of shallow, which is a particular piece of amusement to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships