Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:55 PM

324 posts, read 862,785 times

Advertisements

Fibromyalgia, Depression May Be Part of Same Spectrum

Joan Arehart-Treichel

Major depression and fibromyalgia appear to share a common genetic risk factor or factors. One such factor could be dysfunction in the serotonin neurotransmitter system.
The origin of fibromyalgia—a syndrome characterized by widespread pain and generalized tender points—is elusive. Psychologically stressful events do not seem to trigger or reawaken fibromyalgia pain, a recent study of persons impacted by the events of September 11, 2001, suggested (Psychiatric News, January 17, 2003).
In contrast, since patients with fibromyalgia often have a history of major depressive disorder, it's possible that a genetic predisposition toward depression triggers fibromyalgia. Findings pointing to this hypothesis were reported in the July issue of Pain. The study was headed by Karen Raphael, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry at New Jersey Medical School. Even as early as the 1940s, there were suspicions that fibromyalgia and depression were closely intertwined. Since then, numerous studies have found that fibromyalgia patients are at increased risk for major depression. Some researchers, in fact, are convinced that fibromyalgia is a psychiatric disorder, and some people in the field have suggested that the term "fibromyalgia" be replaced by terms such as "affective spectrum disorder" or "somatoform pain disorder."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:36 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
Fibromyalgia, Depression May Be Part of Same Spectrum

Joan Arehart-Treichel

Major depression and fibromyalgia appear to share a common genetic risk factor or factors. One such factor could be dysfunction in the serotonin neurotransmitter system.
The origin of fibromyalgia—a syndrome characterized by widespread pain and generalized tender points—is elusive. Psychologically stressful events do not seem to trigger or reawaken fibromyalgia pain, a recent study of persons impacted by the events of September 11, 2001, suggested (Psychiatric News, January 17, 2003).
In contrast, since patients with fibromyalgia often have a history of major depressive disorder, it's possible that a genetic predisposition toward depression triggers fibromyalgia. Findings pointing to this hypothesis were reported in the July issue of Pain. The study was headed by Karen Raphael, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychiatry at New Jersey Medical School. Even as early as the 1940s, there were suspicions that fibromyalgia and depression were closely intertwined. Since then, numerous studies have found that fibromyalgia patients are at increased risk for major depression. Some researchers, in fact, are convinced that fibromyalgia is a psychiatric disorder, and some people in the field have suggested that the term "fibromyalgia" be replaced by terms such as "affective spectrum disorder" or "somatoform pain disorder."
Well, I don't have fibro so I can't speak directly to that but I can say that citing one single source would not hold in any scientific forum. The debate over the causation of connective tissue and autoimmune disorders is vibrant and arguments exist on both sides of the spectrum.

For what it's worth... I do believe that there's a stress trigger for MOST illnesses/ailments. If you study neurophysiology and understand the autonomic ns and the biochemical processes that occur during a stress response (similar with anger/grief) you can better understand the strain that puts on your body as a whole.

What you neglect to mention is that with these illnesses there is also the chicken/egg argument. Is the illness first and then depression onset because of the frustrations of chronic illness or the depression first and then manifestation of physiological difficulties as a result of biochemical/emotional processes?? There are entire doctoral programs dedicated to training professionals who only work with individuals and families dealing with chronic illnesses and by the fact that you choose to cite one article as your defense, I seriously doubt that you are a grad of one of these programs.

Again, I have lupus, not fibro so I can't speak to that illness... but I can say that "mentally unstable" and "having a connection to depression" are two different tones and if you misspoke the first time, perhaps an apology would be more appropriate than a misrepresentation of a complete set of scientific data.

Lupus can end with coma/death (my grandmother died of it when my mom was only 2 years old) but some people, even scientists, still believe it doesn't exist outside of "mentally unstable" people... I doubt most of the millions of people who suffer with this illness would agree... and in fact, I bet most of them are more stable than most in order to manage the difficulties of a chronic illness and stressors of normal life.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:42 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
For what it's worth, it came to a head tonite, where after, she told me that 2 weeks ago she didn't think she was the one for me (but pals still ok), well....
I told her she could be right and then called her for an answer or rebuttal once every other day. I really liked her a lot, thanks to her illness, which I think she overblows, the only thing I got was a text message 9 days ago, saying feeling pretty bad, will call you when I feel better. So basically one text message in 2.5 weeks.
If she sent me that kind of text message every two or three days, that would have been ok, I don't think that takes much of an effort. Takes one minute, are fibro sufferers really that sick during flare ups they can't even do that?
Do fibro people sleep for 14 to 18 hours a day too?
I don't get it. I feel dissed. I know her life is hard, but it shouldn't be that hard to the point that you can't return contact for 3 days or more of a friend who really cared about her. Not seeing me in person (which I could understand), but returning a simple phone call.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM

144 posts, read 597,497 times
I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet but I hope that you are still reading it so you read my post. You stated that you had been on 4 dates with her so have you thought about the fact that she might not feel comfortable going into detail about her illness. And to speak to you will in the middle of a crisis would generally lead to her having to try to explain about her illness to you. Not to mention that when your feeling TERRIBLE trying to communicate what your going through to someone that you like ( and don't want to scare off) is a daunting thing to do. That takes tact and must be handled carefully and when your feeling awful you usually aren't focusing on things like that, usually you are focused on trying to get through the pain or on doing the things that are essential.

After reading the 1st page, as I did, you should pick up on the comments that people have made. Having illnesses like fibromyalgia and other rheumatoid disorders are often misunderstood so people who have these illness have to deal with people who don't believe they are sick-who might give them a hard time, doctors, pain/what ever comes with their illness, and on top of that trying to live a normal life (doing everyday things associated with caring for yourself) and trying to enjoy life like dating.

This is coming from someone with a rare rheumatoid illness and it is hard enough trying to do normal things when I'm in a crisis but then everyday things take a little more effort. And if you like someone it is a hard line to walk of trying to keep your illness from someone so as not to scare them off.

Perhaps you should wait until she is feeling better and have a talk with her about her illness ( if you feel dating someone with a chronic illness is something you can handle) let her know that you are trying to understand but that perhaps she needs to communicate with you alittle better.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 PM

144 posts, read 597,497 times
Default Plz educate yourself on the health issues & for your sakes and the other person don't date someone with chronic illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I really liked her a lot, thanks to her illness, which I think she overblows, the only thing I got was a text message 9 days ago, saying feeling pretty bad, will call you when I feel better. So basically one text message in 2.5 weeks.
If she sent me that kind of text message every two or three days, that would have been ok, I don't think that takes much of an effort. Takes one minute, are fibro sufferers really that sick during flare ups they can't even do that?
Do fibro people sleep for 14 to 18 hours a day too?
I don't get it. I feel dissed. I know her life is hard, but it shouldn't be that hard to the point that you can't return contact for 3 days or more of a friend who really cared about her. Not seeing me in person (which I could understand), but returning a simple phone call.
I obviously just finished reading and she made a good choice based on your above bolded opinion of her to decide that you were not someone she should be dating. It really is hard living with an autoimmune disorder, some people have worse experiences than others but no one needs a person in their life who is going to cause more stress for them. And to answer your question about the sleep I once slept around 36-48 hours with only brief momments of being awake before FALLING back asleep. Literally the work week ( a desk job had me so tired) that I slept the entire weekend, I don't remember eating.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Like, InformationPlease, I have Lupus and, as IP said, it does share some characteristics with Fibromyalgia. Through auto-immune disease support groups, I've met quite a few people who have Fibromyalgia but it's all secondary to something else, like Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Fibro has a lot of stereotypes associated with it. Some docs believe it exists, many do not. I was told by two docs that I have fibro in addition to Lupus and by others that all of my symptoms are Lupus-related and that's what I tend to think, as well. One of my docs says he was taught in medical school that Fibro is the diagnosis you give when patients come in persistently with muscle and fatigue complaints and painful "flares" but nothing shows up in the lab work. I dunno.

It is interesting, though, that the basic treatment for Fibro is taking an anti-depressant. A funny but irritating story -- one of the docs who told me I do have Fibro along with Lupus decided to try me on one of the anti-depressants (Cymbalta). Because of the pain in my joints and from inflammation in my connective tissue (that what Lupus does), I was having trouble sleeping and he thought the Cymbalta would help. I said I'd try it, WTH.

I gave it the ole college try for a few months and noticed no relief at all in my joint pain/ability to sleep but a truly embarrassing side effect started. I'd start laughing uncontrollably at times when levity was required. I couldn't predict when it would happen and I couldn't stop the laughing spells. It was AWFUL! I actually started laughing like I was mad when a friend was telling me about her mum's worsening Alzheimer's! I'd never had this problem before and figured it was from the Cymbalta. Sure enough, when I stopped Cymbalta, the laughing bit stopped, too. And the doc who said I have fibro and prescribed the anti-depressant is backing off the fibro claim now.

There IS some research (as posted above) that Fibro and Depression have some sort of brain/pain chemistry in common. However, clinical depression can also cause aches and pains so how does one differentiate between the two? I have no idea.

What I'm trying to say is that it's quite possible depression is playing a huge factor in your friend's condition, whether that means she's got Fibro with depression or clinical depression alone. I know it's difficult, but you might encourage her to seek counseling or join a support group to help.

I know that with Lupus, I can't feel sorry for myself or take to my bed. Yes, it does take planning and special considerations to have a social life but you can do it. A good night's sleep, an afternoon nap, a healthy diet, and as much exercise as you can tolerate help immensely. Taking one's prescribed meds regularly is important, too. I can get a bit sloppy about taking my immuno-suppressants sometimes but they're imperative in warding off really bad flares.

I guess you need to speak frankly with her (in person, not via phone, email or text message) and decide how much you're willing to get involved and whether the relationship is feasible.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Again, I have lupus, not fibro so I can't speak to that illness... but I can say that "mentally unstable" and "having a connection to depression" are two different tones and if you misspoke the first time, perhaps an apology would be more appropriate than a misrepresentation of a complete set of scientific data.

Lupus can end with coma/death (my grandmother died of it when my mom was only 2 years old) but some people, even scientists, still believe it doesn't exist outside of "mentally unstable" people... I doubt most of the millions of people who suffer with this illness would agree... and in fact, I bet most of them are more stable than most in order to manage the difficulties of a chronic illness and stressors of normal life.
That's interesting -- I've never heard this before. The rheumatologists I see have pointed to the latest Lupus research being geared toward hormone fluctuation, in addition to an an affected gene. The hormone thing would make a lot of sense since nearly 90 percent of the patients with SLE are women.

I seem to fit the hormone theory. What I now know was Lupus attacked me vigorously after the birth of my son. I also had a history of miscarriage, which is typical. I had a spontaneous remission for a while and then it hit me like crazy again when I developed polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis and later needed a hysterectomy. My worst disease activity has coincided with medical events involving hormones. Weird.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Please don't be ignorant about it. It no more comes with emotional instability than does a cold or flu. It's all in your attitude and outlook. Like I said above, attitude is everything. I'm one of the most positive people you could meet and I have fibro.
The system won't let me rep you, grrrr, so I just wanted to say you have a great attitude!!!! Well done!!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You just have to decide if this is how you want to live your life.
And it sound bad now;it can only get worse!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
My wife was diagnosed with FM two years ago....she has no real mood swings with it and goes every day....some days are worse than others and there are days you can tell she is worn out and in pain,but she still goes.

I can only go by her case,but she seems to have no trouble calling me a half dozen times a day and chewing my ass out about something.

Last edited by Swampmonster; 07-18-2009 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships