Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,186,872 times

Advertisements

In North Carolina when you are 16 you are of consenting age and nothing can be done period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,671,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
A close friend of mine recently told me that she found out her 16 year old son is having sex with her 28 year old neighbor - she came home from work early and found them in his bedroom.

She wants to press charges against the woman but her husband told her she needs to let it go because all it's going to do is embarrass their son and the most important thing to do right now is talk to him about safe sex.

I know she called because she wanted me to validate her stance on this but a small part of me sides with her husband. Their son is going to be a senior in high school in a few months and in a year going away to college, where he'll be free to sleep with whomever he wants. And in my mind, it's not like the lady was raping him - I don't think this is going to cause him any long-term mental anguish.

When I was in high school it was quite common for the girls to date older guys; nobody seemed to have a problem with it then - it was more like a little status bump to have an older boyfriend

Of course, when I said that to her she told me to remember this day when my son starts having sex what do you guys think?
I do not agree with you, double standard. If you had a 16 year old daughter in the same situation, having sex with the 28 year old male neighbor. Would you turn your head and say "as long as its safe sex, it's ok". NO WAY!!!!!
I'd call the police so fast her head would spin.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,651,501 times
I don't agree with it at all, it's not different than a teacher sleeping with her student and that shyt happens all the time and guess what? THEY go to jail. Doesn't matter the scenario, she's old enough to know better and he's a minor. The ONLY saving grace she would have would be the state laws. In my eyes though and as a Mother, I'd have her brought up immediately on charages and suffer the consequences with my child (embarrassment, etc).

Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,867,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
If it were a 28 year old guy and a 16 year old girl - he would be in jail.

Double standard.
Very true i remember the a high school around here had a story about a teacher doing the same one was a man....he was given a 53 year sentence and one a woman...suspended sentence plus a severance package. While i generally am not a fan of aoc laws in the form they are in now...."and the age should be a flat 15 since that's when most kids start anyway" you can't just cherry pick things. You still have to enforce that laws on the book until they change.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I don't agree with it at all, it's not different than a teacher sleeping with her student and that shyt happens all the time and guess what? THEY go to jail. Doesn't matter the scenario, she's old enough to know better and he's a minor. The ONLY saving grace she would have would be the state laws. In my eyes though and as a Mother, I'd have her brought up immediately on charages and suffer the consequences with my child (embarrassment, etc).

You couldn't if you live in pa as you say it's legal so the police really can't do anything there.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,651,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
You couldn't if you live in pa as you say it's legal so the police really can't do anything there.
That's why I mentioned state laws and that wouldn't matter to me, I'd find a way to bring her up on charges regardless of the laws for minors. There's alway something that can be done to teach a lesson.

The point being, regardless of laws, from a moral and ethical standpoint it's wrong and sick.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
That's why I mentioned state laws and that wouldn't matter to me, I'd find a way to bring her up on charges regardless of the laws for minors. There's alway something that can be done to teach a lesson.

The point being, regardless of laws, from a moral and ethical standpoint it's wrong and sick.

Unless you are talking about lying in which you would then be charged with fraud....and most likely alienate your child really your options are limited. From a moral of ethical standpoint it is debatable depending on your beliefs. I don't feel a 16 year old is emotionally prepared to date someone that age either, but some people have no issue with it. The same way we can't cherry pick our laws to enforce we also can't go around lying to punish legal acts because we don't happen to agree with them. Your son is 16....you simply ban him from seeing her....simple enough.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,197,939 times
Any young guy having sex with an older woman should consider himself as lucky and go for it. Such opportunities are very rare.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Any young guy having sex with an older woman should consider himself as lucky and go for it. Such opportunities are very rare.
I'm gonna wager a bet and say you are a guy?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,551 times
When my son was 11 some older girl who was 17 used to have my son kiss her..Im talking french kiss and everything..My best friend found out..So my bestfriend its a guy, and I went to her house...And let me tell you we had this girl scared that when my son tried to go to her house she wouldnt let him in...She wouldnt kiss him after that..My son had no idea why she stopped wanting to kiss him...
I told my son when he got older he is 22 now why she stopped kissing him..We laugh about it now...My son said I never knew you knew about her..I didnt tell her mom..I didnt want to embarrass the girl..If she would've done more than kissing then I would've taken it further.
Now if I had the chance I'd do Jacob you know from Twilight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships