Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIANEandSNICKERS View Post
I like the idea about having a drink sent over the best. It is a good way to test the waters. This happened to me the last time I was out and the waitress pointed out who sent it over. I went over to introduce myself and chat with him. There were no sparks but I found this approach very comfortable. Me, my friends, and his ended up playing pool together all night and we had great time. I can't imagine anything worse then walking up to a girl and trying to talk to her with a bunch of giggly friends in the background. Send the drink!!

I'm not familar with the bar scene but I'm sure there are women who would still accept the drink even if she is not interested-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,313,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
Whenever I go out with my buddies and we spot a cute girl, they're always pushing me to go talk to her, but I've never been able to figure out exactly how to go about it without it being weird and awkward.

I've always thought it'd be weird if someone I didn't know just came up started talking to me.

What's the best way to approach this? I know everybody says "just be yourself" which is fine, because I never try to be somebody I'm not.

But it just feels so awkward to just approach a girl I don't know and TRY to start a conversation.

You gals got any input?

Listen, i'm going to give you some very important advice.

I haven't bothered to read through the thread because I've found your initial response very troubling. Don't take this the wrong way, in no way is it a personal attack but by asking a women this question (blatantly) your willingly handing over your balls.

Listen the only currency that life accepts is courage.

Everyone says "be yourself" and they're right, but you say "It feels weird" when someone unfamiliar makes an attempt to start a conversation with you. Have you ever asked yourself why it felt weird for you?

What you need is practice.

Start making conversation with random people, when your buying groceries or making a transaction in the bank etc. All of this will help you because its based on trial and error. You can't be afraid of failing if you want to succeed. You won't know how that cute girl is going to respond if you just stand watching her from afar, and when she walks away thats a wasted opportunity. The goal is learning how to communicate, which extends well beyond just making conversation with attractive women.

The first time you learned how to walk i'm sure it was very awkward and your parents thought it was funny. Eventually you learned how to walk in a non awkward manner and then you learned to run.

Learn how to walk first, then you'll be able to run easily.

(In the future just remember, asking Woman's advice for a question like this is equal to letting yourself be emasculated or castrated.)

Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,995,897 times
i really like it especially if he isn't drunk. i find most guys dont talk to women unless they are in a bar or club. i like it when people try to chit chat with me. i try doing it to people too, and i either get the "weirdo" kind of feeling, or a good conversation.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,710,398 times
As a man I always found what worked with meeting random women was to find a "happy medium" to meet over rather than a blunt head on intro. In other words I used things like walking a cool dog or going to a bookstore and using the books as a medium.

Basically you have something to talk about that is physically between the two of you and then you can assess the situation and move on from there. I like women that are pro active so that helps weed out the losers from the pile as well.

The whole "buy a drink" thing is a waste of time. There are plenty of fat, lazy american women that think the world is paved with free drinks and that it's a price to pay for getting the "privilege" to talk to them. Don't bother. They are bargirls with a price tag. And you better watch who you are buying a drink for!

Also too I think learning about and understanding body language helps assess a situation too before you dive right in.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,303,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm not familar with the bar scene but I'm sure there are women who would still accept the drink even if she is not interested-lol
I have to admit, I've done that before .

Old 07-20-2009, 07:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I have to admit, I've done that before .

I'm not surprised because you have the opportunity to do it. I'm sure you have done it with dinner too

Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,807,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm not surprised because you have the opportunity to do it. I'm sure you have done it with dinner too
You do love to make assumptions. There are many women who have accepted a drink brought to them by a bartender who says, "It's from that man over there," but there are far fewer women who would accept a dinner invitation from a man just to get a free dinner. One can accept a drink from someone (women do the same to men, too!) but there are few people who would sit over dinner with a total twit just for the sake of a meal. Please!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You do love to make assumptions. There are many women who have accepted a drink brought to them by a bartender who says, "It's from that man over there," but there are far fewer women who would accept a dinner invitation from a man just to get a free dinner. One can accept a drink from someone (women do the same to men, too!) but there are few people who would sit over dinner with a total twit just for the sake of a meal. Please!

Oh really? Not in Philly

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

751 posts, read 1,675,931 times
Quote:
Whenever I go out with my buddies and we spot a cute girl, they're always pushing me to go talk to her, but I've never been able to figure out exactly how to go about it without it being weird and awkward.

I've always thought it'd be weird if someone I didn't know just came up started talking to me.

What's the best way to approach this? I know everybody says "just be yourself" which is fine, because I never try to be somebody I'm not.

But it just feels so awkward to just approach a girl I don't know and TRY to start a conversation.

You gals got any input?

When a man approachs me and begins talking I just say hi to him and figure he's just being friendly. If I'm interested enough to carry on a conversation with him I will.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,059,391 times
Quote:

You gals got any input?
I agree with JeepGirl118. If you're in a bar or restaurant type of atmosphere, sending over a drink, would be the better approach.

I don't take too kindly to men coming up to me, out the clear blue sky, just wanting to talk. I usually think they're crazy. I usually give them the infamous 'facial expression', that everyone tells me I give, when I don't want to be bothered....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships