Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times

Advertisements

Since DH and I are in college together, I'll answer a bit differently.

Someone with no college education but plans to get one? Yes.

Someone with no plan to get a college education? Nope, nada, no way Jose.

Sorry, but the 4 year diploma in the working world has become the new high school degree. I don't view it as gold-digging, but not settling down with someone who settles for less. Why would I want someone I can't have deep, philosophical conversations with? College, if you do it right, expands your mind and horizons. Why would I settle for less than that?

I've tried to overlook it in the past, but it never worked out. A lack of scholastic ambition translates to a lack of intellectual ambition. Sorry, but I'm a Mensan and need someone who can keep up with me intellectually. College tends to be a good weed-out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
I have a BA and MBA so although I prefer a mate with similar education level, I'd be open to getting with her if she didn't have a college education. As long as we click, that's what counts to me.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Intelliflu runs terrifyingly high in this thread. There are so many afflicted that it's so hard to come inside without the fear of the contagion

Formal college education or not, a jackass is a jackass is a jackass. Education doesn't change a freaking thing. The nature of an individual is inborn and is strictly moulded by his/her upbringing.

And for your information, education does not begin at the school or college, it begins at "home". What starts at 4 or 5 with the alphabets and numbers continues till the grave. Now, there are some interfering entities in this process like school, college, university and the like. They are strictly meant to "calibrate" what started at 4 or 5 and "not enhance" the individual's sense of education.

To calibrate means to merely document that someone is something. It's a certificate which enters a safety locker and whose xerox copy's only function is to be the gatepass into a decent job. Nothing more. After the gatepass, it's actual use in the real world - ZERO.

I have seen MBA's from Harvard who cannot collect their thoughts and prepare a decent ppt presentation about a financial service proposal. Their MBA's useless. 90% of the MBA's belong to this sect. The truly stellar ones are those who possess the in-born skill of expressing themselves and getting the right flow of words or who possess the art of being articulate. These stellar ones either have an MBA or just dropped out or never attempted to take one.

I went to a techie forum in Cali some years ago, as part of my job. The speaker was Larry Ellison, giving a keynote on databases and business intelligence. He electrified the hall. Guess what, he didn't even complete college, he simply dropped out in his second year and never bothered going back. Today he also signs paycheques of idiots from Harvard, Cornell, MIT, IIT etc.

My own personal education started at home. My father forced me into the library when I was 8. At 9, I was reading Plato and Plutarch. And I think I completed most of the Fourier series, Gaussian equations and Newtonian mechanics before I even reached 17.

I was still bored in school. I went to college to simply buy the degree. I loved engineering though. I got bored again in my sixth semester and so I skipped all exams and ran away from the house. My father threatened he will kill me and himself and I completed college, just for him and out of fear/pressure.

Today, where I actually am, I didn't come this far because of my formal college education. I came this far because of my continuing personal education and certain inborn talents which I possess, like everyone else.

And, if a person is truly educated one of the first ideologies (sometimes called wisdom) which takes over the mind is RESPECT/EQUALITY for a fellow individual, irrespective of whether he is educated or not. Which is bizarrely lacking in this thread. So, the question is: did you folks get really educated?

Let's do a case study on Michael Faraday, for instance. One of the founding fathers of Physics, Chemistry and Electronics engineering.
-- Son of the village blacksmith
-- Just had the most basic education, can count, name alphabets etc.
-- Became an apprentice at 14 for a book binder
-- Read all the books which came for binding, most notably technical books
-- Around 21, his apprenticeship ends and he meets the legendary Humphry Davy
-- Becomes Davy's assistant
-- Accompanies Davy to France once and gets mistreated by Davy's wife, a chronic patient of intelliflu and elitantiasis (Infectant: Faraday's social class)
-- Goes on to become one of the founding fathers of modern science and technology

Today, me and several other buggers in the world have a formal engineering degree on what Faraday pioneered in 100 years ago. Having the degree, can I actually completely fathom all of Faraday's works and even reverse engineer it?

Answer: NO
But, I was supposed to be more educated than Faraday, comparatively at the age of 17. Simple - his scientificity was "inborn" and had nothing to do with formal education

So the question is: Are you really educated? If yes, please quit bashing the not-so-educated and reverse engineer the theory of relativity for me and Einstein

Wow, I have no idea what you said but, I think I liked it!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 PM

22 posts, read 43,156 times
Anters post was awesome, I'll admit.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
IMHO:

The "education" many are getting in or out of college is wrong.

When the mind is programmed by society, the brain is brainwashed then clogged with garbage and doesn't accept truth and true words or wholesome common sense.

These people wouldn't be able to save ones own life in a matter of speaking.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 PM

380 posts, read 691,827 times
Fortunately, all of the guys, except one, I've actually went on dates with during my post-divorce years, have been educated. The only guys that approach me in a serious manner are typically educated. I believe this is because people wear certain personas. Normally, people are attracted to others that at least appear to have something in common w/ them. Nine out of ten times, outside appearance and aura make a difference. So, a "thuggish, ruggish bone" typically knows not to and doesn't approach me. It's clear that's not my flavor. And, on the flip side, I'm sure I'm not their flavor. However, an uneducated but hard working, responsible, goal-oriented and mature brother is different. I would definitely give him the "time of day"! At the end of the day, it's not about education; it's about who one has something in common. I don't impose standards on men I can't meet myself.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:29 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
When i was younger, i never considered dating anyone without at least a bachelors degree. As i got older, it changed as i met women who never attended college and were down to earth and brighter than some of the college type gals i met in the past. They were good women. It is only about chemistry now.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
My most recent relationship, which was three years in duration (lived together for a while, in fact), was with a woman who was a high school graduate. But she was naturally intelligent (although she didn't realize how intelligent she was), very practical and a great lover, so being with her was fun.

If they have the brains, the piece of paper doesn't matter.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 AM

830 posts, read 2,712,510 times
I never have dated someone without one (but I haven't dated many people either).

I kind of assume a college education when meeting people my age and station in life... probably not a good assumption but I do. I don't think I hang out with anyone who doesn't have that, not on purpose but because those tend to be the people doing the same things and hanging out in the same places as me.

I do want someone whom I can relate to, who reads and can suggest good books to me, who likes to watch similar kinds of things as me. If you published a thesis about something and can teach me about it, that's really hot.

You can get those interests with someone who doesn't have a degree of course (and, more often, you can NOT get it with someone who does), but it seems that most people I've met who enjoy those kinds of things have gone to college or beyond. Despite all the arguments that people can be highly educated and have no common sense, I've mostly found that people who make it through all those hoops are usually pretty flexible, creative, and successful in general.

They don't need to have more education than me. And it has little to do with income... I don't care too much about that as long as they're self-supporting, because I am. A Masters and a medium-low income sounds very nice to me.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
It seems to me that when one is in college, it makes more sense to date another college student. They both are sharing similar college experiences. Meanwhile of those of the same age that didn't go onto college, those young people are in the working force. They are on a difference time schedule. And when the student needs to stay in and study, the working person is wanting to go out on the town. The working person also has more money to spend on these activities. Also, most college people aren't planning on marrying and having kids right away. But those that are only high school graduates think themselves all grown up and are ready to settle down and have kids. Or if they get pregnant, it's no big deal to them and that will be the trigger to getting married.

Of the college kids that I work with, they all date other college students. And rather than looking forward to getting married soon, many have plans of travel and finding their dream career first before worrying about finding true love.

I did date two men and marry one man that only had a high school education. For two of them, they hoped to visit Disneyland one day. That was their idea of a wonderful vacation. Meanwhile, Disney was the last place I wanted to go to, and my ideal vacation was a visit to Europe and poking around in the antique flea markets. And for long term goals, I wanted a house in a nice neighborhood, but my ex husband was content to rent for the rest of his life.

I'm into cars. And from my personal experiences, guys that didn't go to college are happy with going to the drag strip and some watch NASCAR racing. But of the college educated car enthusiasts I know, they grew out of going to the drag strip early on and now do rallying, track events and autocross. Going fast in a straight line for a 1/4 mile or driving around an oval track making left hand turns is boring to them.

And of the three non-college educated men that I had long term relationships with, I left them all once I got completely bored with their mental company. I'd rather be by myself than be with a s/o that can't keep up with me mentally. My close and best friends are all college educated. I do have many casual friends that are the blue collar types, but our friendships just never progress any further. I *think* that one reason is that blue collar types in my area tend to be into having large families. And unless you also have kids, there is little desire or ability to spend much leisure time together. Of my college educated close friends, none of us have kids, so we are able to have a lot of quality adult level interaction with each other.

Also, the majority of the blue collar types I know smoke cigarettes, and they also seem to have a favorite bar or club that they go to at least once a week. They also seem to be more christian. Of course, there are exceptions, but I am just trying to cite some of the reasons why I seem to not to have close friends or want to have a s/o that is not college educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships