Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

You can fix alot of things in a person in a relationship, but you can't fix stupid. Not equating someone without a college degree as stupid, but I have met my share of women who really had no thoughts in their heads beyond what color of polish they needed for their toes. And it seems like men really like those women...for whatever reason....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Date? Of course.

Marry? I will never get married again, but if I were looking for someone to marry, I am not sure if I would marry someone without a degree. I would strongly consider her if she were intelligent, no matter what her educational level would be.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,733 times
If I'm out to have a good time, I really couldn't care less about someones educational/financial background. A female could be a 9th grade dropout and it wouldn't matter to me if she looks good and is fun to hang out with. However, if I'm if looking for more than that (which I'm not) then education/financial background comes into play.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You can fix alot of things in a person in a relationship, but you can't fix stupid. Not equating someone without a college degree as stupid, but I have met my share of women who really had no thoughts in their heads beyond what color of polish they needed for their toes. And it seems like men really like those women...for whatever reason....
Bull. My exwife had a college education and job with it....she was a mouth breathing soap opera, ABC primetime show DVRing SOB. Lacked interest in the mildest conversation about economics, philosophy and/or the mildest conversation that steered away from pop culture or the immediate day.

I'm an intellectual, and I'll be the first one to admit that I don't care to have an intellectual partner. Butting heads all day is not my version of a happy life. Leave jousting for position for the work dynamics. I want AGREEABLE when I get home. This doesn't imply a woman has to be a doormat, but I simply do not wish to joust for position every second of my waking day after busting my hump at work. If you want to equate that to some cartoon of a doormat wife with no thoughts or opinion on anything but the selection of nail polish she found at walmart, that's on you to make that assertion. I tend to see the world in grey shades, not black and white.

And I do think the one feature one cannot fix is really the face. No amount of corrective surgery can make a pretty face. Intellect can be behavior modified (most of women's ditsy condition is a product of their environment...if you removed a dolt from her environment you'd be amazed what you could get them to espouse once you challenge them to think). a body can be worked into tone. But a face, that's the one thing you can't modulate. That's the X factor right there.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I am so glad I am married if this thread is any indication of what's out there. *shudder*

Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay, now you're being downright dumb--or just inexperienced. A humanities degree is actually superior training for law school as just one example. And given how roughly 25% of MBA students are humanities majors, they seem to be qualified for something.
If you want to do well right out of law school, you're still probably better off with a technical/hard sciences degree.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I have, but generally no. I date people of similar education levels.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
I heard about a study where folk who are not formally educated are better able to read emotion via facial expressions. I think there was something about creativity as well. I'll try to find it when I get home.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
Along the same lines, would anyone here date someone OUTSIDE of their chosen profession?

Last night in class, one of my classmates in my Teacher's Certification program told me that she'll only date someone who has a teaching degree, and wouldn't even consider anyone else. She told me it's because it's more likely that they'll be compatible. I dont agree with this assessment, but I'm wondering if there are a lot of other people like this.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Along the same lines, would anyone here date someone OUTSIDE of their chosen profession?

Last night in class, one of my classmates in my Teacher's Certification program told me that she'll only date someone who has a teaching degree, and wouldn't even consider anyone else. She told me it's because it's more likely that they'll be compatible. I dont agree with this assessment, but I'm wondering if there are a lot of other people like this.
I wouldn't not date someone due to that, but it is a preference and I did end up marrying someone with a similar background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships