Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,135 times

Advertisements

Alright here's the thing...My first college semester there was a girl in one of my classes that absolutely spellbound me...which is something that hadn't ever happened and hasn't since. Like an idiot, I was cold and never initiated conversation despite her choosing to sit next to me every class meeting and asking me about course related things now and then. This was due to self-confidence/esteem issues. Anyway my trouble comes from the fact that even though this was well over a year ago now...I cannot stop going back to my memories of her. I know I have to completely forget her...and I realize it's ridiculous to have kept thinking of her this long but the memories are so wonderful sometimes it's hard to resist. Anyway...I know it's not a "problem" in the classic sense but I was just wondering how you guys have gotten over similar regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 AM

343 posts, read 524,383 times
Regrets are not worth wasting your energy on. Look, you experienced the regret, right? Maybe now you got some insight and a lesson learned? So, carry on and don't let another opportunity pass by again.

I'm sure when you look back you realize the possible humiliation of being rejected was not as bad as never having tried. That goes for everything you want in life. Always go full out for whatever you want and never worry about what you don't get.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeric123 View Post
Anyway...I know it's not a "problem" in the classic sense but I was just wondering how you guys have gotten over similar regrets?
By continuing to remind oneself that it's a good life-lesson learned... to not allow nerves/fear to control you to the point of remaining silent when you shouldn't.

Everyone has regrets in life where you kick yourself in the butt, but the more important thing is if you learned and grew from that "duh" moment and don't do it again when a similar situation occurs in the future.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
It is quite common.

There is so many social networking sites. I would look her up.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:39 AM

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times
emeric, I've had one similar "memory" of a love that never happened due to me chickening out. It's hard to forget because I've been single for a long time and he's been the only guy that caught my attention in years and with whom I could've possibly had something. But, I just have to realize that there is no way to change the past and if anything, I gained a valuable lesson- to never let any opportunities like that pass because you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for a long time. A lot of people live off their memories, and I think it's nice to look back and smile every once in a while, but not to dwell on them. Life goes on so you have to also.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:43 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,516 times
It was "well over a year ago"? Honey...that's not that long. Find her and find out if there is anything there. If not..well now you know. Life is too short to waste on wondering what could have happened.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
Alright here's the thing...My first college semester there was a girl in one of my classes that absolutely spellbound me...which is something that hadn't ever happened and hasn't since. Like an idiot, I was cold and never initiated conversation despite her choosing to sit next to me every class meeting and asking me about course related things now and then. This was due to self-confidence/esteem issues. Anyway my trouble comes from the fact that even though this was well over a year ago now...I cannot stop going back to my memories of her. I know I have to completely forget her...and I realize it's ridiculous to have kept thinking of her this long but the memories are so wonderful sometimes it's hard to resist. Anyway...I know it's not a "problem" in the classic sense but I was just wondering how you guys have gotten over similar regrets?
One way I let go of regrets, especially when the subject is about relationships that could have formed but didn't, is to accept that the other person acted appropriately to my behavior at the time. It is something to learn from, not regret.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,135 times
"It was "well over a year ago"? Honey...that's not that long. Find her and find out if there is anything there. If not..well now you know. Life is too short to waste on wondering what could have happened."

I would love to do that but I can't for the life of me even remember her first name. I tried to contact the professor a few months back to see if he'd let me see the roster but no luck there. I'm pretty much out of luck. By the way thank you so much everyone who's replied!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Quote:
Why not try to reach out to her? Don't have her number facebook her or something.
Why live in regret?
Do something that says you are a man and tried to go after something you wanted....geez

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,743 times
She probably got a bf right now so don't fret about it. The past is the past and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships