Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,475 times

Advertisements

So I'm curious as a guy. When a women say hits 35+ and starts to become desperate for a baby (I know not all, but some) and they are currently single, what do they typically do to try to get the ball rolling? This isn't meant to be an insult, but I'm just curious what goes through their minds when "baby fever" becomes a real thing.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:28 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Settle down or not, and get pregnant?

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2018 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 03:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
So I'm curious as a guy. When a women say hits 35+ and starts to become desperate for a baby (I know not all, but some) and they are currently single, what do they typically do to try to get the ball rolling? This isn't meant to be an insult, but I'm just curious what goes through their minds when "baby fever" becomes a real thing.
There apparently is science behind it:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0823115422.htm

"... the researchers found three factors that consistently predicted how much a person wanted to have a baby. The first factor was positive exposure -- such as holding and cuddling babies, looking after babies and looking at baby clothes and toys -- that made people want to have a baby. The second factor included negative exposure -- such as babies crying, children having tantrums and diapers, spit-up or other 'disgusting' aspects of babies -- that made people not want to have a baby. The third factor included trade-offs that come with having children -- education, career, money and social life."

This is a pretty good first-person account:

https://www.bolde.com/struggles-bein...an-baby-fever/

It happens because sociological factors (like relatives asking when you're gonna marry and settle down or watching your peers start families) combine with biological factors (the instinct to procreate).

Old 04-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

"... the researchers found three factors that consistently predicted how much a person wanted to have a baby. The first factor was positive exposure -- such as holding and cuddling babies, looking after babies and looking at baby clothes and toys -- that made people want to have a baby. The second factor included negative exposure -- such as babies crying, children having tantrums and diapers, spit-up or other 'disgusting' aspects of babies -- that made people not want to have a baby. The third factor included trade-offs that come with having children -- education, career, money and social life."

Are you saying that they get the "ball rolling" by holding/cuddling babies, looking at them and buying baby stuff"? That would be short of a miracle ...

Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Are you saying that they get the "ball rolling" by holding/cuddling babies, looking at them and buying baby stuff"? That would be short of a miracle ...
No, the researchers said that those were predictors of who would get "baby fever."

As you might imagine, they found that gender roles weren't actually major driving factors. Not every woman deals with this, and some men do.

I was trying to answer his second question. I've never met anyone like the OP described.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Get the ball rolling how? All she needs to do is have sex. Or adopt, if that's feasible.

What do you mean by get the ball rolling? There are women who are single, who decide to have children...is that what this is in reference to?

I don't personally know anyone who fits this description but I know a percentage of women do experience this. I don't think it's a huge percentage, even today. I do know some people who got married after 35 and had kids then but in those cases the woman had figured she just wouldn't have children and was fine with it. Then (this is two couples I know, in case anyone is wondering, similar situations) they met "the one" and the new husband & wife decided to have a child. One of these couples were in their late 30s, with the other they married in late 30s, had children when she was 41 and then 43. You can't really call that "baby fever," though.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
lots of single moms out there - I am sure some of them are 35+ and got pregnant "by mistake" from some random guy or guy they start dating just to get pregnant with. Then they milk him for 20 years.

Then there are the desperate ones who get into a relationship with a guy they don't really love but who seems like he would be a good dad or has $$.

For me, every time I had baby fever I visited friends who have kids. Half an hour in their place and I am cured for another year. Broke and stressed out by choice? Nope, not for me.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

I was trying to answer his second question. I've never met anyone like the OP described.
Never did I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Get the ball rolling how? All she needs to do is have sex. Or adopt, if that's feasible.
Well... that's how is done.

OP needs to clarify his question, and elaborate...

Old 04-18-2018, 04:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Not sure what is unclear?

Single woman. No man in sight. She feels her biological clock ticking. Every woman walking by with a stroller is like a knife in her heart. Everyone seems to be a parent at her age. She desperately wants a child. She is worried her time runs out and she needs to find a man ASAP because if she waits too long, it may be too late.

He wants to know: WHAT DO WOMEN DO IN THIS CASE? Cry and give up or ....?

Old 04-18-2018, 04:27 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,443 times
I know some women who never found anyone and decided to try to adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships