Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Do women really do that? I'm not being sarcastic..... I cut my hair short once and girls told me it was cute and I should keep it like that. I had no idea they were trying to eliminate the competition. Damn, I actually thought they thought my hair was cute.

Hi Kaye02,

They may think its cute. As I said, it may not even be conscious. However plants don't build up solanine in the foliage consciously either because of the herbivores. I always hear women complement women on their short hair cuts. I have NEVER heard a man say this. As for me, long hair on an attractive woman causes a bit of weakness in the knees. There are attractive women with short hair but they are missing a gear and all things being equal its no contest. Short hair is an excellent simulation of hair loss. My theory is given the health required to bring children to term it may be a means by which men see an unbroken history of health. So again for men it may be a very low level drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
I don't know about a persecution complex, but yes there is "negative energy" directed towards women who are perceived as very good looking. I have actually gotten mean/sad look s from other women when I am out looking my best. Its discouraging, as it was to be hit on by a married man in a local supermarket the other day, but of course the two experiences are from the same source- competition for men.
I have dressed plain in certain situations, but I'm a fashion person at heart, so its not genuine for me. So all I can say is that, yes the negative energy is there, but you can't let it define who you are. You have to put out the energy of your warmest, real self and wait for the cool women to catch on that you are a nice gal, not a out to steal men. Also it helps to have self depricating humor. But I am 41 now, people tell me I look way younger, but theres no $$ for surgery, so this issue is ending for me. And in many ways I will be relieved.

I've snagged a few men to marry, nursed my perfect D cups down to C's for my gorgeous babies , my 25 " waist is gone . I had my day in the sun. I am ready to be warmly admired instead of resented. But a few months from now, not right this minute! This honest post brought to you courtesy of White Zinfandel, fruit punch of choice for desperate housewives everwhere!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Oh yeh...because other women are shallow insecure beasts it must be a problem with me. Sorry...But I acted the same with different type of looks. Its them, not me. I make plenty of friends with males (gay and strait) and get along well with gay women or women who have a life beyond what they look like in a skirt.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,299,253 times
There are positive people and negative people. I think it just depends on your perspective. If a woman (or man) is negative towards me, I move on. Life is too short to obsess.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM

I don't think the OP, or is obcessing, but you have to walk a mile in another persons shoes to say that they are being silly for feeling a certain way.

If a certain experience happens over and over, be it a pretty woman passed over for friendships by other women or a black man being pulled over in traffic yet again, you have to accept that that persons feelings may be quite valid.

I realize that it sounds very lame to complain about any downside of being attractive, and believe me, its a huge taboo and very hard to talk about. If you don't get it, I understand. But if you've ever felt a pang of envy when you see a group of cute but pretty ordinary looking women lunching and laughing, there are women out there who know how you feel. And yes, I have cut my hair short to be accepted, worn glasses, dressed like a pregnant hippy. But why should I not enjoy dressing in flattering clothes and having nice hair like other women?

We have a lake cottage near the Amish and they all dress alike, cover their hair, and look down on vanity- that's their solution.They seem to be a happy group, but is that for all of us? Whenever I see a woman looking really pretty, but not like inappropriate, I make a point to give her a friendly smile because it may be the only one she gets all day from another woman. And I might feel jealous that she looks better than me, but I try to smile anyhow.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:42 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Whenever I see a woman looking really pretty, but not like inappropriate, I make a point to give her a friendly smile because it may be the only one she gets all day from another woman. And I might feel jealous that she looks better than me, but I try to smile anyhow.
Awww, That's awesome.

But why feel jealous ? I just try to be happy for her and enjoy the scenery. It's not like she is taking anything away from your life, ya know?

When I comes to beauty, I subscribe to the abundance theory: there is enough to go around.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Well I am just making the point that a fleeting feeling of envy can be a natural reaction to seeing someone who looks beautiful, especially if they are a similar age as you. No one wants to ever feel jealous, but some women live there and "act nasty" I agree with you in sentiment, and I usually don't feel envious, but its a natural emotion.

I am just being honest!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:13 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
it happens. same with guys- lots of less attractive ones are spiteful toward the hotties.
Yes, guys make snide remarks about men being "metro" or "pretty" when they are not, they just happen to be good-looking. It's a male form of cattiness.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:40 PM

454 posts, read 796,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Kaye02,

They may think its cute. As I said, it may not even be conscious. However plants don't build up solanine in the foliage consciously either because of the herbivores. I always hear women complement women on their short hair cuts. I have NEVER heard a man say this. As for me, long hair on an attractive woman causes a bit of weakness in the knees. There are attractive women with short hair but they are missing a gear and all things being equal its no contest. Short hair is an excellent simulation of hair loss. My theory is given the health required to bring children to term it may be a means by which men see an unbroken history of health. So again for men it may be a very low level drive.

I guess women with Afros are all percieved to be sterile, then.

By your reasoning, a Brazilian wax should also be a problem, since hairlessness indicates a pre-fertile state or a STD.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
The ones that I notice most is when the jealousy and attitude comes out of left field for no reason, without provocation - by those that do not even know me (or other women I see it done to). Sheesh, even in the bathroom in the movie theater (or other public place) when washing my hands, if you give a nice friendly "hi" smile as you are washing your hands/drying them, they give you the one-up and look at you like you just told them to eat dog doo. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships