Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

It wasn't a matter of turning down people based on ethnicity but more of being attracted to.

I have always loved British/Celtic men. I don't like swarthy, dark skinned men as a type. Although my background includes Italian I never liked those type men.

I knew I would marry someone 'English or Irish or Scottish.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Sure, if you want to generalize it that way. A black girl asked me out in school one time and I said "no thanks". All her friends called me a racist, but I guess my personal opinion and preference didn't matter, just the fact that I'm white and she is black.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:12 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Never rejected anyone due to ethnicity. Cultural traits, physical attractiveness, personality, yes. But ethnicity? Lame if you ask me. Had the parents of one girl I dated even remark that I was good-looking, smart, but the wrong color. Utter nonsense.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Never rejected anyone due to ethnicity. Cultural traits, physical attractiveness, personality, yes. But ethnicity? Lame if you ask me. Had the parents of one girl I dated even remark that I was good-looking, smart, but the wrong color. Utter nonsense.
Maybe her parents were hoping for grandchildren that would look like them. There's nothing wrong with wanting that imo. I've been shown many family portraits and photo albums where people pointed out how one member looked like one from another family generation. Having the same colour eyes, hair or nose. It's about family pride, family history and a sense of belonging.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:46 AM

Baloney. Sounds like a another reason that anti-miscegenist Justice of the Peace in Louisiana would give. "Generational pride" is nothing more than a smokescreen for what I'd consider to be an extreme form of narcissism, exclusion, and selfishness. Race is nothing more than one trait among others. Moralizing it is beyond insane.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
I'm very proud to say I have no preferences. Screw preferences.
Whatever works for ya buddy. To me, that simply sounds desperate.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
I prefer my women white, guess that makes me a racist?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
they thought i did.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Baloney. Sounds like a another reason that anti-miscegenist Justice of the Peace in Louisiana would give. "Generational pride" is nothing more than a smokescreen for what I'd consider to be an extreme form of narcissism, exclusion, and selfishness. Race is nothing more than one trait among others. Moralizing it is beyond insane.
I'm sorry for you that you don't have pride in your black history and heritage, and no desire to continue it. Not all of us want a day in the future where everyone looks alike and has the same brown skin tone.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm sorry for you that you don't have pride in your black history and heritage, and no desire to continue it. Not all of us want a day in the future where everyone looks alike and has the same brown skin tone.
More baloney. You, the athiest in a childless interracial relationship is the last one to talk to me about my inherent "moral duty" to prolong my racial heritage. I had no stake in being black, and am no more "proud" of it than I am proud of being born a man. Of course I'm not at all sorry about it either, despite society's attempts to render me so by making me somehow accountable for everything wrong with black America by association. That I happen to have an open mind with regards to the ethnicity of those I find compatible in no way makes me any "less black", nor does it constitute any sort of "betrayal" on my part to the black community at large.

Besides, everyone alive today will be thousands of years dead before anything even remotely comparable to a universal coalescence of the races begins to take place. And when (if) it does, what difference will it make to you or I, a bunch of decaying fossils?

Last edited by MrSykes; 10-18-2009 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships