Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by Ceece
No. I would be friends, but I don't need anyones identity issues being part of my life.
I feel exactly the same way. I don't need that kind of baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
Yes, I could.

I'm old enough to know that love and connection has nothing to do with what a person was born as or what they look like.

I just want to live with someone who has a beautiful heart.

It wouldn't bother me if I met a wonderful man who was originally born as a girl.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
he is only five...his path is not yet written in stone..which is why I am trying to take him to counseling and trying to steer him toward more gender appropriate actions, etc.
Is your son born with both sets of organs (hermaphrodite)? If so, I think that is a whole separate issue than what I 'think' the OP is referring to. This is something that you are born with and have no control over.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
One variation of the question that might be interesting would be... "What if you married someone and found out YEARS LATER that they had been born the opposite sex??"

This happened to one of the more famous "transgendered" people named Tula, who was actually a Bond girl in the movies, posed for an adult magazine, and then married a rich Greek guy - and no one EVER knew she/he had ever been born a man, until they came out with it. Later married someone else and moved, but from an interview on TV, they said the Greek guy actually didn't seem to mind because as he put it, "the parts look real". LOL. Apparently, the doctors in England are very VERY good at doing these types of surgeries.

Story about Tula... Tula Cassey

Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 PM

^ I would be getting divorced

Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 PM

264 posts, read 819,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Is your son born with both sets of organs (hermaphrodite)? If so, I think that is a whole separate issue than what I 'think' the OP is referring to. This is something that you are born with and have no control over.

No, he is a male. I don't want to hijack the thread...It was just that reading the understandably strong negative responses to this thread made me think about his future if he stays on the same path that he is on. When I posted in the parenting forum, (see below)...most of the responses I got were "let him be what he wants to be" kind of thing, AND not wanting him to be someone's "HELL NO" was why I am trying to "fix" the situation, if such a fix is even possible?

gender confused 5 year old boy
I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this issue or can offer any insight:

My 5 year old son, who has a twin brother, seems to be suffering from gender confusion. For about 2 years now, he has gravitated towards all things "girl"...loves the color pink, prefers to play with girls at school, tries to wear long shirts and pretends they are dresses, begs for toys from the "girl" aisle at the toy store, pretends to be a fairy during make believe, etc. His twin brother, in contrast, is a typical rough and tumble, loves sports little boy.

When he was younger, his father and I tried to look at his behavior as a phase that he might outgrow, but the longer it goes on the more I worry. I have read some books on the subject and one suggested steering him away from all things feminine. We tried that for a while, but the little guy became depressed and ashamed of himself, even though we tried to gently correct him in a positive way toward things more masculine. He even told us one day that, he was willing to be a boy for now, but when he got up to heaven he would ask God to finally make him a girl, which broke my heart.
I just want him to be happy, but I don't see how indulging his fantasy is at all going to lead to his eventual happiness. I am wondering if there is any hope for him to change without becoming a miserable, depressed child in the meantime. We do have him in therapy to work out his issues but have not seen that it has helped.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Quote:
No, he is a male. I don't want to hijack the thread...It was just that reading the understandably strong negative responses to this thread made me think about his future if he stays on the same path that he is on. When I posted in the parenting forum, (see below)...most of the responses I got were "let him be what he wants to be" kind of thing, AND not wanting him to be someone's "HELL NO" was why I am trying to "fix" the situation, if such a fix is even possible?

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this issue or can offer any insight:

My 5 year old son, who has a twin brother, seems to be suffering from gender confusion. For about 2 years now, he has gravitated towards all things "girl"...loves the color pink, prefers to play with girls at school, tries to wear long shirts and pretends they are dresses, begs for toys from the "girl" aisle at the toy store, pretends to be a fairy during make believe, etc. His twin brother, in contrast, is a typical rough and tumble, loves sports little boy.
When he was younger, his father and I tried to look at his behavior as a phase that he might outgrow, but the longer it goes on the more I worry. I have read some books on the subject and one suggested steering him away from all things feminine. We tried that for a while, but the little guy became depressed and ashamed of himself, even though we tried to gently correct him in a positive way toward things more masculine. He even told us one day that, he was willing to be a boy for now, but when he got up to heaven he would ask God to finally make him a girl, which broke my heart.
I just want him to be happy, but I don't see how indulging his fantasy is at all going to lead to his eventual happiness. I am wondering if there is any hope for him to change without becoming a miserable, depressed child in the meantime. We do have him in therapy to work out his issues but have not seen that it has helped.

I've actually never heard of behavior like this especially at that age. It's sad to think he will have some rough spots in his future if it doesn't change and thats the truth. Does he not have any male friends at all? If so, how does he act around them? Maybe if he was around more little boys his age it would help.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Wow, that must be really tough. I wish you and your son luck in whatever he chooses to do.

I'll admit it though, I myself, would not date someone who use to be a woman ever, and my reasoning behind it is when I was younger and looking to get married I was looking to start family, a biological one, and that is something a gender change person could not give me and another part of me still even without the child part, wants someone who was born a man.

My son suffers from other issues, Autism being one of them, I know where your coming from in wanting them to just be happy. So, again I wish you and your child luck.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Wow, that must be really tough. I wish you and your son luck in whatever he chooses to do.

I'll admit it though, I myself, would not date someone who use to be a woman ever, and my reasoning behind it is when I was younger and looking to get married I was looking to start family, a biological one, and that is something a gender change person could not give me and another part of me still even without the child part, wants someone who was born a man.

My son suffers from other issues, Autism being one of them, I know where your coming from in wanting them to just be happy. So, again I wish you and your child luck.
I am def. not faulting anyone for their choice not to date someone who is transgender or whatever you want to call it. I myself don't think I could do it. I am just hoping and praying that my son will learn to be happy with the way God made him.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I've actually never heard of behavior like this especially at that age. It's sad to think he will have some rough spots in his future if it doesn't change and thats the truth. Does he not have any male friends at all? If so, how does he act around them? Maybe if he was around more little boys his age it would help.

He and his twin brother have many friends. I try to organize playdates with boys regularly. He will play with them some, but even his male cousin, who is also five years old, has picked up on something being different about him..asking his mom, "Is J. a girl?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships