Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I mostly recall the dialog consisting of "dude" "light another","sweet". Which made more sense than this drivel.
LOL, I think I need to light another!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
From Wikipedia: Patriarchy is the structuring of family units based on the man, as father figure, having primary authority over the rest of the family members. Patriarchy also refers to the role of men in society more generally where men take primary responsibility over the welfare of the community as a whole. This authority often includes acting as the dominant figures in social, economic, and political procedures, including serving as representatives via public office.
Most forms of feminism challenge patriarchy as an unjust social system that is oppressive to women. The women's rights movement of the early 20th century (also known as first-wave feminism) sought to bring political equality to women by giving them to right to vote and hold public office. In the 1960s and 70s, second-wave feminism addressed issues of social and economic inequality. This period also saw the rise of feminist theory which brought criticism of patriarchy into academic contexts. These challenges to the patriarchal order produced far-ranging social restructuring in Western democracies.

Uhhhh....good luck with that. Actually I need to change my advice to the guy. Please give your wife this advice: Move.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 PM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
Wow, I don't know how many of you who have responded are women but I, as a man, am thoroughly pissed at this guy. From his description, he has what most men want in a marriage and only a few of us trully have in this day, age and country.
Dude, you want to liberate your wife? Divorce her. You obviously don't believe in marriage the way that she does so why not just let her go be happy with someone who has more in common with her than someone like you who wants to force his beliefs on her. You may think that you're doing the best thing for her but, if she's an adult, than she has a say so in that as well and there's nothing wrong with a woman wanting a more "traditional" marriage. You, as a man, should be proud that you have the ability to grant your wife that wish and, also as a man, should be willing to tell anyone who criticizes your marriage to f-k off.
Also, how the hell can you be in politics and be such a "progressive"? I've yet to see even the most leftist of the leftist politicians canpaign for an open marriage. Sounds to me like you want the freedom to screw around but won't do so until your wife does the same (for now).
None of that matters though. Where does it say in the "women's liberation manifesto" that cooking and cleaning are oppressive? We all have to do it and even if we don't, SOMEBODY has to and I don't know any cleaning gentlemen, do you? And where does it say that a woman HAS to dress like a man and not look pretty in order to be equal to a man? By that logic, no woman who wears a dress, perfume, make-up, shaves her legs or pits and wears her hair in any style other than a bun is equal to a man. Give me a break.
The trully enlightened understand that the "women's liberation movement" was about choice and ability. Namely, the right to be able to chose what you want to be and, if a woman wants to be a house wife, the movement has granted her that choice.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
I can't help but think there's a hypocrite here. Here's someone who wants to force his wife to be free, but it's in the mold of what he thinks free should be and has nothing to do with what she might want.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:19 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
American wife:

The husband had just finished reading a new book entitled, 'You Can Be
the
Man of Your House'.
He stormed to his wife in the kitchen and announced, 'From now on,
you need
to know that I am the man of this house and my word is law.
You will prepare me a gourmet meal tonight, and when I'm finished eating
my
meal, you will serve me a sumptuous dessert. After dinner, you are going
to
go upstairs with me and we will have the kind of sex that I want.
Afterwards, you are going to draw me a bath so I can relax. You will
wash my
back and towel me dry and bring me my robe. Then, you will massage my
feet
and hands. Then tomorrow, guess who's going to dress me and comb my
hair? The wife replied, 'The funeral director would be my first
guess.'

Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM

I think the OP was trolling for lulz........

Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 PM

50 posts, read 65,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Wow, I don't know how many of you who have responded are women but I, as a man, am thoroughly pissed at this guy. From his description, he has what most men want in a marriage and only a few of us trully have in this day, age and country.
Dude, you want to liberate your wife? Divorce her. You obviously don't believe in marriage the way that she does so why not just let her go be happy with someone who has more in common with her than someone like you who wants to force his beliefs on her. You may think that you're doing the best thing for her but, if she's an adult, than she has a say so in that as well and there's nothing wrong with a woman wanting a more "traditional" marriage. You, as a man, should be proud that you have the ability to grant your wife that wish and, also as a man, should be willing to tell anyone who criticizes your marriage to f-k off.
Also, how the hell can you be in politics and be such a "progressive"? I've yet to see even the most leftist of the leftist politicians canpaign for an open marriage. Sounds to me like you want the freedom to screw around but won't do so until your wife does the same (for now).
None of that matters though. Where does it say in the "women's liberation manifesto" that cooking and cleaning are oppressive? We all have to do it and even if we don't, SOMEBODY has to and I don't know any cleaning gentlemen, do you? And where does it say that a woman HAS to dress like a man and not look pretty in order to be equal to a man? By that logic, no woman who wears a dress, perfume, make-up, shaves her legs or pits and wears her hair in any style other than a bun is equal to a man. Give me a break.
The trully enlightened understand that the "women's liberation movement" was about choice and ability. Namely, the right to be able to chose what you want to be and, if a woman wants to be a house wife, the movement has granted her that choice.
I don't really consider myself a "politician", although my work is in politics. I wouldn't associate myself with what is meant by "politican" in 21st century America.

I do not campaign for open marriage, I do not think most people in this society even among progressives are "mature" enough for it yet. After a long evolutionary progress, I believe that ultimately free love would be best, but only after drastic changes across society had already taken place. Many would voluntarily chose monogamy, and thats not the same thing as "choosing" being a housewife or plaything. And so I have no problem with the choice of monogamy.

And certainly I don't think there is anything wrong with free love, so long as the society is mature and egalitarian enough to handle it. Our is not. I proposed an open marriage to my wife and she was deadset against it. I respected her decision, although I let her know that I'm not possessive and do not own her, and don't care if she sleeps with other men or leaves me all together.

But in a patriarch society free love can be very negative. Take the case of Frida Kahlo, and Diego's "progressive" ideas. Which essentially meant he as a man could sleep around. Diego, who I greatly admire, was highly enlightened in many areas, but in gender relations, liberation meant him acting as a traditional male.

I'm not a puritan who suggests that pleasure is bad. But we need to take a broad view when applying the harm principle.

I proposed an open marriage with my wife, because monogamy has meant monogamy for women, and hypocritical free love for men. I don't want to treat my wife as chattel property. But on the other hand Diego's open marriage meant sleeping with Frida's sister. I suppose my wife interpreted my request in this manner. Freedom to be a womanizer. But this was certainly never my intention.

And I always make clear to her that she can leave our marriage at any time, and it would not bother me.

So-called "women's work", should be considered just that work. And it should be done by either private or public services.

Your pissed off because you rightly consider my New-type of marriage a threat to privledges you enjoy as a male in this society.

However I believe it would be in your own self-interest to embrace New Marriage, since it is an ally to the progressive politics which would benefit all members of society.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Where IS that vomiting emoticon when I need it???????

Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
The Stepford Wives

Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM

50 posts, read 65,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The Stepford Wives
This is the opposite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships