Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
... I know she's been disappointed (she told me), but I made it very clear that I thought she was a great girl, and I wanted to keep developing the friendship.

Anyway, she made a thread on the local forum, and called me "shallow" for "not seeing her inner beauty". Then went on to say that "men are shallow for not seeing her for who she is on the inside, and not what she looks like".

But this is what gets me: about 25% of the female responses in the thread agree with her. WTF???
Did she say in her post that you had told her you were gay and then go on to accuse you of being shallow, etc.? I only ask because it's very obvious that people who post on forum threads often just don't read properly. They see a couple of words, scan a couple of sentences and then rattle off a response which sometimes bears no relationship whatsoever to the OP as they've skipped over some of the most important points.

That 25% may just fall into that category and think they're commiserating with a gal who they perceive as having invested time in a (straight) guy who out of the blue turns around and "dumps" her. Just a thought!

You could also set the record straight directly on that forum. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM

239 posts, read 596,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I'd change the title to ONE WOMAN thinks I'm shallow. Where in this thread did YOU mention that SHE said in the thread that you were gay?
I sounds like the WOMEN are responding to an imagined straight guy and we all know that there are lots of shallow people out there....if we don't, just hang around this forum awhile and you'll see.

Basically she has esteem issues but somehow the whole story isn't being told...either by you or her.
She told them I'm gay, and they STILL went off on the shallow tangent. That's what I don't understand. I couldn't care less what they think. If that's what they want to think, then more power to them.

I'm just very surprised that people would say that in the first place. I'm not mad at her at all. I know that rejection, regardless of why, can easily cause someone to be upset. I've been very politely let go in the past, and have wrongly lashed out at the person doing the rejecting, so I understand her actions.

But many of my close gay friends were guys that I dated briefly, but for one reason or another, it didn't work out. There may have been hard feelings at first, but in time, it developed into an excellent friendship, and all that old stuff eventually became water under the bridge.

Even though she and I never dated, I think that in time, once her feelings subside, we can resume developing the friendship. I think she's an amazing girl.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Have you considered a tantrum?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
i think i have a "gay" radar so I wouldve given you the time of the day

Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
she just sounds bitter about not having a boyfriend

her problem, not yours

Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Sorry I don't understand this response....are you not giving him the time of day because he's gay or because he's not dating material?
Either one doesn't have anything to do with a woman who basically thought she could turn him around is now slamming him.

My best friend and the best roommate I ever had is gay. We have a blast together.

She's just venting and the others are probably just blindly supporting her.

You could call her on it... but then again I'm just evil sometimes

Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
I'm on your side. I thought everyone knew what "gay" meant. Never mind, my bad, I'm forgetting about the select few who see it as a challenge and think they'll be the 'one' who can straighten you out. Pun! Heh!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
i mean hes not dating material...sorry i didnt specify that

Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
It's called, "Gaydar," Dear. At least if you have it, know it by it's name.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
I'm a member of a local forum here in Louisiana. As a long-time forum member, I've actually made some excellent offline friendships with a few other forum members. "Jane" was one of them.

We hung out for about a month or so, always platonically, and she never gave me any indication that she was remotely interested. Finally, she asked me out on an official date about a week ago. Being the nice guy I am, I very politely told her thanks, but I'm actually gay.

Anytime a woman has hit on me in the past, and I tell her I'm gay, it's always been an instant buddy-buddy thing. Nothing taken personally at all. But this case was different.

I know she's been disappointed (she told me), but I made it very clear that I thought she was a great girl, and I wanted to keep developing the friendship.

Anyway, she made a thread on the local forum, and called me "shallow" for "not seeing her inner beauty". Then went on to say that "men are shallow for not seeing her for who she is on the inside, and not what she looks like".

But this is what gets me: about 25% of the female responses in the thread agree with her. WTF??? I'm gay. Have we become so politically correct with this whole "it's about what's on the inside that counts", that a GAY GUY is now called shallow, for not having romantic feelings for a woman? Using that argument, would you call a str8 guy shallow for not being interested in me? I think not.

Sorry for the long post, but this whole experience has been a little strange.
It looks to me that there's 2 issues here. She most likely called you shallow because she's embarrassed that she spent time, and eventually ended up hitting on, a gay guy. She was probably thinking she is so hot she could have changed you if you were inclined. Then she posts that men are shallow for not seeing her 'inner' beauty. She may have meant 'OTHER MEN' not necessarily you, and she is most likely frustrated with dating and was venting. The other posters were probably agreeing with her frustration. I don't think I'd bother worrying about it. The other posters certainly don't know you and most likely never will. Kate Hepburn once said, 'I don't care what is written about me as long as it isn't true.' I think I'd take that advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships