Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:10 AM

62 posts, read 120,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Typical Gemini answer.

20yrsinBranson
And a guy who reads too much Horoscope. LOL. Oh, well! That's your opinion. You did after all wanted to see other people's perspective. Just not from another gemini of course. Good luck on checking for other signs. I've always seen every other signs having strength and weakness of their own. Like every rose has a thorn. Good thing all thorns have roses.

Last edited by lizzy_09; 09-19-2009 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 01:19 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I'm still going that you guys seem to take this seriously.
Astrology is a science. Knowing it in-depth can help sometimes. Like any tool that helps, but it doesnt solve all your problems magically. The people on CD are smart folks, just like presidents who have consulted astrologers to make crucial decisions throughout history. If you don't know anything about astrology, you probably wont ever believe in it.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Astrology is a science. Knowing it in-depth can help sometimes. Like any tool that helps, but it doesnt solve all your problems magically. The people on CD are smart folks, just like presidents who have consulted astrologers to make crucial decisions throughout history. If you don't know anything about astrology, you probably wont ever believe in it.
Astrology is a pseudo-science and nothing more. It is merely a belief system of superstitions. Nothing relating to it can be tested by hypotheses and/or the empirical method--therefore it isn't a science.

I know what astrology consists of, and that there's more to it than just whatever one's "sign" is. Still, it's not a science. I don't know why you're thinking that it is. It cannot be tested, and has no "proof" to it other than random occurrences that people have convinced themselves to be relevant.

I know that many people kind of use it as entertainment, and whatever, that's fine--but I thought most people kind of realized that it was BS. Maybe I'm wrong.

By using the claim that since the people of C-D are "smart" must mean that astrology is factual is not a very solid argument. Sorry.

I'd like to know what President(s) have consulted astrological "data" to help make crucial decisions. That's just....scary. Unfortunately it wouldn't 100% surprise me considering I've seen news reports of cities hiring "psychics" to solve missing persons cases. Still, I'd honestly like to know...Google isn't yielding any results on that apparent occurrence. All I found was a fictional book called "The President's Astrologer"....

Speaking of Google, apparently I'm a "Virgo." So tell me, do I seem like a Virgo. LOL

Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Astrology is a pseudo-science and nothing more. It is merely a belief system of superstitions. Nothing relating to it can be tested by hypotheses and/or the empirical method--therefore it isn't a science.

I know what astrology consists of, and that there's more to it than just whatever one's "sign" is. Still, it's not a science. I don't know why you're thinking that it is. It cannot be tested, and has no "proof" to it other than random occurrences that people have convinced themselves to be relevant.

I know that many people kind of use it as entertainment, and whatever, that's fine--but I thought most people kind of realized that it was BS. Maybe I'm wrong.

By using the claim that since the people of C-D are "smart" must mean that astrology is factual is not a very solid argument. Sorry.

I'd like to know what President(s) have consulted astrological "data" to help make crucial decisions. That's just....scary. Unfortunately it wouldn't 100% surprise me considering I've seen news reports of cities hiring "psychics" to solve missing persons cases. Still, I'd honestly like to know...Google isn't yielding any results on that apparent occurrence. All I found was a fictional book called "The President's Astrologer"....

Speaking of Google, apparently I'm a "Virgo." So tell me, do I seem like a Virgo. LOL

Astrology is based on precise calculations taken from the moment you were born. That is why it is a science. You appear not to know that. But how would you know if you haven't studied any of it, you just like to get all sarcastic on a forum and appear knowledgeable when you know nothing. Are all Virgo's sarcastic know-it-alls? Nope, only you. Your attitude is clearly somebody else's fault, not astrology. So you want to know all the presidents that consulted astrologers? And you say that it wouldn't 100 percent surprise you. Well okay. So if I give you a few names, then what are you going to say? That they were such foolish presidents, unlike yourself who is so unfoolish and lives life in total reality trying to make fun of people that beleive, because obviously its important for you to appear clever and smart? What exactly is your reason for coming into a thread thats clearly about astrology and mocking people in it? Should we say" Oh, pinksquid is so smart. Telling us we are not smart because we beleive in astrology. I admire her/his great intelligence". Puh-leez.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Default Study the projection theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Maybe you are just attracted to a certain type of woman...afterall you are the common denominator here and many people continue an attraction of the same type of person whether they intend to or not.
Projection goes on continually in relationships. It's on a subconcious level.

If there's something you're repressing, something in your character you don't want to admit to or frightens you, you tend to attract that which you're repressing.

An easy way to find out what you're repressing is to ask yourself: What is it that you find most annoying about other people, that which you hate in others.

If you continually find yourself geting involved with some particular sign of the zodiac, and it's a relationship with lots of friction, many moments of hate and love, this person could be acting out that which lies repressed within.

If you're continually attracting cheaters in your life, look deep within. The cheater could reside deep within you, which you're completely unaware of.
Same with those continually attracting violent people into their lives.

The projection theory is a fascinating theory to explore.

None of us have just one personality, I believe we are all multi-personality, irregardless of our zodiac sign.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Astrology is based on precise calculations taken from the moment you were born. That is why it is a science. You appear not to know that. But how would you know if you haven't studied any of it, you just like to get all sarcastic on a forum and appear knowledgeable when you know nothing. Are all Virgo's sarcastic know-it-alls? Nope, only you. Your attitude is clearly somebody else's fault, not astrology. So you want to know all the presidents that consulted astrologers? And you say that it wouldn't 100 percent surprise you. Well okay. So if I give you a few names, then what are you going to say? That they were such foolish presidents, unlike yourself who is so unfoolish and lives life in total reality trying to make fun of people that beleive, because obviously its important for you to appear clever and smart? What exactly is your reason for coming into a thread thats clearly about astrology and mocking people in it? Should we say" Oh, pinksquid is so smart. Telling us we are not smart because we beleive in astrology. I admire her/his great intelligence". Puh-leez.
Let me give you an example of why astrology is not scientific. The dilemma doesn't come from the fact that you can measure something...you can measure anything, get arbitrary data and derive something "meaningful" from it. What if people started to take a "precise measurement" of one's index finger, and then begin to claim that the length of the finger is relative to one's personality traits. Astrology falls into the same category as palm-reading as well. Look - I don't care if you believe in it, just realize that it is NOT a true science. It cannot be tested against a hypothesis from ACTUAL data. That = not a science.

That's ALL I'm trying to argue. I'd suggest just doing something as simple as taking a glance at the Wikipedia article for astrology for evidence if you still don't believe me.

As far as Presidents that used astrology, I was seriously just curious. I briefly looked online and didn't find anything claiming that. I'm curious if your claim is true--and if it is, if you can show me something that says that a President has used astrological data/an astrology in help to make decisions or whatnot, I won't refute it nor try to argue it. Honestly I looked online once more, and although I found some random people claiming it--I didn't find anything of any worthwhile authority verifying that.

About 80% of what you said with your quote above was an attempt at an attack on my "personality." Lighten up, why take it so personally? Maybe it was kind of a-hole-ish for me to come on and act surprised so many that people take astrology seriously and for more than just entertainment--but I WAS surprised. I'm just kind of perplexed as to why correcting someone on something makes me a "sarcastic know it all."

Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Let me give you an example of why astrology is not scientific. The dilemma doesn't come from the fact that you can measure something...you can measure anything, get arbitrary data and derive something "meaningful" from it. What if people started to take a "precise measurement" of one's index finger, and then begin to claim that the length of the finger is relative to one's personality traits. Astrology falls into the same category as palm-reading as well. Look - I don't care if you believe in it, just realize that it is NOT a true science. It cannot be tested against a hypothesis from ACTUAL data. That = not a science.

That's ALL I'm trying to argue. I'd suggest just doing something as simple as taking a glance at the Wikipedia article for astrology for evidence if you still don't believe me.

As far as Presidents that used astrology, I was seriously just curious. I briefly looked online and didn't find anything claiming that. I'm curious if your claim is true--and if it is, if you can show me something that says that a President has used astrological data/an astrology in help to make decisions or whatnot, I won't refute it nor try to argue it. Honestly I looked online once more, and although I found some random people claiming it--I didn't find anything of any worthwhile authority verifying that.

About 80% of what you said with your quote above was an attempt at an attack on my "personality." Lighten up, why take it so personally? Maybe it was kind of a-hole-ish for me to come on and act surprised so many that people take astrology seriously and for more than just entertainment--but I WAS surprised. I'm just kind of perplexed as to why correcting someone on something makes me a "sarcastic know it all."
Because you came on with a "know-it-all attitude". If you had been concise like you are being now, nobody could accuse you of just wanting to put others down who do beleive. That is what I took as wrong. It is someone's choice to beleive or not, if you don't beleive then fine, that's your choice, but to indicate that you think nobody else should beleive, is just being obsessive. People here deserve respect and should not be treated like they are in the wrong just because your opinion doesn't coincide with theirs.If you don't beleive it, instead of coming in here and saying negative things, just don't come into an astrology thread at all. Or else, you will get someone to call you on it. Simple as that.

As for the presidents, well I have read of many that did, such as Abraham Lincoln and Richard Nixon. Nancy and Ronald Reagan, were very open about the fact that they did. Teddy Roosevelt, President Harding ,and there have even been claims that Freemasons George Washington, and Benjamin Franklin, used astrological charts . Even though there have been many articles and newspaper stories commenting on these presidents having been into astrology, the truth is that only the Reagans admited to it. The other ones were too afraid to say they did because it has never been looked on in a favorable light by society. So even though the list is long, there is no actual data that proves this. Therefore, the skeptics can say it never happened. The only ones talking are people who were familiar with them and aides of the president. And the Reagans.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Because you came on with a "know-it-all attitude". If you had been concise like you are being now, nobody could accuse you of just wanting to put others down who do beleive. That is what I took as wrong. It is someone's choice to beleive or not, if you don't beleive then fine, that's your choice, but to indicate that you think nobody else should beleive, is just being obsessive. People here deserve respect and should not be treated like they are in the wrong just because your opinion doesn't coincide with theirs.If you don't beleive it, instead of coming in here and saying negative things, just don't come into an astrology thread at all. Or else, you will get someone to call you on it. Simple as that.

As for the presidents, well I have read of many that did, such as Abraham Lincoln and Richard Nixon. Nancy and Ronald Reagan, were very open about the fact that they did. Teddy Roosevelt, President Harding ,and there have even been claims that Freemasons George Washington, and Benjamin Franklin, used astrological charts . Even though there have been many articles and newspaper stories commenting on these presidents having been into astrology, the truth is that only the Reagans admited to it. The other ones were too afraid to say they did because it has never been looked on in a favorable light by society. So even though the list is long, there is no actual data that proves this. Therefore, the skeptics can say it never happened. The only ones talking are people who were familiar with them and aides of the president. And the Reagans.
What triggered me to even go beyond the "I can't believe people believe in this, etc" (which I admit, as I said, was kind of jerk-ish for me to hijack a thread and say that, not something I typically do ) was your claim that it's a science. That's why I elaborated further and began to dispute. Which it still isn't a true science, regardless of what you say--I'm sorry--even people who actually study astrology know they can't call it a science due to the reasons I've already stated.

Anyhow, as far as the Presidents thing--okay, sure, that's fine. I actually find it somewhat interesting...

Don't take what I'm saying so personally--even as I initially responded to you--never did I feel what I was saying would have such an apparent "effect" on you or whatever. You've claimed some pretty strong things about my personality from a relatively small amount of things I've said. Some of us are blunt, and never did I mean to "attack people that believe" in astrology or whatever. All I wanted to say is that it's not a science, as you claimed it was. This is a forum, a place to discuss things, try not to be hypersensitive.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
What triggered me to even go beyond the "I can't believe people believe in this, etc" (which I admit, as I said, was kind of jerk-ish for me to hijack a thread and say that, not something I typically do ) was your claim that it's a science. That's why I elaborated further and began to dispute. Which it still isn't a true science, regardless of what you say--I'm sorry--even people who actually study astrology know they can't call it a science due to the reasons I've already stated.

Anyhow, as far as the Presidents thing--okay, sure, that's fine. I actually find it somewhat interesting...

Don't take what I'm saying so personally--even as I initially responded to you--never did I feel what I was saying would have such an apparent "effect" on you or whatever. You've claimed some pretty strong things about my personality from a relatively small amount of things I've said. Some of us are blunt, and never did I mean to "attack people that believe" in astrology or whatever. All I wanted to say is that it's not a science, as you claimed it was. This is a forum, a place to discuss things, try not to be hypersensitive.
Fair enough. A few people gave me rep points on my posts, feeling you were being insulting to CD folks. But its over. You have explained your case and it seems logical to me. I have no further complaint.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. A few people gave me rep points on my posts, feeling you were being insulting to CD folks. But its over. You have explained your case and it seems logical to me. I have no further complaint.
No biggie. Sorry if I came off too strong and if I insulted you (or the others). Now you all can get back to the actual topic of this thread, lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships