Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times

Advertisements

Aren't views on interracial dating, age-gap relationships, even dating conventionally unattractive people often judgemental in base?

if we take interracial dating, are there many younger people who frown on this? Isn't it largely older folks, who grew up in an era where racism was more open and tolerated, and when the races didn't mix as much?

if we take age-gap relationships, well two people of differing ages could have a lot in common. this is often enough to make a relationship work.

even if one dates a very fat man/woman (as an example of a conventionally unattractive person), then so what? it could be something other than looks that attracts them, or it could be looks, who knows?

Is this just wishful thinking, or are judgemental dating attitudes to be expected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
I don't know what you are asking, frankly. Everyone has their own preferences as far as who they find attractive. I don't consider that to be "judgmental". It's simply human.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
People judge. It's just the way of it all the way around, not just in the dating world.

What would you think of someone who dated a psychiatrist? Hmmmm?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Aren't views on interracial dating, age-gap relationships, even dating conventionally unattractive people often judgemental in base?

if we take interracial dating, are there many younger people who frown on this? Isn't it largely older folks, who grew up in an era where racism was more open and tolerated, and when the races didn't mix as much?

if we take age-gap relationships, well two people of differing ages could have a lot in common. this is often enough to make a relationship work.

even if one dates a very fat man/woman (as an example of a conventionally unattractive person), then so what? it could be something other than looks that attracts them, or it could be looks, who knows?

Is this just wishful thinking, or are judgemental dating attitudes to be expected?
I was always hung up on the age thing. But my older friend whom is Philippine told me, "True Love has no Boundaries" But I still feel, it doesn't? I don't want to change his depends, have other people say, "Is that your father?, or have him die. (Which would be totally heartbreaking)

Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
People judge. It's just the way of it all the way around, not just in the dating world.
True. Even when people who are the same race and age group date people will judge and talk. Question is, how much do you let it bother you.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 PM

513 posts, read 1,582,019 times
Quote:

People judge, that's just part of human nature, and frankly usually there are at least some truth to their judgment. That said, I think this whole question is moot: does this judgmental individual have anything to do with you? If not, why do you care about their judgment. If they're part of your life, I guess you have to figure out a way to deal with it one way or another. For example, if you were white and you fell for a black dude, but your parents simply refuse to accept him no matter what. You can break up with him or learn to live with an estranged family. It's up to you to make that decision. But you're usually not in a position to tell others not to judge, in any case, it won't change anything in real life, it's just life, and in real life, people judge whether you like it or not.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:

They might not come out and say it's wrong, but their 'preferences' reflect the fact they're not very open to it. I've actually known cases where girls were attracted to men of a different race, but decided not to pursue them because of social pressures. So it's bull**** to say it's simply preferences (yes, alot of it is, and you can't force anyone to like anyone) but societal pressures make the playing field unfair for certain groups.

I do think, however, it is changing. Probably those born after 1988 or so seem alot more open to it it seems.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

What would you think of someone who dated a psychiatrist? Hmmmm?
yes, people do judge. this is why I asked if it was wishful thinking. But I think if two people want to be together, then there is nothing wrong in the relationship.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times
Everyone makes judgments on some level just human nature, but I feel u- can't we live and let live? Maybe in a perfect world???

Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't know what you are asking, frankly. Everyone has their own preferences as far as who they find attractive. I don't consider that to be "judgmental". It's simply human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships