Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,057 times

Advertisements

OK so here it goes. Since Monday my wife has been away on business and I have been at home with the kids and going to work. My wife will return home this evening, and this afternoon after work I will be away all weekend for a conference. This morning my 11 year old daughter asks me to pick up some oak tag from the store on my way home this afternoon for a class project she is doing. I tell her that I won't be coming home this afternoon due to the conference, and to tell my wife when she gets home tonight. She immediately starts to cry. I didn't understand why because we have been having a nice this week while my wife has been away. I comfort her and continue out on my way to work. While driving in I call my wife and tell her what happened. My wife tells me that I should pick up the oak tag and drop it off at the house before I go to the conference. I remind her what the plan was and had been for the last 2 weeks (that I would go straight to the conference after work, and I thought that since she was going to be off both Saturday and Sunday that she would be able to buy the oak tag no problem). She then tells me that sometimes I need to step up as a parent and handle situations that come up. WTF?? I have been home handling whatever problem comes up and going to work, and not once while she has been away did I bother her with a "What should I do now?" type problem, nor did I ask her to pick something up on her way to the airport. What is it I'm missing here? Again thank you all in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
That is a strange reaction. Snappish and unreasonable. Only you know if this is typical for your wife or if she could be reacting because of something else (the project she's away working on is going badly?). It's no excuse, but sometimes people lash out for dumb reasons and are sorry later. Your daughter should have told you earlier that she needed this item. If you can't get it, you can't. Like you said, your wife will be home all weekend, so I don't know what the problem could be.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
She's probably just having a bad day. Don't worry about it.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,668 times
Your daughter is crying because Mom has been gone, and she only has you to depend on right now. So she lets you know she needs your help and you blow her off and say ask your mother when she gets home because I'm not going to be here. Not knowing how long life actually is, she only sees the present and is a little scared. I'm assuming you told your wife that your daughter began crying. Your wife saw your daughters side right away (what's more important, doing something for your kid or the conference? To you? Obviously the conference. To your daughter? She can't see the whole picture, she's just a kid.) and told you to pick it up. You then become the hero to your daughter. I don't see the wife's reaction as snappish at all. She's female and saw it more emotionally than logically like you do.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,101 times
Eh, I don't see the problem in what you did. If your wife is coming home that afternoon anyway she could pick it up so you can do your business just like she has done hers already.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:31 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,540 times
You've been away from each other, under pressure. She snipped at you. Sometimes we get cranky and just have to let it go.

But do make a point to spend some time together asap.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Your daughter is crying because Mom has been gone, and she only has you to depend on right now. So she lets you know she needs your help and you blow her off and say ask your mother when she gets home because I'm not going to be here. Not knowing how long life actually is, she only sees the present and is a little scared. I'm assuming you told your wife that your daughter began crying. Your wife saw your daughters side right away (what's more important, doing something for your kid or the conference? To you? Obviously the conference. To your daughter? She can't see the whole picture, she's just a kid.) and told you to pick it up. You then become the hero to your daughter. I don't see the wife's reaction as snappish at all. She's female and saw it more emotionally than logically like you do.
I completely agree - great post

Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Sorry, an 11 year old is not that much of a baby. There's something else. I have no idea what, not enough long term info.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:01 PM

105 posts, read 221,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post

You are joking, right?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
That's where the uncles and aunts should step in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships