Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times

Advertisements

Why Generation-Y Can’t Read Nonverbal Cues - WSJ.com

I agree some points. I tend to question the effect of technology on a person's patience, attention span, and learning curve, especially in the workplace. But it makes a great point how those non-verbal clues in social setting are being lost as well.

Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
I agree 100% with this article. Anytime I'm in a restaurant, I'll see a couple where one or both people feel the need to answer every text message they get. Like this article mentioned, these people figure there's no harm in sending a quick text. After all, it only takes a minute or less and if it's important, like a babysitter sending a quick message to a parent, then of course you have to answer. But I doubt most of the messages people get require an immediate response. And I doubt these people realize that not everyone appreciates it when they do respond.

What's also true is in communicating with these tools, a lot of the meaning is lost. I sent a girl I was seeing flowers one time and she texted me a thank you. I understand she was at work and maybe couldn't talk on the phone. But it would've been nice to actually hear her voice. You can tell how thankful someone is by hearing their voice or seeing it on their face. A message on a screen is a lot colder.

I can't help but wonder how Generation Y will be as adults. For most people, learning good communication skills takes time and practice. Maybe as teenagers, you were awkward but as an adult, you're very good at expressing yourself. But it was something you learned with practice. These kids who rely heavily on text messaging and Facebook to communicate with others may have trouble adjusting. In the workplace, I can IM my coworkers. But if I can, I just go talk to them in person. And one thing I never do is take my phone into a meeting. Why do people have such a hard time resisting the need to grab their phones every 5 minutes? A short attention span is a huge turn-off.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I can totally see that. I think a lot of people who spend so much time online have developed their online personas so much that when they get out in the "real world" they have some difficulties. Oftentimes, I think the online personas are so vastly different than who they are in real life, it really adds to the difficulties of relating to people in the real world.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
I can see future generations now. When one says "Honey, we need to talk", that means both will go to their computers and start talking to each other through facebook, twitter or whatever the new fan dangled social networking site is out there.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
I've met people who have fights with their SO over email and text rather than in person. I guess it's easier for them to type how they feel instead of say it in person.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Mark Bauerlien is a douchebag. He needs to start writing articles about something he understands; perhaps he should start with his own generation, and not mine.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
It's not just the young. I have friends who are in their 30's and 40's who act like idiots with their gadgets. Constantly texting or checking their phone every ten minutes. It's annoying. I think it's more about how you were brought up than anything else. If your parents taught you manners and raised you with a degree of class, you'll act appropriately. So who are the parents of these young networking kids? It's the older generation who are failing to teach them proper social ettiquette. The theory that we are dumbing down with each generation doesn't hold much water. I can walk into any Barnes & Noble and the parking lot is packed. People young and old standing on long lines with books in their hands. I'm not ready to start screaming that the sky is falling just yet, or at least I'm not ready to blame Generation Y for it anyway.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 10-01-2009 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's not just the young. I have friends who are in their 30's and 40's who act like idiots with their gadgets.
Ditto. My coworkers go to happy hour the Friday after payday (which is tomorrow.) I can tell you right now that one of the guys will be texting on his phone the entire time. I've asked him, "why are you even here if you don't want to talk to any of us?" to which he says, "huh?" without looking up from his phone.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,981 times
This has touched a nerve. I'll go in a room to see a patient and they'll be texting away as I'm asking them questions. They answer me, but don't look up from their keyboard. Not only rude but it really does them a disservice. Sometimes they'll say something or have a look on their face (the ones that pay attention) that prompt me to ask a question that maybe they hadn't considered part of their issue. I can't get at the subcontext when they don't allow for it. Nonverbal communication is a HUGE part of my diagnostic reasoning.

Now I just knock on the door, open and introduce myself. If they don't IMMEDIATELY get off the phone/stop texting/playing Sudoku I say "Oh, I see you're busy, I'll see my next patient and come back."

As I've mentioned, I fear for the species...

Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
I agree 100%, the face to face social skills necessary for development,
will be stunted or nonexistant. As a result, we'll have a new set of social skills evolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships