Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,912 times

Advertisements

Last comment I hope.
A person can live in a small town and be involved with the arts professionally.
That is if they have their union cards, trained, contacts, demo, agent or mgr, etc...
A person can be sick and still from time to time do it. If you dont want to believe that you can.. I have a friend whose in Interlocken Michigan--we went to school together--whose has a small successful career in CA. She lived in LA--moved back to MICH--and submits herself or her mgr does. Im am submitting myself for things and am auditioning for something thy already have an interest in me for..

I think this has turned into country vs. city ppl. SAD. I love everybody equally.

But the problem is what we are fighting about. YES--The ppl here are into a different way of life--NOTHING WRONG WITH IT--I'm a bit envious myself. But you'll attacking me as delusional..as are the people here... YOU and they are assuming the same. THERE IS NO WAY A PERSON CAN ACT OR DO COMEDY NOW AND THEN and still live in a small town. BUT I DO--and I HAVE A FRIEND WHO DOES. ITS possible. w/o being delusional-a liar--or a dreamer. I don't look down at the ppl's jobs here--why look down on mine. Afterall I said I'm ILL--and doing this on a limited basis.

Why is no one saying wow-this guy is very ill--he's fighting a bad illness--and still trying to do something he loves?
WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?
I think we are so polarized-are we not American's anymore. My dad died for his country. Did he die only for the NOrth>? Did he die only for a big city?
MY ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS--WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR DOING SOMETHING UNCONVENTIONAL AND ARE ILL--AND LIVING IN A PLACE THAT DON'T GET IT--AND CALLS YA CRAZY? how do you find companionship--

and you missed the point---- i am ILL--VERY ILL FROM CHEMO--I AM ON DISABILITY--I AM SAYING THAT NOW AND THEN I ACT PROFESSIONALLY. I'M DOING SOMETHING IN ADDITION TO COLLECTING BENEFITS WHEN MY HEALTH IS UP TO IT. tHATS NOT A DREAMER AND THATS NOT DEAD BROKE BECAUSE OF ACTING--ITS BEING BROKE BECAUSE OF BEING ILL. atleast i'M trying to do something worthy WHEN MY BODY LETS ME. tHERE'S NOTHING ELSE i CAN SAY. I'M DISSAPOINTED THAT SOME PPL WOULD BASH A GUY WHOSE ILL AND TRYING TO DO SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH HIS LIFE AND JUST ATTACK HIM AND SAY MEAN SPIRITED THINGS BASED ON UNTRUTHS.

Last edited by bigcityguytrapped; 10-11-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 01:59 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,907,688 times
There are plenty of cities in the south that are a little more open-minded. Perhaps you went a little too small town at 26,000?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM

720 posts, read 1,409,192 times
Oh bless...I read your post 3x and I still can't figure out WTF you're trying to say.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,691,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguytrapped View Post

and you missed the point---- i am ILL--VERY ILL FROM CHEMO--I AM ON DISABILITY--I AM SAYING THAT NOW AND THEN I ACT PROFESSIONALLY. I'M DOING SOMETHING IN ADDITION TO COLLECTING BENEFITS WHEN MY HEALTH IS UP TO IT. tHATS NOT A DREAMER AND THATS NOT DEAD BROKE BECAUSE OF ACTING--ITS BEING BROKE BECAUSE OF BEING ILL. atleast i'M trying to do something worthy WHEN MY BODY LETS ME. tHERE'S NOTHING ELSE i CAN SAY. I'M DISSAPOINTED THAT SOME PPL WOULD BASH A GUY WHOSE ILL AND TRYING TO DO SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH HIS LIFE AND JUST ATTACK HIM AND SAY MEAN SPIRITED THINGS BASED ON UNTRUTHS.

Have you read your post from the beginning? I mean, we actually do have some sympathetic people here on this forum, but you need to come down a notch or two, and talk to where we can understand you, instead of being all over the place. We are pretty much, for the most part, down to Earth around here. Why not talk our language so we can try to help you?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,415,696 times
Alright Mr. Frasier..

Let me get my ragging over with before I answer your question. Just bear with me, it'll only hurt for a moment.

First off dude, I don't believe half of the crap you've said. It's not because it is or isn't true, but it's because of how you presented yourself. As an "actor", you must know that presentation is pretty much all you have. If you're going to ask a question and expect a serious response, then cut out all the crap and just ask the question.

Here, let me show you:

"I just moved to a small town recently from a major city. For some reason, I'm having problems fitting in with people around here. While I lived in NYC, I had no problems meeting people, but this is such a culture shock. Everyone is involved in their own cliques and I feel like I'm just an outsider. While dealing with this is hard enough as it is, I also have chronic pain and am on disability from it. It's hard to get a job because of that. I just feel lonely here. Any advice?"

It's short and simple, and everyone can understand what your asking. There's not a single mention of acting there, or of how much you made or what you used to do - all of that is just "fluff", and much of it makes me think of you as someone just begging for attention instead of being intent on improving your situation. Nothing wrong with you saying that you're an actor, but it's how you say it. Hell, I'm a writer but I don't think there's many people here that know that - it's just not that important. I'm not going to go off bragging or dropping trade jargon just to impress people. I promise that that will turn them off faster than anything.

Ok, enough of that crap.. time to get to the issue at hand.

So man, when it all comes down to it, I feel for ya. I've always lived in a big city myself - Miami, Chicago, Tampa - and never once thought I'd ever live in a place with a population that's less than 1000. But bro, here I am - and to be honest, once I got used to it, I'm actually enjoying myself.

When I fist moved here, I felt the same way you do - there's nobody here that's even remotely compatible with me, much less single AND compatible. But, me being me, I decided that I wasn't going to let that get in the way of things. I started going out and doing what I like to do. When I encountered someone, I said hi and struck up a conversation. I traveled to nearby towns just to see what's there. I went to the chamber of commerce to learn about the towns. I went to visit all those stupid historic markers, all of that jazz. Thing is, by simply living life the way I always had, I started to make friends. Sure, just a couple at first, but now I can walk into any store and know at least someone there - even if it's just the cashier. Once I started meeting people, well, I started going on dates - I may have had to drive for 30 mins to meet someone, but that's really not a big deal.

Thing is, everyone knows where I came from. I have that slightly off-beat Floridian accent, mixed with a hint of Chicago slang.. but man, nobody cares. They make fun of me for being a city-slicker, and I make fun of them for being a bunch of in-bread rednecks, but it's all in good fun. I never once have considered myself better than them, just different, that's all.

Man, it's all about how you want your life to be. If you want to make friends, get dates, be happy, whatever - then YOU have to go out and do something about it. Be true to yourself, without putting on airs and trying to be the "big shot city boy". All that crap doesn't work. People are people, no matter where you live.

I wish ya luck..

Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,214,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguytrapped View Post

Why is no one saying wow-this guy is very ill--he's fighting a bad illness--and still trying to do something he loves?
WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?.
Because everyone in here has some sort of illness or situation they are battling and no one knows who you are or what is wrong with you. Your original post, which you edited and still didn't make sense, did not specify what exactly your illness is or was but you stated you are well enough to go out, date, audition and work so the sympathy issue is a moot point and just doesn't cut it.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,767 times
Maybe the OP is having a hard time meeting people and relating to them, just like he is on the forum?

Time to try a new method approach maybe. Life doesn't have a script...you just roll with it.

I started in a city, moved to the country, back and forth a few times. I'm now back in a small town where no one knows my name, and they prefer it that way.

I'm a huge social person, so at first this was very challenging. Now I find that going out among the masses is exhausting...and so I get my kicks on CD's route 66

Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
You know, I think the Headline of this thread has the clue. 90% the comedy of Frasier was the fact that the main character was really clueless despite all his snobbery. He couldn't relate to other people outside his rarefied set of interests. Even when he did the right thing, he was so offputting that nobody really liked being around him.

Here's the thing. The very fact that you have labeled the population of this town as "Larry The Cable Guy" says a lot about you. Yeah, it's kind of a funny line, but it also means that you indulge in a lot of stereotypical thinking in how you assess others--an attitude that might show. Second, I've been in a lot of small southern towns, and I know that all of them have some kind of artistic community. No, they're not New York in scope or talent, but it exists nonetheless. A town of 26,000 is bound to have some like-minded people (Heck, I just went to a theater production in a town of 5,000 a couple of weekends ago. It wasn't Off Broadway, but it wasn't awful, either). You just have to have the energy to go out and find them.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-12-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,332,164 times
Hang in there BCG! At least you're trying, and putting forth an effort, to adapt to your surroundings. Just remember that it is best NOT to brag about your teaching credentials, etc. Because that sort of thing-although works in the big cities of America-doesn't work in small town America. The general population will assume you're being condescending and arrogant if you name, degree, or charity work, drop.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hang in there BCG! At least you're trying, and putting forth an effort, to adapt to your surroundings. Just remember that it is best NOT to brag about your teaching credentials, etc. Because that sort of thing-although works in the big cities of America-doesn't work in small town America. The general population will assume you're being condescending and arrogant if you name, degree, or charity work, drop.
How do you know he's trying? He might simply be strutting into the feed store and looking down his nose at everything and everybody. Then wondering why he gets the cold shoulder.

You know, relating to people in small towns isn't much different than relating to people in large cities: Start a conversation and listen respectfully, while suppressing the desire to talk about oneself nonstop. It's just not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships