Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times

Advertisements

Well, I just got back home from a 2nd date I had with this guy I met online a few weeks ago. We had a nice dinner, but I'm feeling a bit depressed now that I'm back home. I haven't talked to this guy much outside of our two dates, but he seems really sweet and sincere, and I think he's serious about finding someone to be with long-term. I want that too, but my dating history has been nothing to brag about, and I feel like I've lost hope on some level that I can actually meet someone who's right for me and be in a relationship that works out.

I broke up with my ex at the end of August and this is the first guy who I've been out on a date with since I've been single. So I guess I'm reluctant to allow myself to get my hopes up about him, and I know I shouldn't anyway at this point because it's too soon. But yes, he seems like a really good guy and I think we're both at the point where we want something real, but I guess I'm still feeling vulnerable from my break up and I don't want to get hurt again. Which I'm sure is totally normal and doesn't necessarily mean that I shouldn't be dating right now. Just that I should take things slowly and have fun and not expect too much in the beginning. Right? Sorry for the rambling, just needed to vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 03:17 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Yes, now would be a good time to take it slow, enjoy yourself, and go with the flow. If something is going to happen it will. I know it's hard to put yourself out there after you've been hurt, but it's important to do so. Best wishes!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:29 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Yes, now would be a good time to take it slow, enjoy yourself, and go with the flow. If something is going to happen it will. I know it's hard to put yourself out there after you've been hurt, but it's important to do so. Best wishes!
That's what I think. Go out with just to have fun. Find out who he is by having fun with him and take it slow.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, I just got back home from a 2nd date I had with this guy I met online a few weeks ago. We had a nice dinner, but I'm feeling a bit depressed now that I'm back home. I haven't talked to this guy much outside of our two dates, but he seems really sweet and sincere, and I think he's serious about finding someone to be with long-term.
Wow! The World is a changin`, because I would be nervous meeting a guy online, whom I haven`t talked to much. But....I know...I`m old fashioned. Shush!!

Day by day..... don`t rush into anything. Take your time. And for heaven`s sake, there is such a thing called a telephone. Get to know him through phone conversation. It just may help.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Yes, take your time, get to know the person, and understand that what you want and what you might get are two different things.

Getting hurt is part of the game apparently.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Wow! The World is a changin`, because I would be nervous meeting a guy online, whom I haven`t talked to much. But....I know...I`m old fashioned. Shush!!
Yeah, we e-mailed for about a week and then we decided to meet up (in a public place, of course). I chose to do it quickly because I figure it's just better to meet in person as soon as possible instead of talking to someone online/by phone for several weeks and building up all these expectations that they then fail to meet. So I like him and he seems to like me, and we both agreed to a 3rd date. But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking "Yeah everything is cool now, but we know how it's going to end!"

But you guys are right that I should just take it one day at a time, get to know him, and not worry about the end result or dwell on my past relationship failures.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yeah, we e-mailed for about a week and then we decided to meet up (in a public place, of course). I chose to do it quickly because I figure it's just better to meet in person as soon as possible instead of talking to someone online/by phone for several weeks and building up all these expectations that they then fail to meet.
Whew! Not me. Man, I would want to get a "feel for him" if you will, before meeting him. Just to jump on line, meet someone, and then agree to meet them in person....

Old 10-11-2009, 04:56 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Whew! Not me. Man, I would want to get a "feel for him" if you will, before meeting him. Just to jump on line, meet someone, and then agree to meet them in person....
Yeah I'm with you. I have to get a better sense of them before I'll agree to meet. A few phone calls work better for me after the email thing. If that goes okay, then I'm good with a meet.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah I'm with you. I have to get a better sense of them before I'll agree to meet. A few phone calls work better for me after the email thing. If that goes okay, then I'm good with a meet.
Boy, let me tell ya`.....this new age sh*t, I can`t keep up with, and wouldn`t want too. What do they do? Meet online, then agree to meet immediately after? We hear so many horror stories about this, and yet people still think that its ok? Is there still not such a thing called a "telephone" anymore.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Boy, let me tell ya`.....this new age sh*t, I can`t keep up with, and wouldn`t want too. What do they do? Meet online, then agree to meet immediately after? We hear so many horror stories about this, and yet people still think that its ok? Is there still not such a thing called a "telephone" anymore.
I do understand where you all are coming from (and you sound like my mom, btw. ) When I first started meeting people online several years back, I remember having several phone conversations and sometimes we would talk for a month or more before meeting in person only to find that we did not like each other. I just don't feel like a long drawn out "getting to know you" process before meeting is necessary anymore, considering that I'm driving my own car and meeting them in a public place. I did do some online stalking of this guy to see what I could dig up before we met, and I did find some things, but nothing that put me off. I feel like having a lot of phone conversations beforehand would take away from our conversation when we actually meet, and I would probably end up rambling on the phone and revealing too much information about myself. So I don't know...I had a good vibe and didn't feel uncomfortable about meeting him after only a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships