Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

AIDS and herpes though are two different things.

You don't get well from AIDS. Herpes, some people never even break out at all or only break out a few times and then thats it, without medications. I just don't see why you would add the stress and cost of a lawsuit for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
AIDS and herpes though are two different things.

You don't get well from AIDS. Herpes, some people never even break out at all or only break out a few times and then thats it, without medications. I just don't see why you would add the stress and cost of a lawsuit for it.
It causes physical pain, medical expense, it limits their sexual freedoms (not sure if that it the appropriate word, but I think you get the idea) when they risk infecting others. It is not something the gal in the OP consented to being imposed upon her. It's one thing if the guy didn't know he had it, but he DID know and didn't disclose it. That is where he violated and deserves to be held accountable.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Read up on your law books! Criminal battery, unlawful application of force? Nonsense!
I beg to differ, my friend. I AM a California lawyer, and in California (as in MOST states) transmitting a sexually transmitted disease to another is a battery and is punishable as a crime and is actionable as a tort. Read up on YOUR law books and get back to me.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:28 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Would you be acting like this if he gave her a cold sore? Because it is the same thing. Just on your other area.

She made the mistake by not having him tested and then sleeping with him. Testing is part of being sexually active if you want to stay healthy.
Agreed.

Was she a virgin before sleeping with him? Because if not, there'd be no way to prove who she got it from.

One of my college friends had her first herpes outbreak a full six months after splitting from her fiance (she knew he had it), and assumes she got it from him because he's the only one that she knew of who had it, but considering how many guys she slept around with , there's really no telling.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I don't know about herpes, but DNA was used to pinpoint the strain of HIV the women on Oprah were infected with, and that sealed the deal. Is there a way to find this out with herpes? I'd love to know. Does anyone know if there is or isn't, for sure?

Yes, you're taking risks with your life and the lives of others when you don't protect yourself. You take risks when you do since nothing is guaranteed. You cannot "make" someone get tested, nor can you guarantee that the results are reliable, final or authentic. The fact remains that this man knew he had an STD and knowingly infected another person.

For that matter, why not tell an assault or scam victim they should have checked their partner's/friend's/neighbor's background before shaking their hand the first time? What if the offender had no criminal record? Is the victim then less responsible? What of the women who have been married for years and end up infected because their husbands cheated? Are they less responsible as well?

Have any of you actually said the words, "I consent to you giving me herpes/HIV/gonorrhea."? I doubt it.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Another ignoramus who can't read. Sorry. I shall be all forgiving and understanding if the moderator wipes me out on this one.
Hi STT Resident,

I didn't spend 10 years of my life living like a monk so I could control a nasty disease with medication so my wife could ride the drug store pony. I don't want to deal at all.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't know about herpes, but DNA was used to pinpoint the strain of HIV the women on Oprah were infected with, and that sealed the deal. Is there a way to find this out with herpes? I'd love to know. Does anyone know if there is or isn't, for sure?

Yes, you're taking risks with your life and the lives of others when you don't protect yourself. You take risks when you do since nothing is guaranteed. You cannot "make" someone get tested, nor can you guarantee that the results are reliable, final or authentic. The fact remains that this man knew he had an STD and knowingly infected another person.

For that matter, why not tell an assault or scam victim they should have checked their partner's/friend's/neighbor's background before shaking their hand the first time? What if the offender had no criminal record? Is the victim then less responsible? What of the women who have been married for years and end up infected because their husbands cheated? Are they less responsible as well?

Have any of you actually said the words, "I consent to you giving me herpes/HIV/gonorrhea."? I doubt it.

Anyone who knowingly has an STD and has sex with someone without informing the other person they have it before sex needs to be turned into a sieve with 10 gauge bird shot at point blank range.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I have best friends to help me hide the body.

Get some concrete galoshes from the Godfather.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't see why she couldn't sue him for deliberate infliction of harm or something like that. Either that or take a bat to one of his knees.
Aim higher and center...

Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lol, we got plenty of gator holes out here in the ONF!

The Crabs will strip the bones...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships