Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 PM

69 posts, read 448,718 times

Advertisements

This may sound silly to some but I met this girl online and have been talking to her for over a year. In time I started to develop feelings for her and I didn't know what to do about them because I wasn't sure if I'd ever meet her and while I would tell her that I thought she was amazing I wouldn't go very far with it because I was worried about what would happen if I did. Things were good until about a month ago she told me she had a boyfriend and when she said that it felt like I had been crushed by a mountain.

I know many will probably think I should have expected this to happen because we live so far apart but I have feelings for her that I can't deny. I still talk to her like nothing is out of the ordinary but its harder now. She is the most amazing person I have ever known and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. What do you all think I should do? Fire away lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Is there some reason you have not met her??

I can only speak for myself here but while I think its good to use the computer to FIND someone, I think its not necessarily a good thing to allow a relationship to developo this way, its not real, you don't really get to know the person AND you may fall in love with them...but there you are in a different state...

If you feel this way...go to her, wherever she is...see if your feelings stand up to reality..

Please understand that my opinions are based on the fact that I met someone online...we were online and phone only for about 6 months...once we met, things were not the same...of course things could be very different for you, my experiences are MINE...

BUT I still say, if you feel this way, what do you have to loose, if you don't go meet her, won't you always wonder if things would have worked out if you had??

Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
You should have went 6 months ago maybe. But there could still be hope. I'm not qualified to give you any advice either. I've never had an online relationship. You might ask her what she thinks about you paying her a visit...or visa versa.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM

I have mentioned meeting her sometime in the summer and she said that she'd like that and I'm planning a trip out to her state. I have no idea what will happen when I meet her but I'm so invested in this that I have to do this to find out if things are as good in person as they had been online. Thanks for the advice

Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
I'm not an expert but ...
If you have been talking to her for over a year, why did she hide the fact that she had a boyfriend? Is that something that surfaced when you mentioned a meeting? If she conveniently left out the fact she had a boyfriend, then maybe she left out a lot more stuff too.
I'm sorry if I seem harsh, but I know if it were me I'd want the blunt truth. Please be careful if you are planning on meeting her.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Or perhaps she just recently accuired a bf?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'm not an expert but ...
If you have been talking to her for over a year, why did she hide the fact that she had a boyfriend? Is that something that surfaced when you mentioned a meeting? If she conveniently left out the fact she had a boyfriend, then maybe she left out a lot more stuff too.
I'm sorry if I seem harsh, but I know if it were me I'd want the blunt truth. Please be careful if you are planning on meeting her.
Yes, I'm leaning this way myself. However, even if she did just acquire a boyfriend, why is she still talking to you instead of spending time with her significant other? Would you want to give your heart to & establish a relationship with a woman who's online at night talking to someone else? Be careful, guard your feelings & don't spend alot of $ when you seem to already have your answer. There's no shortage of women on the planet. She may "seem" like the "most amazing person you've known", but you don't really know anyone online. Only what they tell you.

It's great that you have a big heart. Give it to one who truly deserves it. Best of luck to you & I hope whatever you decide has the best outcome for you!... VV

Old 05-12-2007, 12:22 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Default That crushed feeling........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Man View Post
This may sound silly to some but I met this girl online and have been talking to her for over a year. In time I started to develop feelings for her and I didn't know what to do about them because I wasn't sure if I'd ever meet her and while I would tell her that I thought she was amazing I wouldn't go very far with it because I was worried about what would happen if I did. Things were good until about a month ago she told me she had a boyfriend and when she said that it felt like I had been crushed by a mountain.

I know many will probably think I should have expected this to happen because we live so far apart but I have feelings for her that I can't deny. I still talk to her like nothing is out of the ordinary but its harder now. She is the most amazing person I have ever known and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. What do you all think I should do? Fire away lol
If you feel the need to meet her in person, do so. If for no other reason than closure.

I don't know how old either of you are, but if you're young, it's not unusual to not know what you want and sometimes that leads to relationships overlapping. It's not a crime, it's just a sticky situation.

At least she came clean and told you. Being that this other man is there with her physically and she felt the need to "come clean" with you, it would seem as though she had a connection with this other man.

I think what you've experienced is one of the perils of online relationships, it truly is another world.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
If you feel the need to meet her in person, do so. If for no other reason than closure.

I don't know how old either of you are, but if you're young, it's not unusual to not know what you want and sometimes that leads to relationships overlapping. It's not a crime, it's just a sticky situation.

At least she came clean and told you. Being that this other man is there with her physically and she felt the need to "come clean" with you, it would seem as though she had a connection with this other man.

I think what you've experienced is one of the perils of online relationships, it truly is another world.
Yeah it hurts like hell but I dunno its confusing. I'm 23 and she's 19 so who knows what will happen, its just really hard right now. I guess I'll have to see what happens down the road

Old 05-12-2007, 10:00 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
You are young and have plenty of time. Develop your other talents, abilities and interests. By all means, meet this person but don't be too surprised if she's not who you thought she was. Go do some fun things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships