Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:01 AM

748 posts, read 1,314,111 times

Advertisements

Alright, here is the post/question of the day...

e-Harmony has several levels of communication, pre-formatted by the site, before you get to talk live with your potential match. If you are not interested, you archive your match and later Close it, closing it will block the other person from seeing your info or communicating with you... you can do this at any time.

The first round is 5 questions, that is the initial contact, you send 5 questions, he responds and sends you 5 questions.

The second level is: Must Haves and Can't Stands. You send a list of 10 for each, or is it 10 in total? can't remember... any ways, he sends you his.

The third level is: e-mail! you e-mail through e-Harmony, at which point you decide to exchange phone, personal e-mail and other info.

So... I've gotten through all levels of communication, and I am finally at the e-mail level with this guy, we exchange a couple more sets of q&a and his last e-mail asked:

What are your opinions on: Abortion, Gun Control, Sex before Marriage, LGBT Rights?

I was deep questions! So I answered thruthfully and honestly about what my opinions were, I do not believe it helps either of us, if I lied about it or glossed over the answer, but maybe I was too blunt? too sincere? I have yet to hear back from him... 3 days later.

Question is: Wouldn't it be better of him to say: "We don't quite see eye to eye... or I do not agree and this is a deal breaker, or something along those lines? or ultimately just 'Close the Match"!! instead of just not communicating at all... bear in mind I know he's read my e-mail, because you can see on his status when was the last time he logged in, and was active on the site.

What would you do if you were me? and what would you do if you were him? (disclaimer: there are no right or wrong answers, I already know what I would do, I am not asking for advice precisely, just for different points of view, thanks )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
If I were you, I'd drop EHarmony and get on Match where its not a fustercluck to email or communicate with someone. And its cheaper.

Geez, what a maze of communication. When I met my hubs on Match, he sent a wink on day 1, we exchanged emails and were communicating that same day, phone call next day, first date 5 days later, wedding 2 years later.

Simple. Cut the bull and get right into the convo and dump the electronic middleman.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
If I were you, I'd drop EHarmony and get on Match where its not a fustercluck to email or communicate with someone. And its cheaper.

Geez, what a maze of communication. When I met my hubs on Match, he sent a wink on day 1, we exchanged emails and were communicating that same day, phone call next day, first date 5 days later, wedding 2 years later.

Simple. Cut the bull and get right into the convo and dump the electronic middleman.
Thanks for the tip...

Although this comes from a couple of previous posts of mine

e-Harmony ambush!!!

e-Harmony Ambush!!! - Part 2

Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
Hahahaha! My wife's mother offered to pay for eHarmony for both her daughters (before meeting me, of course).

I hated eHarmony. Who cares why the dude hasn't written back. Certainly you have more matches lined up? I always had at least 10 matches at any given time.

The very first message I sent to my wife on Match was "Personality means everything to me, and I can't get that through emails. Let's meet." So we did, the very next day. Married a few weeks later, and a wonderful multi-decade marriage after that.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Sometimes people just take forever to write back. If you are no longer interested, just close him.

Speaking of eHarmony, I've been a member for like two months now and today was the first day I received ZERO new matches. Bummer.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
If he read it and has not responsed, something must have cut back his level of interest. Maybe give him a little more time or ask him what his level of interest is at this point. That said, a sudden stop of communication is not a bad sign.

That said, kudos to you for being honest!! In my online dating experience, that is always the biggest problem I faced. When I met the women I had been communicating with, I so often found they were nothing what I expected them to be, because of exageration, or witholding their feelings, or outright lying (which was rare).

Except for my fiance... she was everything I thought she would be and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post

Agree here too. I did not like eHarmony. Too much going on. I met my fiance on match.com originally. (She winked at me). That was Aug 2009. We get married in March!

Best of luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Wow, all those "quizzes" just to be able to talk to someone would annoy me. I know you have the membership through your dad but is there any way to quit and get any of his money back to him?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
The very first message I sent to my wife on Match was "Personality means everything to me, and I can't get that through emails. Let's meet." So we did, the very next day. Married a few weeks later, and a wonderful multi-decade marriage after that.
Wow! Cool story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

Agree here too. I did not like eHarmony. Too much going on. I met my fiance on match.com originally. (She winked at me). That was Aug 2009. We get married in March!
Aww. Congrats. I know more people who have gotten married from meeting on Match than any other place.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Hahahaha! My wife's mother offered to pay for eHarmony for both her daughters (before meeting me, of course).

I hated eHarmony. Who cares why the dude hasn't written back. Certainly you have more matches lined up? I always had at least 10 matches at any given time.

Awesome!! adorable story, got any twins?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If he read it and has not responsed, something must have cut back his level of interest. Maybe give him a little more time or ask him what his level of interest is at this point. That said, a sudden stop of communication is not a bad sign.

That said, kudos to you for being honest!! In my online dating experience, that is always the biggest problem I faced. When I met the women I had been communicating with, I so often found they were nothing what I expected them to be, because of exageration, or witholding their feelings, or outright lying (which was rare).

Best of luck!
YAY!! Congrats and the best of wishes for the years to come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships