Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prenuptial Agreements
Never! 15 20.55%
Sure! 58 79.45%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times

Advertisements

To be honest, I completely disagree with alimony altogether today. Its simply not necessary. As another poster said, people know when they go into marriages what they bring to the table. If someone is choosing to be a stay at home parent nowdays, that is fine, but they cant split at the drop of a dime and expect to be taken care of for years to come. There is always the option to get a skill/education BEFORE they marry, so that if they divorce, it wont be so crippling.

I certainly think alimony payments should cease in the wake of this free school legislation for single moms:

Obama's 'Moms Return to School' Government Grant Scholarship (http://ezinearticles.com/?Obamas-Moms-Return-to-School-Government-Grant-Scholarship&id=2397625 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Absolutely agree.... Your mother is a very wise woman.
She is pretty wise when it comes to money. The woman can stretch a dollar like no one I've ever known. All her life she's made minimal money, but has managed quite well just the same.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

I certainly think alimony payments should cease in the wake of this free school legislation for single moms:

Obama's 'Moms Return to School' Government Grant Scholarship (http://ezinearticles.com/?Obamas-Moms-Return-to-School-Government-Grant-Scholarship&id=2397625 - broken link)

Great just what we needed, more sexist legislation. As if single fathers wouldn't like to go to school. This is just one more example of men being marginalized by western society.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Default Would you sign a Pre Nup?

My friend is dating a wealthy guy (millionaire) and they've started talking about marriage. He hasn't mentioned her signing a pre nup yet but she's expecting him to bring it up but she's not sure how she feels about being asked to sign one. She said she feels that asking to sign a pre nup is a form of distrust because it's basically saying he doesn't trust her or the relationship so he has to protect himself and what's the point in marrying someone who doesn't trust you.

Is being asked to sign a pre nup a bad thing?

Would you sign one? Why/why not?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Your friend sounds like a gold digger. I would have no problem signing a prenup. Especially since I know that I might be filthy rich someday.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 AM

172 posts, read 785,573 times
I think that signing one is a good idea. I'm sure most people can relate to a relationship gone VERY bad, and even though starting out they don't think that person would ever screw them over, it happens. He could turn around and say she is after his money if she is against signing it. JMO.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
I think that signing one is a good idea. I'm sure most people can relate to a relationship gone VERY bad, and even though starting out they don't think that person would ever screw them over, it happens. He could turn around and say she is after his money if she is against signing it. JMO.
Yes that's basically what I told her. I told her not to look at the pre nup being about her persay but just being prepared for things that could happen in the future which neither of them can vouch for in the present. But she keep insisting its a form of distrust.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 AM

525 posts, read 948,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
My friend is dating a wealthy guy (millionaire) and they've started talking about marriage. He hasn't mentioned her signing a pre nup yet but she's expecting him to bring it up but she's not sure how she feels about being asked to sign one. She said she feels that asking to sign a pre nup is a form of distrust because it's basically saying he doesn't trust her or the relationship so he has to protect himself and what's the point in marrying someone who doesn't trust you.

Is being asked to sign a pre nup a bad thing?

Would you sign one? Why/why not?

Sometimes the person who is talking so much about distrust is exactly the person not to be trusted. An opportunity to marry a millionare? It's more a sign of mistrust that she has an issue with the prenup--after all it's not her money.
She should have an attorney on her side too to make sure the terms are reasonable!!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
Without a prenuptial agreement people are just looking for trouble especially with the plague of gold diggers going out there.
Gold digging men too? There are men looking for money from women, and I know many women who insist on prenups too.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Especially when you are older, have children and/or a business to protect, and perhaps your relative assets differ substantially, a pre-marital agreement is usually a good idea. It protects you both, though often one person has more to protect, but often for very good reasons.

Overall, about half of marriages fail, and when they do, civility and fairness are rarely exercised virtues. Handling the financial (and maybe some other) issues up front ensures fairness, and actually shows there is trust and respect entering the relationship. Many people have the really moronic idea that such agreements imply lack of trust and a problem in the relationship, which is the furthest thing from the truth in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships