Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,708 times

Advertisements

Well once again the holiday's are upon us. First off I hope everyone has had a happy thanksgiving. Now my rant/observation. Of course I want to have a simple/easy time this holiday season, but since I'm married this is not possible. This means I have to adhere to the wonderful world of compromise a.k.a. giving into what my wife wants to do while fooling myself into thinking that I really do want to take part in whatever brilliant idea she has come up with in the first place. This year like years before she has managed to think of some of the most awe-inspiring backward ideas only found in city or state run governments. For example we are spending approximately $3,500 on a home entertainment system, and we are also moving the entrainment system to a new location. The only extra piece of equipment needed to accomplish this feat is 25 feet of coaxial cable. But wait!! Coaxial cable costs approx. $20 in the stores ($7 on-line), and guess what? I'm being told its too much money!!??? The brilliant fix? Use an extra signal splitter in place of the 25 feet of uninterrupted signal coming from a single cable. Now I did explain (and drew a picture) as to why doing this part her way was a bad idea, and she said that she thought it would not make a difference in the signal, or picture quality. Respecting the fact that she has NO experience in setting up a video signal, and I have only had to do this since the day we first got together I listened to her and set the system up just like she requested. Of course there was a noticeable difference in picture quality which she saw, and then with the quick wit of a 2nd term Governor, or Mayor she decided it would be best to spend the seven bucks on-line, and get the 25 foot cable. Once again another example of how marriage and Government are really not all that different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Isn't this just marriage in general?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,468 times
Any relationship...dating, marriage, family, friends, co-workers...requires some degree of compromise. That's pretty much a given

I actually had to read your post twice because at first, I thought you were complaining about spending the $3,500. I'm not sure why you're so upset over $27 worth of coax cable. Feel fortunate that you can afford to spend $3,500 on a home entertainment center to begin with.

Out of curiosity...was the home entertainment center something that you had to compromise on or give in to?

Old 11-28-2009, 12:58 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,125 times
So, after you formed a committee to discuses the validity of translocating a previously working piece of equipment, you discovered that there was a vital piece of hardware that needed to be purchased for the existing equipment to work. Now the committee drafts a bill, which is introduced into the house, and then transferred back to a different committee, and then to a sub committee, all analyzing the fiscal impact of buying one piece of hardware over another. After much ado about nothing, and after review by several various committees, the bill is finally brought to the house floor, which it is debated on yet again. Finally, it was decided that the intrinsic value of the less expensive piece of equipment was feasible.

And now this entire process is repeated by the senate. After a few hours of deliberation, and a couple bottles of Excedrin (and midol), the bill has finally became a law - and the piece of hardware is bought.

But, the piece of hardware is inferior to the other choice, so now a bill for an amendment must be made in order to purchase the second piece of hardware at a much greater expense.

And after all the legal wrangling has been completed, its decided that the original piece of equipment must be moved back to it's original place.

Yes, I can understand how marriage and government can be related.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:41 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Well once again the holiday's are upon us. First off I hope everyone has had a happy thanksgiving. Now my rant/observation. Of course I want to have a simple/easy time this holiday season, but since I'm married this is not possible. This means I have to adhere to the wonderful world of compromise a.k.a. giving into what my wife wants to do while fooling myself into thinking that I really do want to take part in whatever brilliant idea she has come up with in the first place. This year like years before she has managed to think of some of the most awe-inspiring backward ideas only found in city or state run governments. For example we are spending approximately $3,500 on a home entertainment system, and we are also moving the entrainment system to a new location. The only extra piece of equipment needed to accomplish this feat is 25 feet of coaxial cable. But wait!! Coaxial cable costs approx. $20 in the stores ($7 on-line), and guess what? I'm being told its too much money!!??? The brilliant fix? Use an extra signal splitter in place of the 25 feet of uninterrupted signal coming from a single cable. Now I did explain (and drew a picture) as to why doing this part her way was a bad idea, and she said that she thought it would not make a difference in the signal, or picture quality. Respecting the fact that she has NO experience in setting up a video signal, and I have only had to do this since the day we first got together I listened to her and set the system up just like she requested. Of course there was a noticeable difference in picture quality which she saw, and then with the quick wit of a 2nd term Governor, or Mayor she decided it would be best to spend the seven bucks on-line, and get the 25 foot cable. Once again another example of how marriage and Government are really not all that different.
Yes, I can see in some marriages that spending absurd amounts of money over something "non-essential" and then arguing over the minimal cost of an "essential" item can be confused with useless government spending.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
For 11 months of the year Mrs. NBP is very laid back and mellow. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas she becomes bat **** crazy: Carol ringtones, Christmas movies, decorating, etc. And people wonder why I spend so much time in the goose blind this time of year.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:27 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For 11 months of the year Mrs. NBP is very laid back and mellow. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas she becomes bat **** crazy: Carol ringtones, Christmas movies, decorating, etc. And people wonder why I spend so much time in the goose blind this time of year.

And so it began today.
I hate Christmas.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Any relationship...dating, marriage, family, friends, co-workers...requires some degree of compromise. That's pretty much a given

I actually had to read your post twice because at first, I thought you were complaining about spending the $3,500. I'm not sure why you're so upset over $27 worth of coax cable. Feel fortunate that you can afford to spend $3,500 on a home entertainment center to begin with.

Out of curiosity...was the home entertainment center something that you had to compromise on or give in to?
Don't get me wrong in today's economy I'm blessed enough to be able to make this purchase, but I did give up MANY weekends with the family this year to work twelve hour shifts on both Saturday and Sunday for this to happen. I did the research and came up with multiple choices, so that I would be able to live with whatever model my wife choose. I let her decide on how the TV would be mounted (wall or console mount) and today my son and I picked up the console and I now have to spend the next few hours putting it together. This will be easy since every thing else is already in place on the old cabinet. The key to making the rest of the installation go easy is keeping her out of the living room so I can work in peace.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:04 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
Speak for yourself as far as the Holiday's and Marriage. You said, "Giving into what my wife wants to do while fooling myself into thinking that I really do want to take part in whatever brilliant idea she has come up with in the first place." How sad for you to go into the Holidays like this. Where's the communication in your marriage to speak up if it's something you don't want? A $3500 purchase should be an agreeable decision. If you can't talk to her about it, quit complaining. I would love to be setting up a $3500 system . . . TOGETHER! We work well together and respect eachother's opinion and know when to compromise. I'm sorry you prefer your wife out of the room.

We love this time of the year. My husband was just asking when I was going to put the Christmas village up. My daughter has already started to decorate the house. Our neighbor's houses are beginning to light up and soon ours will. I smile when the neighborhood children watch me put decorations up outside and squeal in delight.

The Holidays are what you make it. To me, they are about giving to those you love. I love to see the smile on my husband's face when I bake him his favorite pumpkin roll. I love shopping w/ my daughter for those less fortunate than us to make their Holiday extra special. I love collecting food and canned goods for the homeless. We get excited to give to eachother and hope to surprise eachother w/ something unexpected.

Useless Government spending doesn't necessarily have to portray a marriage. It's not just marriages that spending absurd amounts of money over something "non-essential" and then arguing over the minimal cost of an "essential" item can be confused with useless government spending. My single nephew has a budget way over what he can afford. We are married w/ a budget. The Government could actually learn from us.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
Gawd, I feel sorry for you. Thank God, I'm single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships