Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Parents/ grandparents say it about the kids "Oh, s/he is going to be so big/tall!" or "my boy/girl is so much bigger than children their age."
What's the big deal with this obsession?
Do you think it's more prevalent in certain parts of the country than others?
I think it comes from a time when people who had good nutrition grew bigger and taller and people who did not were short and underdeveloped.

Older folks, especially those who went through the depression (i.e. our grand parents and parents), have a thing about getting enough food and to them growing "big and strong" means that you are well cared for and that there was enough money to buy food to keep you healthy.

I think that in asian and other 3rd world countries there isn't as much emphasis on "big and strong" because "alive" is much more important. I think that Asian countries in particular it is not a big deal because most people are not "big and strong" there so being that way is not considered admirable. In fact, I believe in Japan, women want to be as petite as possible. At least I recall reading somewhere that women all want to be a size Zero, or something like that.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Hopefully sports scholarships.
Yeah mon.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think it comes from a time when people who had good nutrition grew bigger and taller and people who did not were short and underdeveloped.

Older folks, especially those who went through the depression (i.e. our grand parents and parents), have a thing about getting enough food and to them growing "big and strong" means that you are well cared for and that there was enough money to buy food to keep you healthy.

I think that in asian and other 3rd world countries there isn't as much emphasis on "big and strong" because "alive" is much more important. I think that Asian countries in particular it is not a big deal because most people are not "big and strong" there so being that way is not considered admirable. In fact, I believe in Japan, women want to be as petite as possible. At least I recall reading somewhere that women all want to be a size Zero, or something like that.

20yrsinBranson

That may be true for some Japanese women, although not every woman is into that. Men are definitely valued much more if they are big and strong. Big, strong boys are recruited into sumo, and if they succeed, they are valued and become rich babe magnets. Note I did not say fat boys........when fat boys go into sumo, they are made to lose weight and then gain muscle. Big, athletic boys gain fat weight, but the gains they make in muscle weight are much more important.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Asians are typically smaller than the average caucasian...so much so the pediatricians have separate growth charts for Asian children and other the other races.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,017 times
Allow me to share my view on height. I'm not tall, just 6'1". but I have been all heights up to this one. so when I'm in a crowd, I can see pretty good. but when I duck down to my dates height, I notice she can't see over people, She just sees the backs of the folks in front of us. Which is why she always wants to get up front at shows, were as I can see fine from most anywhere.--But I think the worse height a person can be, is "butt height" when you are so short, all you see in a crowd, is a sea of butts in front of you. I do remember, and the view as less than ideal. that is all

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
I would guess that overall, size,strength, and the ability to work are tied together. We have a long history with agriculture, the size of a person was assumed to be in direct proportion to their ability.

When I look at the primitive means avialable for farming before machinery I can see the reason for joy at seeing your children growing into tall strong people. Yes big men were considered premium labor and some could make money from that fortunate advantage. People of small stature were often remarkable for their hardworking abilities also, I would imagine they had to work harder to "prove" themselves.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Tallness is tied to health. There's a genetic factor, but good nutrition is part of it too. Those growing bones and muscles have to get the protein and calcium from somewhere.

My husband and I are tall, and so are our children. My 13-year-old daughter is 5'8". She got her growth spurt earlier than I did, so we thought she was slowing down, but she's been complaining of growing pains this week, so here we go again. We make sure she takes a multivitamin, drinks lots of milk, and eats right.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
That is tall! Not being funny, but are you able to buy off the rack or do you have to order the tall length in pants?
More recently (last 5 years or so) I've been able to buy Long/Extra Long off the rack and take the hems out. LOL Shirts are a lost cause because for some reason manufacturers equate tall women with having only long legs.

Otherwise I order from catalogs and the internet or wear mens apparel, but it's always a challenge. I despise shopping for clothes, accessories are another story.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
More recently (last 5 years or so) I've been able to buy Long/Extra Long off the rack and take the hems out. LOL Shirts are a lost cause because for some reason manufacturers equate tall women with having only long legs.
I feel your pain. Have you ever shopped at Tall Girl? Lands End also carries talls in shirts and tops.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Tallness is tied to health. There's a genetic factor, but good nutrition is part of it too. Those growing bones and muscles have to get the protein and calcium from somewhere.

My husband and I are tall, and so are our children. My 13-year-old daughter is 5'8". She got her growth spurt earlier than I did, so we thought she was slowing down, but she's been complaining of growing pains this week, so here we go again. We make sure she takes a multivitamin, drinks lots of milk, and eats right.

Ugh...the growing pains were the worst. I remember my mom using warm compresses trying to relieve the pain, but since it was in the bone, there wasn't much one could do. Most people had, and still have, no clue when I talk about growing pains. Even doctors would tell me there was no such thing.
The only person I knew that could relate was one of my older female cousins who stands at 6'. She used to get them when she was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships