Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you give them your personal accounts?
No I would not, it's privacy to me... 12 66.67%
Yes no problem, nothing to hide... 6 33.33%
Maybe.... maybe not.... I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times

Advertisements

I dont give any password to anyone nor do I ask/need someone elses, its their business and I believe in privacy. Besides if someone wants one bad enough, there are ways to hack private stuff so they could find out if they REALLY wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,895,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We share a computer in our house, and we both leave our e-mail up and open, routinely, and we both know that each of us uses the same couple of usernames and same password for everything.
I have corresponded with a few couples online, and personally I don't care for that kind of thing. They think it's cute and silly when the other is using the other's email address or certain types of messaging ID.

Then when they start letting their kids use their messaging ID, I'm outta there.

I want to at least know if I'm talking to a man or a woman. And if I'm friends with a woman, I want to have at least a small sense that it's you - not your husband or boyfriend. I think it's only a truthful, reasonable demand. Being straightforward.

Otherwise, I just wouldn't have anything to do with them online anymore. You can call me or we can talk in person. I don't have time to figure out who's really talking to me.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
My S/O does not need my passwords. Why would he? Why would I need his?
My emails are my business and dreadfully boring business at that..

Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I have corresponded with a few couples online, and personally I don't care for that kind of thing. They think it's cute and silly when the other is using the other's email address or certain types of messaging ID.

Then when they start letting their kids use their messaging ID, I'm outta there.

I want to at least know if I'm talking to a man or a woman. And if I'm friends with a woman, I want to have at least a small sense that it's you - not your husband or boyfriend. I think it's only a truthful, reasonable demand. Being straightforward.

Otherwise, I just wouldn't have anything to do with them online anymore. You can call me or we can talk in person. I don't have time to figure out who's really talking to me.

I don't think it's "cute" , it's just the way our relationship works that's all. When we give people our email address they are fully aware that it is for both of us and we've never had any problems. There is no devious plan to confuse people. We have just simplified our lives by minimising accounts.

I just don't see the point of having separate email addresses , for us anyway. Our friends are all shared friends, and the few business emails he might get on our personal address I will forward to him immediately anyway if I am at home and him at work. In fact I can usually tell when an email is meant for him and unless I think it's urgent I hardly ever open them.

There is one easy way to make sure only the intended person responds and that is by putting "for..... Bob" in the subject matter.

We have 4 personal email addresses and all are shared , though he tends to use one more than the other because it is set up that way on our second laptop.

So far we've never had any confusion from anyone and we've had email for over 15 years....

Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
To each their own, but being married or committed doesn't mean you stop being an individual. I would never give my email passwords to my SO because I am entitled to my privacy. So is everyone who writes to me. I'm not one of those people who shares my friends' and family's business with my SO.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
yeah, i do understand this comment.

while i don't feel the need to hide anything, myself and my friends tend to share online jokes, viral videos, they'll send me photos etc.
we don't really communicate on a serious level.

however, i gather the emails my g/f shares with her friends have slightly more "depth" to them, they'll often share secrets, talk about personal stuff which i have no want, nor need to know.

it's a perfectly understandable reason to deny access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
To each their own, but being married or committed doesn't mean you stop being an individual. I would never give my email passwords to my SO because I am entitled to my privacy. So is everyone who writes to me. I'm not one of those people who shares my friends' and family's business with my SO.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
The only password I had and all that I cared about was the bank account, LOL.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
So you both cheat and distrust each other.

OK, the question makes sense now
Cheat? So just because I want my privacy and haven't told him all my other accounts means I cheated on him?? Distrust no, I got none but I like privacy and it's not really their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships