Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times

Advertisements

What makes a woman intimidating to a man? I'm inspired by the "what scares men away" post...I've often wondered this myself, guys have told me that I'm intimidating even though I'm quiet & soft-spoken, I don't know what they are "intimidated" by? I don't walk around w/ a scowl on my face & I'm really rather friendly & seem to be approached quite a bit. Then one guy told me I was "wifey material" but he didn't want anything long-term...so I'm "intimidating wifey material"?? Ummm...OK. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,279 times
Yea, that's weird. Women don't intimidate me in any way. I could care less if she's a leather wearing, whip carrying Greek godess it's not intimidating. On the other hand I have heard that line used to a woman, and it usually just means the guy is not interested. Gotta remember things are never as complicated as women think they are with guys, but guys sometimes know exactly what to say to a woman in order to make her think they are not to hurt her feelings. Also when a guy says your "wifey material" to a woman that's never good...lol. Go on to the next guy.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
The guy was a rude non-committed flippant jerk.

You are LTR material, therefore, not compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
What makes a woman intimidating to a man? I'm inspired by the "what scares men away" post...I've often wondered this myself, guys have told me that I'm intimidating even though I'm quiet & soft-spoken, I don't know what they are "intimidated" by? I don't walk around w/ a scowl on my face & I'm really rather friendly & seem to be approached quite a bit. Then one guy told me I was "wifey material" but he didn't want anything long-term...so I'm "intimidating wifey material"?? Ummm...OK. Thoughts?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:38 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
I don't feel intimidated by women. Why should I?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Some guys are intimidated by beautiful women. Not sure what you look like, but if YOU know that you are very attractive, then I'm sure there are guys out there who might think they don't stand a chance since you appear to be able to get any guy you want. Shy guys tend to me more intimidated.

Then there are the ones who are just afraid of commitment. If they see you as someone who has her act together, is confident, and again attractive, that can be intimidating to some men.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
I think it is their level of hotness that makes them that way (see amanda0808).

Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,434 times
I have read enough of your posts Opera to get an idea of your personality. Hun you are too sweet, and nice. Men in your age bracket are scared into grey hair by the prospect of marriage. Have fun! Don't tell a new guy you want to get married and have 30 kids. If you are really hot, then play it down. Dress casual at times and even frumpy. Just relax, laugh, joke, whatever, you will find "The One" down the road.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
The only things I can think of are things that women and men are intimidated by in a potential SO
Intelligence, Self Reliance, Overt Mothering/Fathering instincts and the ability to make friends with the opposite sex. Oddly enough many of the same things that intimidate one person can be attractive to another.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The only things I can think of are things that women and men are intimidated by in a potential SO
Intelligence, Self Reliance, Overt Mothering/Fathering instincts and the ability to make friends with the opposite sex. Oddly enough many of the same things that intimidate one person can be attractive to another.

I agree. most men I've talked to are very intimidated by the self reliance...(i don't think intimidated is a right word though).

Also i've run into the "money making ability"... if a woman makes more money then the man - I've run into that type where they are "intimidated"...

But again... I don't think intimidation is the right word. But I think discouraged is a better word.. Maybe this relates to upringing on their part.. Its hard to say and this is just generalizations

Any man that feels that way towards you - is basically not compatible and there is someone that is more compatible for you. Don't take it personally.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
Well, ‘intimidating’ can mean several things. A woman’s physical attractiveness, her character, her demeanor, her attainment, all of that can be daunting to a man who considers such an appealing woman out of his league.

My experience is when men describe women as intimidating, they are most often referring to a woman whose spirit is hard and unyielding. They are intimidated by her contentious attitude, by her ‘chew ‘em up and spit ‘em out’ attitude. This kind of a woman makes men wary.

Unfortunately many women believe this is "successful performace" in the eyes of others, it's not. To be honest, it is a attitude problem that needs adjusted.

To me a woman is either peaceful and gentle or she is turbulent with pushy arrogance and has the impatience of a woman who is self-centered. Men are intimidated when they think they will encounter a brick wall when trying to lead or serve a woman like this.

That's been my theory for a long time. My buddies and I have discussed this over and over......

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships