Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times

Advertisements

My 17 yo daughter has a Boyfriend(18) - been dating for about 10 months-I like him. They go to eat dinner out alot- they do HW together and they go to friend's houses- he likes to pick which top she wears sometimes- he gave her a nice ring for her birthday- I was talking to my friend about them and she said he sounds "controlling" to me and watch out- that's what my ex-husband did- he gave me alot of nice gifts etc..they got divorced.BF hasn't given her that many NICE things- but he does buy her things- I do not see my daughter as much anymore- she works(babysits 2 x a week) she also has afterschool activities and has friends- they are teenagers and it is very hard totell them much b/c they know EVERYTHING- I guess i have never thought of him as controlling- this friend of mine has a 5 year old - I told her just wait- and she said no way will my child have a BF at that age- she'll be close to 60 by then- this boy treats my daughter well and she is happy -makes very good grades- should i be worried- Oh and she is on the pill if you are wondering-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Buying things leads to controlling leads to high odds of divorce...I don't buy it...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Buying things leads to controlling leads to high odds of divorce...I don't buy it...
I agree.

I would also add that if he was truly trying to control her, he would want her spending every spare minute with him. If she's got other friends and after school activities and is generally happy....I wouldn't put too much stock in what your friend has said. If you see sudden changes in your daughter and the things she does and who she spends time with (or not) - then I'd start wondering.

You should also make sure the lines of communication are wide open with your daughter so that IF something were to ever happen, the odds of her telling you about it may be greater.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
No, that's not controlling but its always good to be wary. But personally, i think your friend is a bit jealous of an 18 year old making out better in the man department than her.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Sounds healthy to me.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
No. I think your friends husband doesn't ever buy her anything.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,662 times
yeah buying her something nice for her birthday is a bad sign

tell him to hit her instead

Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
I agree with the others. I don't see it as controlling because he buys her things or picks out her top every once in a while. I think your friend is paranoid.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
thanks- what signs would say that he is controlling- other than being with him alot-they are together alot but with others around them- they like each other's company- they both had a parent leave them -his mom left him and his brothers(Dad has full custody) and her dad left her(I have custody) so i think they have something in common- I think she is jealous and paranoid- she does not liek people that have more than she does-

Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
thanks- what signs would say that he is controlling- other than being with him alot-they are together alot but with others around them- they like each other's company- they both had a parent leave them -his mom left him and his brothers(Dad has full custody) and her dad left her(I have custody) so i think they have something in common- I think she is jealous and paranoid- she does not liek people that have more than she does-
As I said above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
If you see sudden changes in your daughter and the things she does and who she spends time with (or not) - then I'd start wondering.
Plus, things like grades slipping and anything else that might be out of character for her.

Really, I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to find the "signs" that don't seem to be there. To me it sounds like they have a completely normally and healthy relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships