Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have any of you men lied to (or mislead) a woman about your career/job, age, etc. to get a date with
Yes I have, but it was just to get laid. 8 22.22%
Yes I have. I did it to get my "foot in the door" so to speak. 5 13.89%
No. I'm upfront about those things. Either she's interested or she's not. 21 58.33%
Obligatory "Other" option. 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times

Advertisements

I'm putting up a poll in case some of you wish your answer to be anonymous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
I did it once to try to get some. After that I found that I like the thrill of the chase and let my charm do the work.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I've never had a desire to do that. In the first place I don't think that what I am and what I've done is something I have to be ashamed of so I don't see any reason why I'd need to pretend to be someone I'm not.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Yes, I look younger than I am and have (previously) used that to my advantage

"I'm uh...23...yeah"

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yes, I look younger than I am and have (previously) used that to my advantage

"I'm uh...23...yeah"

Did the women ever find out? If yes, what was your and their response?

(This just happened to my sister, along with some other stuff, which is why I'm asking.)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Last year I went out with someone I met on an online dating site. When we first talked on the phone, he told me his address. Now if you lived in NYC, you would know this particular address because it is very prestigious, costing a LOT of money to live there. I found it weird that he mentioned it to me - most people will tell you broadly where they live, perhaps a neighborhood. That he told me the address led me to think something was up.

I ended up going out with him because I enjoyed talking to him. By the third date it was revealed that he was a financial loser so I dumped him. The address he gave me was where his EX lived, not him. I think he lied to make it seem as though he had his act together but he did NOT.

As an example, he mentioned to me that he didn't have the toll money to get to work in New Jersey so he was going to drive the long way, adding an hour to the trip. Sorry, but if you are 40 years old and don't have the five bucks it takes to get to work, you are a loser and I have no use for you. That same week he mentioned, "I've solved my money problems for the week. I am going to borrow $30.00 from 3 different friends and that will hold me until payday." Again, if $90.00 will get you out of a jam, there is something wrong with you. $900.00 I get... that sounds like an unexpected emergency could have happened. But $90.00? Come on. Then he complained about losing his teaching position, and that his ex wouldn't give him an extra week to pay his child support.

I gave him the boot explaining that his life seems rather chaotic and that I am not in the position to get further involved with someone having a lot of problems... feel free to give me a call in a few months once things settle down. He got really mad and said, "This is a real problem I have with your gender... the first sign of money problems you women always take off!" and then he started to go on and on about it.

Of course, if he REALLY lived where he claimed, he'd likely have him money situation under control and wouldn't have been dating me in the first place...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
I have a friend who tells a different story depending on who he is talking to.

If he thinks he's talking to a somewhat classy girl, he'll say he went to a good local high school (in reality for less than a year), and that he is going to school to be an architect (community college for about 1 month, no time recently). He will dig up anything he can think of from his past that would imply that he came from a solid education and a middle-class background. He guns for whatever he thinks they want to hear.

If he thinks he's talking to a girl who wants a "bad boy", he'll be more honest -- he will admit he is a convicted felon who spent a few years in prison. He might talk about the fights he's been in, or stories from the bad places he's lived, or show his tattoos, whatever.

What I find fascinating, is that because he is such a smooth talker, this works great for him! He is so friendly and charming, that he disarms women and they never really challenge him in a way that would cause him to stumble over his words. You ask how it turns out? -- he can hold down neither a job nor a relationship, and will only reluctantly acknowledge the value of either of these.

Last edited by le roi; 01-28-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
I can only remember one that found out.

We went together to get piercings. When I was filling out the form I had to show an ID. She noticed but didn't say anything until we were driving home.

All she said was "Didn't you say that you were 23?" I was a bit but she just laughed and said "no big deal".

A bit different from the time that I found out about the girl who lied to me about her age. When you invite me to watch you run a marathon you need to consider what age group your time is going to show up in.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:50 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Nope! Never lied. Can't do it. Would have been fruitless anyway since I've always been friends with the girl/woman before ever asking them out. They'd have seen right through me if I'd tried to mislead them. Besides, a relationship built on lies is not my idea of a good time!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Hate to say it, but yeah I've done that. Early 20's, trying to impress a girl, she was hot, we were at a bar. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships