Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:08 PM

76 posts, read 108,575 times

Advertisements

Have you ever failed in a relationship because your S.O. had a quirk about something you did and you didn't stop because you knew you didn't fit the mold.
Example: your wifes father was a major alcoholic, vanished for days when he got paid, so she says I don't want you drinking but you do anyways because you function fine, you work, don't drive drunk and are responsible....etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Everyone has baggage. The trick is being able to negotiate solutions. Will she end up being reasonable?

You can't ever drink is not reasonable. Even if you consider why she feels this way. You have to find a middle ground that's acceptable to both of you. Perhaps that might be you can't drink and drive.

If you can't find middle ground, there's trouble coming down the road. Relationships are all about compromise. If she can't compromise, bail.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVAmale View Post
Have you ever failed in a relationship because your S.O. had a quirk about something you did and you didn't stop because you knew you didn't fit the mold.

Example: your wifes father was a major alcoholic, vanished for days when he got paid, so she says I don't want you drinking but you do anyways because you function fine, you work, don't drive drunk and are responsible....etc etc.
With that example, she shouldn't impose her damage about her dad on her hubby. He's an adult and can drink if he wants to as long as it doesn't affect the family negatively, at which time they'd both have some decisions to make.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,861,543 times
Quote:
If a person is with someone who drinks and it is an issue for them, I personally think they need to move on to someone who doesn't.

On the other hand a person who is asked to stop something they have no intention of, they should be up front and tell the asking party it isn't going to happen.

Better to end things than fight a war over it.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Yeah, that sounds more like her problem than yours.

It's sad and painful that she has this negative association with alcohol, but it's neither your fault nor your problem. And her association with it with regards to everyone else in her life is unfair.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
OP, stand your ground. Whilst relationships are about compromise, in my mind this does not mean sacrificing things you like to do, or interests that give you enjoyment.

I think speak with her and tell her that you're not prepared to fore go drinking, since you are not her father.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Quirk, it can sometimes be worked out? My issue with women is a matter of security, protection and could save my or my family's life. That issue is non negotiable. It is my responsibility to make sure under any circumstance I can protect myself and loved ones. Rugged

Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
I can certainly understand why she feels as she does. Why don't you just stop drinking?
A. You don't care for her anyway.
B. You have a drinking problem. (Meaning you want her, but you want your drink more.)
C. You don't want anyone telling you what to do.

She probably hates drinking because she saw what it did to her father. My late wife wouldn't drink at all because her mother was an alcoholic and she was afraid she'd have a weakness to it. She never asked me to stop drinking, but I quit anyway, just because if she didn't drink, I didn't need it either.

It's also possible that your S.O. recognizes that you have a drinking problem that you don't see. Most drinkers don't recognize their own drinking problems until after everyone else does.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
I agree with the above posts, except the one right above this one. I don't think your problem is lack of caring, no person should pay for the sins of another. You have to tell your wife that you are not her father and it's unfair for her to try to do you what she can't with him. (And just to be fair, you should probably mention that this is hurting your marriage - and leave before starting a new relationship). Good Luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,140 times
I love to eat meat, my wife is not so keen on it but she'll eat it. Mainly chicken and sometimes beef (turkey of course). However I really like lamb. She didn't like that fact about me and wanted me to give it up entirely. So I compromised and made a deal with her. I won't buy it to eat in the house, but if we're going out to dinner and its on the menu I should be allowed to eat it if I wanted to. I also pointed out to her that I would not stop her from eating what she wants and I'm not trying to rebel against her, I just want to enjoy the things that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships