Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I was thinking, when it comes to dating and relationships, would your immediate town or city play a role? Take example of where I live, a town of about 25,000 made up of mostly Mormons. There are not alot of opportunities around here (at least I'm going to UofA this year). What do you think, does your town kind of sound the same?
I'm not quite in the same situation but I was told by someone once that I was "geographically undesirable". I lived about one hour from where she lived. The first two things that went through my mind was that I have a car (a reasonably fast one ), I don't mind driving, and that's why they built freeways. Alas, that 'relationship opportunity' went nowhere...

What can you do. Next...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I'm not quite in the same situation but I was told by someone once that I was "geographically undesirable". I lived about one hour from where she lived. The first two things that went through my mind was that I have a car (a reasonably fast one ), I don't mind driving, and that's why they built freeways. Alas, that 'relationship opportunity' went nowhere...

What can you do. Next...
WTH?! It can take me more than an hour to get to some parts of the same town! Granted, it's not ideal (I think a neighbor is as close in terms of convenience as a husband ; in fact, it would be great if a husband is just a very close neighbor ), but it's hardly a deal-breaker.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
WTH?! It can take me more than an hour to get to some parts of the same town! Granted, it's not ideal (I think a neighbor is as close in terms of convenience as a husband ; in fact, it would be great if a husband is just a very close neighbor ), but it's hardly a deal-breaker.
That's what she said to me...no kidding...! I've driven 2.5 hours in rush hour traffic to see someone but it was no big deal because I wanted to see that person.

Looking back on what I wrote I should have said "the first three things..."

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
If I wanted to find an abundance of single women, I'd look in a smallish city that is a state capital. Lots of single, mobile women going there for those government office jobs. Someplace like Jefferson City, Frankfort, Springfield, Lansing, Albany, Harrisburg, Olympia.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I spent most of my twenties living and working in a rural town of 7,000. On top of that, it was my hometown, which I'd left for about half a dozen years to pursue schooling and other work before returning for a job. So not only was there a relatively small percentage of that 7,000 who was young and single, the few there were, I'd likely already dated, in high school, or knew well enough from growing up there that I knew I didn't WANT to date them.

Even at that rate, I still maintained an active dating life during my time there. Actually, I dated more in the years I lived there than when I lived in an urban center prior to moving back. No excuses, you put yourself out there, stay open to things, and be willing to be creative.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I spent most of my twenties living and working in a rural town of 7,000. On top of that, it was my hometown, which I'd left for about half a dozen years to pursue schooling and other work before returning for a job. So not only was there a relatively small percentage of that 7,000 who was young and single, the few there were, I'd likely already dated, in high school, or knew well enough from growing up there that I knew I didn't WANT to date them.

Even at that rate, I still maintained an active dating life during my time there. Actually, I dated more in the years I lived there than when I lived in an urban center prior to moving back. No excuses, you put yourself out there, stay open to things, and be willing to be creative.
Well yes. But I don't think the same applies where I am at. But I'll try my hand at Tucson. So *fingers crossed* I finally get my chance soon.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Of course. Big cities= more to choose from but also more competition.

Small towns, less of both. But you could be a big fish in a small pond.
I am a big fish in a small pond or I feel like it. Give me a bigger town (500,000 people). I will at least get my feet wet and go more places to experience real life rejection and NOT having to rely on the frikken internet for dating. Can go to more common interest places to hang out and more often.. I will take more competition in a bigger city. It certainly has to = more girls for every guy looking.
In a smaller village town with red style politics, theres less of both. just like Mr Humble said. More competition in big cities, but more people as well. You will find your way I think in a bigger town.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Hmm, I think I need to take a vacation or, at least, a road trip! What city are you talking about?!

It's tough where I am. Buckle of the Bible belt, small city surrounded by lots and lots of nothing until you get to Dallas, big on country music/dancing (I'm not), you get the picture. I don't do the bar thing but I think I'm probably going to have to give it a go and see what that scene is like.

I like some bars, just not the ones near me. It sounds like you're in a town not much different than I am. Only I am in FL, not the Dallas area.
If country music is your thing, dancing, or doing things in the 55+ range, hate Obama, then you will have little problem here. People in their 50s here have it good vs someone single and young 30 yrs old. I mean theres retirement communities for them.. My mom and stepdad are getting a divorce, my stepdad is moving into one of those communities, and my mom loves his chances to meet a new ladyfriend in one of them. Its good if you are older since you come from a different time and can share more common points. HELL if you are my age AND more progressive. People my age here act too old and have children or are too serious. I am the opposite.

If you are in the alternative thinking crowd, you need a hip bohemian town. Thats the only way I see it.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying small towns are bad. Actually I love small towns, thing is, there is something about my town that has nothing for me, no options, no possibilities. You know what I mean?
Yes I certainly do. I am in this spot.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
What exactly constitutes a southern belle, what are they? Ms. Scarlett types?

When I think of southern belles, I think of the lady in B-52s or maybe someone vintage looking/rockabilly and really fashionable. Those girls if single, probably a good reason for it. Then again, I am single and maybe girls think I am not relationship material because I stand out, much like those girls do for their respective gender.

I know of one, really vintage looking, has 2 kids, tattoos, but never would occur to me to ask her out.. she might get lots of guys lining up as well. I don't like targeting those who may have a long line to get in her pants. Its an automatic out usually unless they initiate first. Thats how I'll know competition isn't a big deal to a girl like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships