Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times

Advertisements

I know I am going to start WWIII with this thread but I ran across this attractive looking man the other day and I complimented him on his attire. He was dressed in a nice suit, well-groomed, etc. His response was....."Well, not that it's hard for me but I try"....I'm like WTF? I just smiled and walked away rolling my eyes.

I started thinking, while I don't consider myself "all that", I do ok. NEVER would I respond to someone in such a way! With the increase of "metro-sexuals", the competition for mirror time is on the rise. So my fellow CD'ers....given the current dating/relationship scene, who do you think is stuck on themselves more when it comes to their looks ....men or women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I know I am going to start WWIII with this thread but I ran across this attractive looking man the other day and I complimented him on his attire. He was dressed in a nice suit, well-groomed, etc. His response was....."Well, not that it's hard for me but I try"....I'm like WTF? I just smiled and walked away rolling my eyes.

I started thinking, while I don't consider myself "all that", I do ok. NEVER would I respond to someone in such a way! With the increase of "metro-sexuals", the competition for mirror time is on the rise. So my fellow CD'ers....given the current dating/relationship scene, who do you think is stuck on themselves more when it comes to their looks ....men or women?
haha I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole, but I will be watching for the responses

Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:

I think there are a much larger quantity of women who behave this way. It seems that women typically derive more self-worth from their physical beauty. I think men, as a gender, get their self-worth from other sources, so we have inflated egos regarding our own power, or intelligence, or self-reliance, rather than beauty.

However men are just as capable of ridiculous narcissist behavior. I briefly had a roomate in college who would gaze at himself in the mirror. What I have observed, though, is that the biggest narcissists are often average, or slightly above-average looking men who preen themselves excessively. Many of the male-model types I grew up with were shockingly modest, and considering their gifts, were bad with attracting or keeping women; they were more sensitive about their perceived pretty-boy status among male peers.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think there are a much larger quantity of women who behave this way. It seems that women typically derive more self-worth from their physical beauty. I think men, as a gender, get their self-worth from other sources, so we have inflated egos regarding our own power, or intelligence, or self-reliance, rather than beauty.

However men are just as capable of ridiculous narcissist behavior. What I have observed, though, is that it is often the average-looking men who are the biggest narcissists.
Well said!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
His response was....."Well, not that it's hard for me but I try"....I'm like WTF? I just smiled and walked away rolling my eyes.
That's what I'd do, too!

Quote:
So my fellow CD'ers....given the current dating/relationship scene, who do you think is stuck on themselves more when it comes to their looks ....men or women?
I don't think they're the majority by any stretch of the imagination, but some men are definitely vainer than women and you can tell they spend more time in front of the mirror. On the bright side, they aren't that many and a good number of them are also gay, so that doesn't leave us much of that breed to live with. At least in my neck of the woods... Heck, I hardly ever see such specimens! Could be different in Manhattan, let's say. I do have a coworker whose hair is always in perfect order to the last strand; therefore, absolutely untouchable. That's why I have fun touching it!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's what I'd do, too!

I don't think they're the majority by any stretch of the imagination, but some men are definitely vainer than women and you can tell they spend more time in front of the mirror. On the bright side, they aren't that many and a good number of them are also gay, so that doesn't leave us much of that breed to live with. At least in my neck of the woods... Heck, I hardly ever see such specimens! Could be different in Manhattan, let's say. I do have a coworker whose hair is always in perfect order to the last strand; therefore, absolutely untouchable. That's why I have fun touching it!
LOL...don't you love running your fingers through spiked hair gel? I also see it alot with some bodybuilder types. Checking out my muscle growth my ***!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,526,544 times

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Women always think they look worse than they do and men always think that they look better than they do

Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

However men are just as capable of ridiculous narcissist behavior. I briefly had a roomate in college who would gaze at himself in the mirror. What I have observed, though, is that the biggest narcissists are often average, or slightly above-average looking men who preen themselves excessively. Many of the male-model types I grew up with were shockingly modest, and considering their gifts, were bad with attracting or keeping women; they were more sensitive about their perceived pretty-boy status among male peers.
Good post! I think women tend to be a bit more wrapped up in their appearance than men for the most part. Guys tend to prefer being the strongest, smartest, most athletic, handy, mechanically inclined one in the room, while women are typically more catty when it comes to their looks and having to share the room with another attractive woman.

A majority of the conceited men I've encountered are typically average or slightly above average in appearance as well, just like rubber_factory pointed out. Can't tell you how many times I've been out with the guys drinking and it was always the guys who weren't getting any that thought all the women in the room were checking them out.

Every once in a while you'll get a cocky dude who knows he's a looker and comes off like a male version of the Kardashians or some other stuck up tabloid celebrity. Those are the ones who typically try to play women into paying their way, similar to the beautiful women who conduct themselves in the same mannner with men.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Good post! I think women tend to be a bit more wrapped up in their appearance than men for the most part. Guys tend to prefer being the strongest, smartest, most athletic, handy, mechanically inclined one in the room, while women are typically more catty when it comes to their looks and having to share the room with another attractive woman.

A majority of the conceited men I've encountered are typically average or slightly above average in appearance as well, just like rubber_factory pointed out. Can't tell you how many times I've been out with the guys drinking and it was always the guys who weren't getting any that thought all the women in the room were checking them out.

Every once in a while you'll get a cocky dude who knows he's a looker and comes off like a male version of the Kardashians or some other stuck up tabloid celebrity. Those are the ones who typically try to play women into paying their way, similar to the beautiful women who conduct themselves in the same mannner with men.

LMAO...that is SO true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships