Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 PM

109 posts, read 202,752 times

Advertisements

Wow, the wife of my favorite couple just posted on FB that after 23 years she is on her way to being single again and does anyone have any suggestions for her. I feel like Ive been punched in the stomach...Im hoping it's just some big misunderstanding. But for her to post this on FB, something terrible must have happened. They are also individually two of my favorite, SANE people around. This has me really upset...ayayayayay....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
I bet she's either upset about friend stealing or she didn't get her farmville cow

Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
You never know what goes on in a marriage unless you're in it. I'm sorry your role models fell from their pedestal, but usually people divorce for very good reasons.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
If someone posted on Facebook that they were getting a divorce, I'd have a moment of serious reflection concerning the "rolemodel" status I had bestowed upon them.

That sounds trite, but I absolutely mean it. Who does that?

Actually, why is anyone not in college on Facebook? Tell her to grow the hell up, become bitter and despondent like everyone else and then ignore her problems with a coping mechanism. Like a real adult.

I use vodka. She doesn't have to. It's merely a suggestion.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
We never know what's transpiring in someone else's relationship. Never. Someone could easily have made the same statement about my first wife and me. Even our kids were shocked when they learned we were divorcing -- after 27 years. We had hidden our problems well from everyone, but that didn't make the problems go away.

You also don't know the details well enough to be upset. I mean, I understand that's the common sentiment, but what makes you upset? That you were wrong about them? Chances are it hasn't been a good marriage for years. You might be better off helping them celebrate a new beginning.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Be like everyone else put celebrities on a pedestal and when they break up you hate them until they find another great one..up again.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Honestly, I didn't even realize that Ive been putting them on a pedestal until now. And Ive said the same thing to other people before....'you never know what's going on in other people's relationships...'.

They are lovely people, doing great things in my community, and that's the truth.

I think my initial reaction of shock and disbelief has alot to do with HOPE for myself. We often do this, wrong or right, ie, look to others for hope of what we want in our lives. This doesn't mean that I have lost hope that I will have a good, lasting relationship in the future. And yes, I can admit that I must have subconsciously (Im human) idealized their relationship, it's a lesson for the future.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
If someone posted on Facebook that they were getting a divorce, I'd have a moment of serious reflection concerning the "rolemodel" status I had bestowed upon them.

That sounds trite, but I absolutely mean it. Who does that?

Actually, why is anyone not in college on Facebook? Tell her to grow the hell up, become bitter and despondent like everyone else and then ignore her problems with a coping mechanism. Like a real adult.

I use vodka. She doesn't have to. It's merely a suggestion.
Exactly. I can't believe the amount of stupid status messages I have to deal with. How they have the bestest husbands on the planet, thankful for their dog blah blah blah

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
RVP

14 posts, read 28,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishka View Post
Honestly, I didn't even realize that Ive been putting them on a pedestal until now. And Ive said the same thing to other people before....'you never know what's going on in other people's relationships...'.

They are lovely people, doing great things in my community, and that's the truth.

I think my initial reaction of shock and disbelief has alot to do with HOPE for myself. We often do this, wrong or right, ie, look to others for hope of what we want in our lives. This doesn't mean that I have lost hope that I will have a good, lasting relationship in the future. And yes, I can admit that I must have subconsciously (Im human) idealized their relationship, it's a lesson for the future.

Kishka, I'm sorry for your loss. And yes, it is a loss when friends divorce.

Good marriages go bad, and bad partners stay together.

Who knows, it's like a crap shoot?

Keep the faith in yourself. That's the best you can do.

Good luck,
RVP

Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVP View Post
Kishka, I'm sorry for your loss. And yes, it is a loss when friends divorce.

Good marriages go bad, and bad partners stay together.

Who knows, it's like a crap shoot?

Keep the faith in yourself. That's the best you can do.

Good luck,
RVP
RVP, thanks for your thoughtful and understanding post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships