Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,799,647 times

Advertisements

Today I had to go to the post office. I noticed a guy asking people for change.
I spent more than I wanted at the post office but I had $2.00 in my pocket. I figured this guy might need it so I gave him $2.00.

I'm always wary that the homeless person will spend it on alcohol or drugs but considering the economic times, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Looking back, I wish I had taken the guy to buy something to eat rather than just giving him $2.00.

What would you have done?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM

694 posts, read 1,234,411 times
To be honest, PurpleLove8, I would have given him one buck.
I sort of made it a personal policy to give if I am asked even if just a little if I cannot do more.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,937,133 times
The only time I've ever given money to a homeless person is once there was a girl that was pregnant, crying and all of perhaps seventeen. IDK, it just sort of hit me to see a chick like that, so I gave her $1. Who knows, she could have gone and bought crack or meth with it, I'll never know.

Personally, I don't give money to the homeless, yet I don't have the "you loser, get a job!" mentality that many do. I think that for someone to be on the streets, begging for money, without pride...means something is seriously wrong in their lives, and willpower cannot make them stop doing that. They need help; whether they have an addiction, mental problem, or combination thereof.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,262 times
last time i passed a homeless guy he randomly started yelling obsenities at me and said he wanted to fight me. stay classy philly

id rather have the $2.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,301,359 times
I would just give him the money. Who cares what they spend it on? It is not my place to judge. But if you feel more comfortable giving food, then do that next time.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,799,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
The only time I've ever given money to a homeless person is once there was a girl that was pregnant, crying and all of perhaps seventeen. IDK, it just sort of hit me to see a chick like that, so I gave her $1. Who knows, she could have gone and bought crack or meth with it, I'll never know.

Personally, I don't give money to the homeless, yet I don't have the "you loser, get a job!" mentality that many do. I think that for someone to be on the streets, begging for money, without pride...means something is seriously wrong in their lives, and willpower cannot make them stop doing that. They need help; whether they have an addiction, mental problem, or combination thereof.
I don't have the "you loser, get a job" mentality either but I guess that's kind of obvious since I gave him $.

I have heard stories of people who were once middle class and found themselves homeless. Many times they have kids and some people will go above and beyond for their kids. That might include begging for $.

I definitely think next time I'll offer to buy them food.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,541 times
I think for me it was depend on how is the guy begging for money and his appearances. If the guy appears as a drunkard asking for money then no thanks. If it's a poor man with nothing on then I might give him 1 or 2 bucks.
I don't really like giving beggars money anyways unless it's an exceptional case where I feel pity. Why don't they work and make money themselves, instead of working around asking people? They can work on any easy paying positions that doesn't even require a high school diploma such as cleaning house or throwing away garbage disposals.

I work hard for that money on my job as a telemarketer and it's not fair to give it out to any beggars for free.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,040,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
last time i passed a homeless guy he randomly started yelling obsenities at me and said he wanted to fight me. stay classy philly

id rather have the $2.
I hear you Ep, The last time i went into downtown Tampa, i gave a homeless guy a buck and some change..Two hours later i passed the same guy on my way to where id parked..and he begged for more, when i said that id already given him something, he started cursing..some deserve it, others don't..

what surprised me to learn is that there are people who work, but who will dress like a homeless person and pan handle..and some of them make Hundreds of dollars a month..makes you wonder

not too long ago, i saw a shopping cart in a parking lot with a sign which read " please give money for Alcohol"..had to shake my head at that one

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
I hear you Ep, The last time i went into downtown Tampa, i gave a homeless guy a buck and some change..Two hours later i passed the same guy on my way to where id parked..and he begged for more, when i said that id already given him something, he started cursing..some deserve it, others don't..

what surprised me to learn is that there are people who work, but who will dress like a homeless person and pan handle..and some of them make Hundreds of dollars a month..makes you wonder

not too long ago, i say a shopping cart in a parking lot with a sign which read " please give money for Alcohol"..had to shake my head at that one
there was a guy that always begged at 7-11 during my college years. one day he sat next to me in class. told me he made a killing just standing outside the store begging.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,437,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Today I had to go to the post office. I noticed a guy asking people for change.
I spent more than I wanted at the post office but I had $2.00 in my pocket. I figured this guy might need it so I gave him $2.00.

I'm always wary that the homeless person will spend it on alcohol or drugs but considering the economic times, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Looking back, I wish I had taken the guy to buy something to eat rather than just giving him $2.00.

What would you have done?
When he says to you "excuse me, can you spare me some change"....say I was just about to ask you the same thing.

Or buy him a healthy item of food with the change. Don't give him money, because we know where that is likely to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships