Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 7,978 times

Advertisements

It's like the person lying next to you is a stranger. All the things that only last week you found quirky and cute about them are suddenly annoying and infuriating.

I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years and I do love being with him, but something huge is missing, and has been missing since the beginning of this year. The connection I used to feel is not there anymore. I used to feel like we were one person and now I just feel like we have separate lives. On Friday nights he comes home and sits on the computer, I flick channels and get drunk by myself. I have NO interest in sex with him. His constant criticisms of people and tv shows and movies and everything infuriates me. And the worst part? I have no desire to fix any of it, I just want to move on. What does that mean? That I care for him but only as a friend? Has anybody else ever been through something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Ditch the Debbie downer...go out with friends. Meet new people....or here is a thought make him talk to you..tell your feelings...warning he may have the same...see if you can work it out. If not time to move on, life is short.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyinmyhead View Post
It's like the person lying next to you is a stranger. All the things that only last week you found quirky and cute about them are suddenly annoying and infuriating.

I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years and I do love being with him, but something huge is missing, and has been missing since the beginning of this year. The connection I used to feel is not there anymore. I used to feel like we were one person and now I just feel like we have separate lives. On Friday nights he comes home and sits on the computer, I flick channels and get drunk by myself. I have NO interest in sex with him. His constant criticisms of people and tv shows and movies and everything infuriates me. And the worst part? I have no desire to fix any of it, I just want to move on. What does that mean? That I care for him but only as a friend? Has anybody else ever been through something similar?

Relationships are like gardens - they HAVE to be tended. If you never water your garden or pick the weeds the garden dies.

Sounds to me like you guys have ignored your garden

Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,516 times
Quote:

I woke up after my ex GF and I broke up and realized she was not the person she proclaimed to be. If she was she would not have done what she did to me. That wasn't love at all. It was cruel and almost seems like it was done on purpose to mess with a guys head and feelings. Lucky for me I am doing my best to shake it off and move on with my life. I will not let another woman do something like this to me ever again. If I would have listen to my gut there wouldn't be a problem now at all. There would not have even been a relationship. I would have walked away before it even got started. People who truly love you won't hurt you. That is the last thing they would want to do. I have also learned some very valuable lessons about relationships and won't make the same mistakes again. I knew better yet my desperation to find someone that fit impaired my judgment. Oh well, life goes on!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I woke up after my ex GF and I broke up and realized she was not the person she proclaimed to be. If she was she would not have done what she did to me. That wasn't love at all. It was cruel and almost seems like it was done on purpose to mess with a guys head and feelings. Lucky for me I am doing my best to shake it off and move on with my life. I will not let another woman do something like this to me ever again. If I would have listen to my gut there wouldn't be a problem now at all. There would not have even been a relationship. I would have walked away before it even got started. People who truly love you won't hurt you. That is the last thing they would want to do. I have also learned some very valuable lessons about relationships and won't make the same mistakes again. I knew better yet my desperation to find someone that fit impaired my judgment. Oh well, life goes on!!!
Don't worry I have hope for you!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Don't worry I have hope for you!
Well that makes me feel better now!!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If I would have listen to my gut there wouldn't be a problem now at all. There would not have even been a relationship.
I wish I had listened to mine too. He was my protector and knight in shining armour more than anything. It should have never become a relationship. I was so young and silly.

Quote:
I knew better yet my desperation to find someone that fit impaired my judgment.
That's how I feel. I am/was one of these dependant women who has ALWAYS had to have a man there, ever since I was 16. Now at 28 I am rethinking that, in fact I am desperate for some time alone..

Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I wish I had listened to mine too. He was my protector and knight in shining armour more than anything. It should have never become a relationship. I was so young and silly.

That's how I feel. I am/was one of these dependant women who has ALWAYS had to have a man there, ever since I was 16. Now at 28 I am rethinking that, in fact I am desperate for some time alone..
Well lets just say I am older than you!!!LOL.......... I am old enough to have known better. I win the dumba** of the year award for '10!!!!LOL......... Just don't make the same mistake twice.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Well lets just say I am older than you!!!LOL.......... I am old enough to have known better. I win the dumba** of the year award for '10!!!!LOL......... Just don't make the same mistake twice.
If you don't mind me asking, who broke it off?

He loves me very much, and that's what I am finding so hard to let go of. I am in love with his feelings for me, not with him, if that makes any sense? It's not fair, I feel like I am using him and he doesn't deserve it.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:

If you were married and had kids, I'd tell you that my grandmother told me she fell in and out of love with my grandfather several times during their 50 some year marriage. Since you're not and you don't, it's your call. My only caution is that you should realize that it's quite normal to fall out of love and if you work at it, you can fall back in love too. Falling in love the first time happens all by itself. After that, you have to work at it. What would your reasons be to work at this relationship? Would you be motivated to work on this relationship knowing that, most likely, the same thing will happen in the next relationship too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships