Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM

494 posts, read 890,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I've been noticing this a lot lately as I peruse various sites. I've seen men say anything from "height & weight proportional" to rude things like "no fat chicks" and everything in between. Then you look at the guy's picture, and HE is a chunky monkey!

What gives? Is this just another symptom of most of us having unrealistic expectations? Or is this a sign that in my dating bracket, men get to be pickier than women? Or something else?
Widen your dating pool's age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM

239 posts, read 596,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Not all women are attracted to 6 packs and not all healthy eaters who exercise get them. People with 6 packs spend way too much time at the gym. I prefer someone who spends more time doing outdoors sports.
You're stereotyping.

Last edited by Creativeguy504; 04-21-2010 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Not all women are attracted to 6 packs and not all healthy eaters who exercise get them. People with 6 packs spend way too much time at the gym. I prefer someone who spends more time doing outdoors sports.
There's a saying among bodybuilders and fitness models. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. I used to spend a lot of time at the gym trying to get lean, but it wasn't until I cleaned up my diet that I started seeing more definition. Now that I eat better, I've discovered I don't need to workout nearly as much. So the point is that you can't infer that a guy with a 6 pack spends a lot of time at the gym. More often than not, the guys who spend a lot of time at the gym DON'T have 6 packs.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,682,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There's a saying among bodybuilders and fitness models. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. I used to spend a lot of time at the gym trying to get lean, but it wasn't until I cleaned up my diet that I started seeing more definition. Now that I eat better, I've discovered I don't need to workout nearly as much. So the point is that you can't infer that a guy with a 6 pack spends a lot of time at the gym. More often than not, the guys who spend a lot of time at the gym DON'T have 6 packs.
This is certainly true.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,989 times
I've not noticed any trend specifically among the men. I've seen both fat men and women demanding their prospective date be thin and physically fit when as the OP wrote they are chunky monkeys.

I had one responder to my ad years ago demand interested lady must make X amount of $$ income. After we met a couple times this person had the audacity to say to me "well you don't make enough money and I can see now that you aren't willing to take care of me... This person drew $630 a month on SSI. But is demanding a woman to make X amount to take care of them? We weren't even in a loving relationship...we met twice after I responded to a personal ad. What's up with people wanting otherwise complete strangers to take care of them?

Had another responder turned out to be 38, unemployed, back in fulltime school got mad when I refused to let them spend the entire summer break with me because the dorms would be closed for summer and they had no money and no place to go. Again...complete stranger asks this...

All I can say is that's why personal ads are mostly a joke and that's why they put scroll buttons on the computer and delete in your email account.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM

21 posts, read 34,105 times
I personally don't mind a little meat on a woman, but alot of these guys online are losers. Your best bet is try a club, or bar.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
There's an old cartoon that's still true. Maybe someone has it?

A cute shapely woman looks at herself in the mirror and sees a fat woman.

An overweight shapeless blob of a man looks in the mirror and sees Charles Atlas.

I don't know why this is but I've thought for a long time huge numbers of men stop seeing themselves when they are 21 or so. The changes just don't register. Maybe women need to learn how to do this so we can be young forever too. We would probably be happier.

And yes, this is all over the dating sites. Some guy who needs a mirror to see his own youknowwhat will date no fat chicks. These guys are not living in the real world. Scroll on by.....

Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchc303 View Post
I personally don't mind a little meat on a woman, but alot of these guys online are losers. Your best bet is try a club, or bar.
Yeah, cause you meet plenty of winners in the bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't know why this is but I've thought for a long time huge numbers of men stop seeing themselves when they are 21 or so. The changes just don't register. Maybe women need to learn how to do this so we can be young forever too. We would probably be happier.
There are plenty of women who do this already. Go to any mall, airport or other public place with a lot of people. I've lost count of how many times I saw a woman wearing an outfit that was two sizes too small or far too revealing for someone with her figure. I generally look down on women who show a lot of skin cause it looks like they're trying too hard to be noticed. But it's especially when bad when the woman is bearing her midsection showing the world that has a muffin top or a belly.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I've been noticing this a lot lately as I peruse various sites. I've seen men say anything from "height & weight proportional" to rude things like "no fat chicks" and everything in between. Then you look at the guy's picture, and HE is a chunky monkey!

What gives? Is this just another symptom of most of us having unrealistic expectations? Or is this a sign that in my dating bracket, men get to be pickier than women? Or something else?
Don't you know that many men, regardless of how fat, ugly, stupid, broke, etc., etc., they are think they are entitled to the following:

-- a brain surgeon (intelligent and has a good job!)
-- an heiress (wealthy!)
-- a supermodel (pretty and thin!)
-- a true "single" (aka no kids, because with 1 kid she would be a "double," 2 kids, she would be a "triple," etc.)

... all rolled up into one woman!

The men who write profiles like this actually expect that a woman who is far out of their league is their God-given right just because they don't want an ugly, fat, etc., woman!

Now if only their Mommy was God these wishes would come true!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Don't you know that many men, regardless of how fat, ugly, stupid, broke, etc., etc., they are think they are entitled to the following:

-- a brain surgeon (intelligent and has a good job!)
-- an heiress (wealthy!)
-- a supermodel (pretty and thin!)
-- a true "single" (aka no kids, because with 1 kid she would be a "double," 2 kids, she would be a "triple," etc.)

... all rolled up into one woman!

The men who write profiles like this actually expect that a woman who is far out of their league is their God-given right just because they don't want an ugly, fat, etc., woman!

Now if only their Mommy was God these wishes would come true!
Oh you forgot one... they also still expect a virgin even if she's 35. Because they don't want no woman that some other man has already 'spoiled'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships