Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times

Advertisements

Taking this from another thread - has anyone from your past ever tried or has played the game of OneUpManship with you? Have did you diffuse the situation?

From personal experience, I had a person from college use another person to claim that their significant other was president of a company, when in fact he was not. Instead, he was just a worker at the company. It turned out that the messenger was unhappy with their current work status, so with a smile and some tact, I said why don't you call up "so and so" since he's president of the company, he could hook you up with a more important job. Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I wish I had a camera.

This all came about, because this person had heard I was doing well in life (work, personal, just in general) and wanted to try to one up me. Some people improve as they get older, some become even more insecure. It was clear to me after that incident, which way she went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
No, because I'm not into material things, so I wouldn't be playing. I take more pride in HOW I do my work, rather than the type of work it is, or how much I'm paid. If I was playing "the game", that might happen more often, but I don't play that game. I'm content with where I am, and don't feel a need to brag about it to others.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
They can't play with you if you don't play back. Any attempt toward me was shrugged off. Diffused.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Have people from the past ever played OneUpmanship with you?

Awww...that's such a nice word for pompous, get-a-life, gotta-brag-all-the-time LIARS.

I have no desire to play games like this. I don't need to make myself feel worthy by bragging to others which is typically the case with these types.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, because I'm not into material things, so I wouldn't be playing. I take more pride in HOW I do my work, rather than the type of work it is, or how much I'm paid. If I was playing "the game", that might happen more often, but I don't play that game. I'm content with where I am, and don't feel a need to brag about it to others.
Same here - I don't worship money, I just have passion for my line of work. It happened to translate into success, professionally and personally, but I don't go around throwing it in someone's face. I'm actually a pretty humble guy. Things disappoint you in life - what occurred in that situation was one of them.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
This is why I prefer to be alone than in bad company.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
I've had that happen, in fact, the strangest thing happened to me once with a friend who is now an ex-friend along a similar vein...

Long story short: During college, we used to cocktail waitress together, went to a company X-mas party, got a little loaded, as a prank/joke I took a Matilda Bay wine cooler mirror that was hanging in the coat room on the way out (do they even still exist??), which was given to the hotel where the party was held for free by the Matilda Bay Company, just a cheesy mirror...

My ex-friend stole a CO-WORKER'S CAMERA off the table!!!! Hardly the same thing, I took a cheap plastic-framed mirror that was not anyone's personal belonging, she took a camera from someone she worked with no less....I was actually very upset about it but didn't want to get involved, didn't know the girl well.

Years later, she had a party at her house. I went, not really knowing the other people. She announced to the whole room in front of a bunch of people I didn't even know that I took the camera from that girl. I denied it but I was defenseless because these people were going to believe her over me, since they didn't know me at all and don't know the real her.

This from the same person that I discovered in college had taken some of my clothes behind my back to wear on her spring break trip (we weren't vacationing together). I found out when I found the pictures she hid from me of her trip, she lied and said that she hadn't developed them yet but our other roommate innocently showed them to me when she wasn't around.....

Needless to say, I left that party immediately I was so pissed and never spoke to her again.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
It happens with adversity, too.

"Oh, your mom died? Well BOTH my parents have passed."

"So you had to short-sell. That's nothing. My brother lost his house, his business AND his retirement."

"You're lucky only one of your kids has special needs. I have three kids with severe autism."

What is it about our culture that we even compete for sympathy/pity? What ever happened to compassion?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
People try, but they're never going to win.

The only person I compete with in life is myself, because it's the only level playing field where I'm in control of all the rules.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
It happens with adversity, too.

"Oh, your mom died? Well BOTH my parents have passed."

"So you had to short-sell. That's nothing. My brother lost his house, his business AND his retirement."

"You're lucky only one of your kids has special needs. I have three kids with severe autism."

What is it about our culture that we even compete for sympathy/pity? What ever happened to compassion?
That's often the under-educated's lack-of-common-sense way of relating to the person's situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships