Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,411,301 times

Advertisements

In January of 1979, at 18 years of age, I met Victoria. As if by magic, we were instantly attracted to each other.

It wasn't but a week later when she finally gave me her phone number.

We'd talk on the phone endlessly on days we couldn't see each other.

As much as I loved Victoria, I had made up my mind to join the military.

In August of that year, I left for bootcamp.

For three and a half months, Victoria wrote regularly with words of encouragement, a few jokes, and her lovely Polaroid pictures.

Fast forward 30 years into the present. How do some of us go about meeting potential partners?

It sometimes starts when we see the lovely picture of a potential partner in a dating website.

After online contact is established, the usual back-and-forth messaging will include a few jokes, and maybe a few words of encouragement.

If all goes well, this will progress into a cautious exchange of phone numbers followed by cordial conversations.

Provided the potential partner passes the "conversational litmus test" the last thing to occur is a face-to-face meeting with that person.

It does not cease to amaze me how the internet has completely reversed the order by which we sometimes go about meeting potential partners.

Victoria...I'm so glad I held you in my arms...before I held your pictures in my hands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,774,041 times
This beats the notebook. Darn it, you don't get pop corn when you need it

Old 05-22-2010, 06:22 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,550,180 times
You are absolutely right on this one. I noted it a few years back and pondered how stable these online relationships could be. Attraction and chemistry is a very important glue in a relationship. You invest a lot of time and energy getting to "know" someone and then you meet. What if you are more in love with the idea of the person rather than the real person? The foundation is the most important thing in EVERYTHING in life. Not just buildings. Education too. And especially relationships. Without a good foundation built on something real, I just can't understand how these relationships last.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,954,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
In January of 1979, at 18 years of age, I met Victoria. As if by magic, we were instantly attracted to each other.

For three and a half months, Victoria wrote regularly with words of encouragement, a few jokes, and her lovely Polaroid pictures.

Fast forward 30 years into the present. How do some of us go about meeting potential partners?

It sometimes starts when we see the lovely picture of a potential partner in a dating website.

After online contact is established, the usual back-and-forth messaging will include a few jokes, and maybe a few words of encouragement.

If all goes well, this will progress into a cautious exchange of phone numbers followed by cordial conversations.

Provided the potential partner passes the "conversational litmus test" the last thing to occur is a face-to-face meeting with that person.

It does not cease to amaze me how the internet has completely reversed the order by which we sometimes go about meeting potential partners.

Victoria...I'm so glad I held you in my arms...before I held your pictures in my hands!
I see your point, but I don't think every date is like this.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,954,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This beats the notebook. Darn it, you don't get pop corn when you need it
It reminds me of a "Dear John"

Old 05-22-2010, 07:05 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,419,280 times
Quote:

The rest of the post is up for debate, the part in blue is beautiful.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,174,303 times
Lovely thread. I am grateful I am married. I have a few friends that are online dating and the horror stories they tell me make me cringe. They spend countless hours talking to people, find one that really perks their interest, spend weeks or months focusing on this person and then find out the person is fake, a criminal or the chemistry doesn't exist in the real world. I know there are success stories out there from online dating. I would just like to hear one.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Lovely thread. I am grateful I am married. I have a few friends that are online dating and the horror stories they tell me make me cringe. They spend countless hours talking to people, find one that really perks their interest, spend weeks or months focusing on this person and then find out the person is fake, a criminal or the chemistry doesn't exist in the real world. I know there are success stories out there from online dating. I would just like to hear one.
I hear ya. I've had a few good flings and several bad dates as a result of online dating, but that's about it! Again, I'm just amazed how the internet has placed the order of dating completely on its head.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,419,280 times
Quote:
I hear ya. I've had a few good flings and several bad dates as a result of online dating, but that's about it! Again, I'm just amazed how the internet has placed the order of dating completely on its head.
Wait one cotton picking second. If you met Victoria in 1979 how were you online dating?

I have come to two conclusions:

1) You are cheating on Victoria.

2) You are Al Gore and created online dating right after you created the internet itself.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Wait one cotton picking second. If you met Victoria in 1979 how were you online dating?

I have come to two conclusions:

1) You are cheating on Victoria.

2) You are Al Gore and created online dating right after you created the internet itself.
I never stated that I married Victoria. I simply dated her between January and August of 1979.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships