Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men, do you prefer a woman who......
works full time 6 46.15%
is a stay at home wife/mother 4 30.77%
works part-time (less than 20 hrs/week) 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
And that's how he should be... American people are so judgmental. It's like a crime to live or think differently, even if you benefit from the alternative lifestyle.

I have always lived an alternative lifestyle, and I get a lot of flack for it, but I'm at the point now where my alternative lifestyle is starting pay off in various ways.
Don't pay attention to ninnies. Do your own thing. We have one shot at life and it's short. It certainly shouldn't be dictated by the personal issues of every tom, dick, and harriet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I should have clarified. What I mean is that does perceived respect by society matter? Who gives a flying fig? At the end of the day, the only people that matter are your loved ones and you. I, nor my dh, have never stopped to consider if guy A. or gal B. respects our trips. Frankly, I don't even know if such a thing can really be garnered, especially if you turn your tv off. And given the path you're interested in, it should be the last thing on your mind.
Yes Braunwyn, I agree. But I would argue that if everybody believed this way in their hearts, we would be living in a completely different world.

But such is not the case, which is why you see teens doing anything they can to get into Yale or Harvard, or why "mature" adults try and buy the biggest home or the nicest car their money can buy.

The bottom line is that it takes a special person (such as yourself) to break away from the pack and form their own core beliefs because humans have a herd mentality.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Don't pay attention to ninnies. Do your own thing. We have one shot at life and it's short. It certainly shouldn't be dictated by the personal issues of every tom, dick, and harriet.
Oh absolutely!

And on a side note, if you have time, you should watch this. It explains a lot about SICK American culture.

YouTube - The Century Of The Self - Happiness Machines 1 of 6

Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The basic problem is two people working just over works both people. I saw 60 minutes 20 years ago and I saw a story on an exhausted dual income family. I decided I was not going to do that. If I had to do that, I would have just stayed single. It has nothing to do with who could do what.
Agreed and it really depends on the people involved. My dh and I just had a conversation last night about children, time, staying home, etc. He mentioned that once he finishes his academic work, which is right around the corner, I could consider not working or maybe working p/t if we are blessed with children. I go back and forth on this depending on the day. Maybe things will change for me when that time comes, but when my work is interesting it's important to me. When I'm hanging out at night on CD, I find myself working. My dh, OTOH, takes work as work. He enjoys chemistry, but our level of passion is not congruent. Gender doesn't play a role here.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Yes Braunwyn, I agree. But I would argue that if everybody believed this way in their hearts, we would be living in a completely different world.

But such is not the case, which is why you see teens doing anything they can to get into Yale or Harvard, or why "mature" adults try and buy the biggest home or the nicest car their money can buy.

The bottom line is that it takes a special person (such as yourself) to break away from the pack and form their own core beliefs because humans have a herd mentality.
Hi Morphous01,

What ever works in my opinion. Personally I think people whine much more about social pressure than what actually exists. It exists, but I rarely see many people unable to function naturally. Since I believe we have many inborn dispositions, and that nature is also variable, one way is probably not going to work. Though there will usually be a majority with a more classical disposition because that is what selective pressure does. Obviously socialization works, but the only part that usually plays is how we react to sensual impulses. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks myself. Its the best way to learn the motto "to hell with everyone else".

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
i'm done discussing this with you, Shanequa.............please go back to your alpha female, grass eating, desperate, argumentative and no-doubt ugly female ways.

What the hell is the matter with you, OP? I can smell prejudice all over this statement. All of sudden, I'm not taking anything you say seriously.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

What the hell is the matter with you, OP? I can smell prejudice all over this statement. All of sudden, I'm not taking anything you say seriously.
I've read his/her other threads and it does read like trolling, so that may be it. The Shanequa thing does seem to have some racial tones to it, tho. S/he's treading an assinine line.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
As someone who has been on all sides (being a full-time working mother with a full-time working husband as well as being a SAHM, as well as working part-time), I can say that both people working full-time can be very exhausting for the family.
When I was unemployed, that was not the right move for me either. I felt helpless and insecure and couldn't relax without bringing any income home.

Sometimes, it's just good to find a happy medium, working reasonable hours, so I can still be there for my family.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Personally I think people whine much more about social pressure than what actually exists.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the ability to view how many people feel on a given issue largely depends on your vantage point. I find that many people of the upper class tend not to feel any pressure from society. And why would they, they have achieve the very thing society expects of them. Granted, they have pressure to maintain what they have, and achieve MORE, but that does not count.

I will tell you what though, in Korea or Japan the pressure is so great to achieve success that many young teens commit suicide just to escape the madness.

Asian Students, Depression, and Suicide: Begin with the Parents! | JANE'S MENTAL HEALTH SOURCE PAGE

Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but the ability to view how many people feel on a given issue largely depends on your vantage point. I find that many people of the upper class tend not to feel any pressure from society. And why would they, they have achieve the very thing society expects of them.

Granted they have pressure to maintain what they have and achieve MORE but that does not count.

I will tell you what though, in Korea or Japan the pressure is so great to achieve success that many young teens commit suicide just to escape the madness.

Asian Students, Depression, and Suicide: Begin with the Parents! | JANE'S MENTAL HEALTH SOURCE PAGE
I've heard of suicides over here in my neck of the woods in years past. One of profs was attacked while I was in school...in her home and it was brutal. The student was hoping to gain access to grading or some stupid thing. Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships