Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times

Advertisements

I'm single and have been enjoying it, to my surprise.
What about you?
I like it some days, but mostly I hate it, I was never wired to be alone, even if I am happy with myself

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples?
Not necessarily, I'm too young to feel odd yet, but it is awkward when men tell me I'm too pretty to be single...what on earth do you say to that??? haha

Are you putting up with being single until you're in a relationship?
I'm used to it now, but I'd rather put up with being alone than be with the wrong person.

Do you feel lonely and long for companionship?
I have good friends, but its not the same, so at times, yes.

What is the likelihood you'll be in a relationship or be married?
well statistically 90% of people get married right? so even though I have doubts, realistically, its gotta happen if I'm getting more and more attention from men as I get older and older (odd since I'm a woman, but I'm only 23, haha)

Are you the envy of your married friends?
that's funny..they actually feel bad for me..which is kinda mortifying...

What do you hate about being single?
Nobody to share special moments with..and lack of consistent sex (my sex drive is too high for singledom, haha)

What do you love about it?
I'm making a LOT of friends lately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
What about you?

I am on the "don't like it much" side of not caring. It's not like I enjoy being single, but I've had some bad experiences with females. Very bad experiences. I always thought I was a pretty good judge of character and could read people well enough, but I was very surprised at what happened the last time I showed a lot of interest in someone.

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples?

Yes, I feel like an oddball. It seems like Valentine's Day is just an excuse to make singles feel bad. It doesn't help that they advertise for Valentine's Day stuff like a month in advance..

I'm not holding out for anyone special, I can deal with being by myself.

The only reason I feel lonely a lot of times is because I don't have a lot of friends. The ones I do have are usually busy, and I hate to bother people with more important things to do.

I don't "long for companionship" a lot, but I do enjoy the company of other people, preferably females.

Dunno, you tell me?

Don't have any married friends.

freakin' Valentines Day. I just find myself not caring or not so cheery on that day. I'm fine every day before and after though

Not spending as much money, lol.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 AM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

That's very true, I could unknowingly marry a distant relative of Lorena Bobbit or some woman who was planning to set up a big life insurance policy for me and then make it look like I died in an accident. I have known many married couples who were absolutely miserable and fight like cats and dogs so things could be worse. To be perfectly honest I have always felt badly that I've never been able to find a wife and I've probably let that emotion get the best of me to the point that it makes me feel like a failure in life. I realize that isn't rational but it's something that's churning around in my mind.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've had to stop defining my happiness in terms of whether or not I have a relationship. I try to look for what is working and focus on all the benefits rather than what is missing or lacking, because the latter is simply going to take me down the road of feeling sorry for myself.

Don't judge yourself harshly just because you're alone. You won't feel better doing that.

What everybody else is doing is their formula for life, not necessarily yours. You are NOT a failure. You are so much more than you'll ever dream of and have tons to offer. If you don't believe that, no one else will. So the belief starts with you! And it has nothing to do with anyone standing beside you, because no one can add to who you already are. Why? You are an eternal soul of God and that speaks volumes -- temporarily masked by your doubts!

If one day there is somebody to be with, that may or may not happen. That is not something I'm going to be concerned with because it takes SO much energy looking for the right one, energy I'd rather invest in being in touch with me and creating my own happiness. I would never RULE OUT a relationship or marriage, because I don't know the future. But I definitely am not going to spend one minute feeling bad (I've spent MANY yrs already). I hope you can too!

When you feel great, miracles occur...you never know...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
My responses in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post

What about you?

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples? No.

Are you putting up with being single until you're in a relationship? Yes. If I am going to be with her, then I am going to be with her. I don't favor casual stuff...

Do you feel lonely and long for companionship? Not really.

What is the likelihood you'll be in a relationship or be married? I don't know.

Are you the envy of your married friends? Sometimes. Some of my married friends tell me to never get married. Some of them say it is not that bad. And some of them say it is the best thing that has happened to them.

What do you hate about being single? Going on vacations and eating dinner alone. Plus, it bothers me when I am somewhere where there are a lot of couples and I am there by myself...DO'H!

What do you love about it? I can do practically anything I want.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

What about you?

How are you defining "single"? I am divorced for many years now, so I am single. But I've been in an exclusive relationship for some time now. Still, I call myself "single".

Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
I actually enjoy it. I think I can remain this way for ever. I date when i want to and chill out for a while.

I never have felt the need to be involved like some do. I have lots of hobbies and interests that I want to pursue. I have a few CLOSE lady friends which is all I need.

When I need a date it's fairly easy to come by. Not to mention even for "intimate" relationships, it's easy to find someone that wants a long term 1 on 1 FWB. IF that's what I want.

Single life is the best.............for me.

Quote:

What about you?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM

247 posts, read 751,415 times
I love being single.

Do you feel like an oddball in this culture that celebrates Valentine's Day and gives tax breaks to couples? it's ****ty but it is what it is

Are you putting up with being single until you're in a relationship? no, I'm anti-relationship

Do you feel lonely and long for companionship? not at all

What is the likelihood you'll be in a relationship or be married? zero because I do not accept invitations

Are you the envy of your married friends? they say no, but I bet deep down yes

What do you hate about being single? when married/divorced people try to set me up with other people when I clearly tell them I do not want to date anyone.

What do you love about it? I like my alone time and not checking in with anyone or having to do what they want to do when I do not.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
I actually enjoy it. I figure, get it all out of the way. Take the time to develop yourself before getting married.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
Quote:

What about you?

I don't care about that, it doesn't bother me.
Pretty much yeah.

Lately yes.
I have been told by people I would make a great wife so Im not worried about getting married.

LOL, no, but I envy them sometimes.

It gets lonely and I love cooking, it would be great to cook for someone special.

Freedom.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I am undecided about it. I like the freedom of being single and the fact that I can focus all my energy on goals. On the other hand I think it would be nice to have a special someone.

That about sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships