Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times

Advertisements

No, I don't think people "owe" an explanation of past breakups. I do hope she gained something from her experience, though, and doesn't repeat her mistake. It sounds like she has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I have no doubt that there are things that most of us have done in the past that we would never do again because we realized what a huge mistake it was. If we disclosed all of the sordid details of anything we're ashamed of in our past to a potential husband or wife there's a good chance that not very many people would be getting married. Of course it also depends on how serious it was, if someone is a convicted felon even if it happened 30 years ago I would think that they should be explaining what happened and how they've changed their life. But there are other matters that may have not been illegal but they were immoral that don't necessarily have to be disclosed.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I have no doubt that there are things that most of us have done in the past that we would never do again because we realized what a huge mistake it was. If we disclosed all of the sordid details of anything we're ashamed of in our past to a potential husband or wife there's a good chance that not very many people would be getting married. Of course it also depends on how serious it was, if someone is a convicted felon even if it happened 30 years ago I would think that they should be explaining what happened and how they've changed their life. But there are other matters that may have not been illegal but they were immoral that don't necessarily have to be disclosed.
Yeah, I don't think we have to go back and confess to every sin we ever committed. Ha, wouldn't THAT be a long conversation...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
if he ever finds out, the relationship is doomed....tell him up front, then there are no lies to cover
I would never get married if I didn't feel I could be 100% honest with the person I was marrying and that they would be the same to me.
If I married someone and found out afterward that they had with-held information like this from me, I don't think I could ever trust them again.

Lying, is lying. AND by the way, withholding something from someone that they have a right to know, is also lying...I think your perspective mate has the right to know if you have had a problem with fidelity in the past.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
I honestly don't know....say he was the one who cheated on his ex wife. If he told me this now and I was to marry him someday...I would always ponder this in my head "Is he going to to this to me?" And set forth the paranoia..."Where you going", "With whom?", "When are you coming back?"...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I honestly don't know....say he was the one who cheated on his ex wife. If he told me this now and I was to marry him someday...I would always ponder this in my head "Is he going to to this to me?" And set forth the paranoia..."Where you going", "With whom?", "When are you coming back?"...
Exactly! Why open up that Pandora's Box!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Someone close to me is getting married a second time. Her first marriage fell apart for many reasons, but the main reason was her infidelity. She felt neglected in her marriage so she cheated. She later confessed it to her ex-husband and they could never get pass that.
Right now, she is agonizing whether or not she should have disclosed this information to her fiance. My opinion is that what happened in the first marriage is the past that doesn't need to be rehashed. She is not a perpetual cheater, she regretted cheating and wouldn't want to put herself in this position again. So I don't think she needs to tell. She feels bad that her fiance doesn't know.
What is your opinion? Don't you think that sometimes the past should stay in the past?
She needs to be honest with her new bf. This is his life, that she's playing with. He should totally be aware of the truth and what he's getting into. If he wants to take that risk, then, at least he knows.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 PM

269 posts, read 911,013 times
And people wonder why the divorce rate is so high. These 2 are getting married and they either have lied about the reason of a previous divorce or haven’t discussed it. Now all you who say if you say anything you are “dooming” the relationship, would you rather have a dating relationship end or a marriage? Because one way or another the truth will come out and it will be worse when it comes out later. Call me naive, crazy or whatever but in order to maintain a marriage there’s a reason to disclose something you don’t feel comfortable keeping a secret, however it should have been done awhile ago IMO. No you don’t have to disclose every other past relationship’s reason for breakup but you should discuss previous marriages and why they failed. If it’s meant to be they will discuss it and move past it.

To me this is her starting her second divorce not marriage.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:06 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
She's getting remarried, certainly couples talk about why they divorced. Anyone who cheats has a reason, unless they're a serial cheater. Of course, eventually they may have divorced anyway, but he couldn't get past what she'd done. She's feeling guilty about the omission and knows this man well enough to know it'd bother him.
To some cheating would be relative to the new relationship, I'm sure you've heard the expression "once a cheater..always a cheater".

Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
People live their life in chapters. She had a bad marriage in which she cheated for reasons we don't know. Not everyone's life needs to be an open book. She's clearly closed that chapter of her life and she should be able to put it behind her and not have to be judged by anyone for it any further. Especially someone who was not affected by choices. Her current fiance doesn't have to live with her past commitments. He doesn't need to know every flaw, mistake, or indiscretion. He and she, should be looking to the future and concentrate on one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships